RD Hunter Brzustewicz - Kitchener Rangers, WHL (2023, 75th, VAN; traded to CAL)

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Two ~6' 185lb offensively inclined right shot defenseman drafted in the 3rd round who saw their production explode in their D+1 season aren't comparable players in any way?

I just don't see that being the case. They even had/have similar warts at this stage in their respective careers. I don't think you lead a major junior league by such a margin in assists as a dman without having your hockey IQ be an asset either.

Yeah I mean, there's very few players even in the NHL that don't have a flaw or two. I just don't think Brzustewicz is quite the boom/bust prospect this thread is characterizing him as. He doesn't need to be Adam Fox to be an impact player at the highest level. Good defenseman in this league can 1) avoid the forecheck, 2) move the puck effectively in every zone, 3) break up the cycle.

From what I've watched of him there's no fatal flaws that would make him unable to do those three things.

FWIW the comparison that was mostly used on the Canucks board was Rasmus Sandin/. Similiar strengths and weaknesses. It's super hard to find a comparison for Hunter, because his skating is above average for the junior level, but his vision is elite.

Like it's been stated before, many Canucks fans where not too high on him, just because of his weaknesses. You don't see too many elite defensemen who posses his weaknesses (skating, muffin shot, average defender). This isn't even Canucks fans hating. He was a very polarizing prospect on our board. You had fans who loved him, but just as many who wanted to sell high.

Best of luck with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Seems like a very narrow definition of comparable to me but to each their own.
I mean, just watch them. They're completely different players. Fox was also much better defensively and offensively.

Nice hindsight 20/20 vision you used there.
No hindsight. I was high on Fox well before he became a Norris winner. These two players are not comparable.

It's hilarious that's even a controversial statement.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
That's correct, they aren't comparable players. Anyone who has watched both players will agree
I mean, just watch them. They're completely different players. Fox was also much better defensively and offensively.

No hindsight. I was high on Fox well before he became a Norris winner. These two players are not comparable.

if you say so

Some would say that they are similar sized right shot dmen who excel at producing offense would meet the criteria for comparable, but if you really want to get into the minutia of it then I guess that's your prerogative.
Definitely Fox was much better off the puck at the same age.

FWIW the comparison that was mostly used on the Canucks board was Rasmus Sandin. Similiar strengths and weaknesses. Like it's been stated before, many Canucks fans where not too high on him, just because of his weaknesses. You don't see too many elite defensemen who posses his weaknesses (skating, muffin shot, average defender). This isn't even Canucks fans hating. He was a very polarizing prospect on our board. You had fans who loved him, but just as many who wanted to sell high.

Best of luck with him.

Ya I mean I'd be perfectly fine with a Sandin-like player. I very much doubt the Flames just traded for a future #1 elite defenseman. I just disagree with the view that for him to translate into a NHL player he has to be that. Always room in this league for players that can move the puck effectively. Tyson Barrie has carved out a nice total career earnings as a smaller offense only RD. Sean Durzi is having a very nice year in AZ.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Two ~6' 185lb offensively inclined right shot defenseman drafted in the 3rd round who saw their production explode in their D+1 season aren't comparable players in any way?

I just don't see that being the case. They even had/have similar warts at this stage in their respective careers. I don't think you lead a major junior league by such a margin in assists as a dman without having your hockey IQ be an asset either.

Yeah I mean, there's very few players even in the NHL that don't have a flaw or two. I just don't think Brzustewicz is quite the boom/bust prospect this thread is characterizing him as. He doesn't need to be Adam Fox to be an impact player at the highest level. Good defenseman in this league can 1) avoid the forecheck, 2) move the puck effectively in every zone, 3) break up the cycle.

From what I've watched of him there's no fatal flaws that would make him unable to do those three things.
There is still a subset of fans, scouts, and executives that want big strong guys willing to use the stick as a weapon to clear the front of the net, puck movement be damned. If they will fight so much the better. The things you mention are all things that require smarts and the ability to bring it bear quickly but for some people that is a skill they cannot really measure so they default to size strength and meanness. You have watched HB a lot more than I have and I don't doubt your thoughts on him. Ultimately, I'm just glad the game has changed enough that someone 6 foot even or less and below 200 pounds can get a fair shot and a team will actually invest in their development. There is a path to the NHL for HB and that is all anyone can ask for right now. The rest will be up to him but as you've noted, he's got the basic tools and seems to have tremendous skill to create offense so he's got a good shot if it translates. Why anyone would rather watch a bigger slower guy clutch and grab and cross check rather than a skilled guy play is beyond me but to each their own.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Hunter Brzustewicz is just playing cracked hockey because he's mad that the Canucks signed their other 3rd-rounder Sawyer Mynio before him, with his extended anger being fuelled by the WJC snub.
They need to keep him angry to maintain this development curve; I recommend slashing his tires every few weeks, or signing Etienne Morin before the TDL.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

There is always more than one way to skin the cat (who came up with that saying it's really pretty gruesome when you think about it. Who skins cats and has done it enough to determine there are multiple ways of doing it efficiently? What is wrong with people). For some, the basic version of how they play can tell them enough, some are more nuanced. I think you and the poster you are having the disagreement with are both making good points about the player as someone who has only watched him play a couple of times and the little I read about him when he first hit my radar screen was that he was trending towards being closer to a first round pick. I think in general comparisons with players like an Adam Fox or a Quinn Hughes are unfair. That's an exceptional outcome and I'd like to think a guy like Seamus Casey can make the NHL without having to play at a Norris trophy level. I get your point and I don't doubt there are differences in skills and style but if they both more or less arrive at the same end I can see how someone would see it differently.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
It is fascinating watching this guy's stock skyrocket in the eyes of some fans now that he's been traded.

Vancouver fans were annoyed he wasn't even invited to the US WJC camp and the thread was chalk full of people telling us he's a dime-a-dozen small OFD that wouldn't improve the team. Now he's apparently going to be Adam Fox :laugh:

Last edited:

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
It is fascinating watching this guy's stock skyrocket in the eyes of some fans now that he's been traded.

Vancouver fans were annoyed he wasn't even invited to the US WJC camp and the thread was chalk full of people telling us he's a dime-a-dozen small OFD that wouldn't improve the team. Now he's apparently going to be Adam Fox :laugh:

Don't you know? If you're a Canucks prospect you're a bust, if you get traded you become a blue chipper 😆

Bru wasn't even one of our 5 best prospects, you can go read the Hunter thread on the Canucks board the general consensus was to trade him while his value was high, because he honestly seemed like fools gold. Even when it was announced we where getting Lindholm the general consensus was it better be Hunter going the other way, and if any of Hogs, Pods, Lekkermaki, Willander, or D-Petey where going out then we got fleeced.

The turnaround in this thread (especially by Calgary fans calling him the next Adam Fox) is hilarious.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I find this thread incredibly ironic after being humiliated for saying Adam Fox was a top 50 prospect in the ‘Top 50 Prospects’ thread.

The kid was the best prospect at the Penticton Young Stars tournament at 18. Anyone saying he wasn’t a top 5 prospect for the Nucks is embarrassing themselves. He will play. Likely a 4/5 guy who is a PP QB.

For the record, it was Jeff Marek who threw out Adam Fox’s name… not a Flames fan

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I don't think he's going to be Fox. I've been saying Poirier. But another flames fan pointed out that stylistically he's probably closer to Morin. I'm cool with that.

The Fox stuff though is probably just some people spreading fake HuBrz?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wish Brzustewicz the best in Calgary. But it's important to stress that he was far from the Canucks best d-man prospect.

That honor goes hands down to Tom Wilander, and the other Elias Pettersson (the Swedish d-man) who has already signed, was also clearly ahead of him. And the Canucks have already signed draft picks Sawyer Mynio from the Seattle Thunderbird and Kiril Kudryavtsev from the Soo Greyhounds.

I'm sure Calgary will sign him to an ELC at the end of his junior season, but at the time of the trade, he was still unsigned by the Canucks.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I mean with the season he's having he clearly has legit NHL upside, he's pretty well built for his size already too. The key will be if he can adjust to the faster pace at the pro level as he matures, especially defensively. He's a good boom or bust prospect for the Flames to gamble on.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006

Fox was drafted later than he should have been for a few reasons, but one of them was that he was a significant risk of going the free agency route because he was headed to Harvard. The Flames got him in the 3rd because they saw the value at that point in the draft despite the risk (surely they weren’t oblivious). Not like teams didn’t know what Fox’s upside was. Hunter however was committed to Michigan (not known for guys that graduate and go FA) and then changed his mind and went the OHL route. That “flight” risk didn’t exist.

Reactions: YMCMBYOLO

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Fox was drafted later than he should have been for a few reasons, but one of them was that he was a significant risk of going the free agency route because he was headed to Harvard. The Flames got him in the 3rd because they saw the value at that point in the draft despite the risk (surely they weren’t oblivious). Not like teams didn’t know what Fox’s upside was. Hunter however was committed to Michigan (not known for guys that graduate and go FA) and then changed his mind and went the OHL route. That “flight” risk didn’t exist.
Fox was only 55th on the McKenzie polling scouts list. Probably should have gone 2nd round. Draft concerns would have been strength/physicality (no surprise). Hard to know to what extent it was just teams having a guy they liked more or early murmurs about his Rangers love.

But unquestionably, Fox made a much bigger impact at the NTDP than Hunter did, who was more buried behind Hutson and Casey, whereas Fox set a then NTDP record for points by a defenseman and culminated in being named best defenseman at the U18s.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
I wish Brzustewicz the best in Calgary. But it's important to stress that he was far from the Canucks best d-man prospect.

That honor goes hands down to Tom Wilander, and the other Elias Pettersson (the Swedish d-man) who has already signed, was also clearly ahead of him. And the Canucks have already signed draft picks Sawyer Mynio from the Seattle Thunderbird and Kiril Kudryavtsev from the Soo Greyhounds.

I'm sure Calgary will sign him to an ELC at the end of his junior season, but at the time of the trade, he was still unsigned by the Canucks.
That’s fine. He’s probably our third ranked D prospect. I don’t think many Flames fans are expecting a perennial Norris candidate. He’s a good prospect that has some warts that need to be figured out

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Fox was only 55th on the McKenzie polling scouts list. Probably should have gone 2nd round. Draft concerns would have been strength/physicality (no surprise). Hard to know to what extent it was just teams having a guy they liked more or early murmurs about his Rangers love.

But unquestionably, Fox made a much bigger impact at the NTDP than Hunter did, who was more buried behind Hutson and Casey, whereas Fox set a then NTDP record for points by a defenseman and culminated in being named best defenseman at the U18s.
Yep. That placement on the McKenzie list undoubtedly was impacted by the perceived flight risk, which scouts and managers were live to. No team is scouted more than the USNTDP, he didn’t slip between the cracks. The Vesey (Harvard) drama literally was playing out in the spring of 2016 and at the draft (the Fox draft) his rights were traded. I follow drafts and prospects closely but not compared to the hardcores and even I knew about the perceived flight risk on Fox at that time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think of him as being like Jerome Poirier (only a rightly instead of a lefty). Very good offensive defenceman in junior with some warts. Maybe he'll work out and maybe he won't, but he's at least an intriguing prospect.
They are very different. Poirier is a lot fancier and has had more notable defensive problems over the years. Brzustewicz has a better offensive game than defensive, yet the question with him is that he’s 6’0, not that fast of a skater, and not the most physical. He may only end up a 7D.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
What has been happening to Brz???

His scoring has fallen off a cliff. Pointless in 6 of his last 7 games and Kitchener has lost 8 of its last 9 games.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
They are very different. Poirier is a lot fancier and has had more notable defensive problems over the years. Brzustewicz has a better offensive game than defensive, yet the question with him is that he’s 6’0, not that fast of a skater, and not the most physical. He may only end up a 7D.
You clearly haven't been reading this thread. Flames fans have declared the reverse, and that his defensive game is like Tanev

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I find this thread incredibly ironic after being humiliated for saying Adam Fox was a top 50 prospect in the ‘Top 50 Prospects’ thread.

The kid was the best prospect at the Penticton Young Stars tournament at 18. Anyone saying he wasn’t a top 5 prospect for the Nucks is embarrassing themselves. He will play. Likely a 4/5 guy who is a PP QB.

For the record, it was Jeff Marek who threw out Adam Fox’s name… not a Flames fan

What?

He was poor at that tournament, looked slow and struggled defensively and the poor performance there is one of the reasons that a lot of Canuck fans had reservations about him.

Hirose and McWard obliterated that tournament and were by far the most impressive prospects there (albeit much older).

Reactions: E D

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
He is really struggling and overmatched defensively lately. Very turnover prone recently aswell.
Kitchener’s schedule has had a string of 12 games against a lot of the top offensive teams and Bruz has been exposed over that stretch.

Canucks seem to have unloaded him at an opportune time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad