RD Henri Jokiharju (2017, 29th, CHI; traded to BUF)

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Like Teemu said, 5pts in 3 games. Or more accurately

Honestly, that usually only happens with offensive forwards (DeBrincat and Schmaltz being recent examples).

Out of defensemen we drafted, Stephen Johns is a middle pairing RHD....for Dallas. Leddy was acquired via a trade. Forsling was acquired via a trade. Outside of Jokiharju now, it probably hasn't been since Hjalmarsson that we've drafted a defensemen who has done anything for us. And he's in his thirties playing for Arizona now so....

Wasn't Saad one to?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I'm really baffled how the Hawks always seem to get good players out of the draft even though they don't have high picks since Kane and Toews..

It seems like their model is to just rush their prospects ASAP and it always seems to work.

He already learned all that he could in the CHL and it took an injury to Murphy before the season started to really get a serious shot at a spot. In regards to starting so early it also helps to have a future hall of famer as his partner mentoring him. Chara has been a great presence when paired with MacAvoy and we may be seeing this with Keith and Jokiharju.

Last edited:
Reactions: CallMeShaft

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Wasn't Saad one to?
Yeah, but like I said, we're better at it up front then on the backend. And Saad came into this league in 2013, which seems like forever ago if your a Hawks fan (those were the days).

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Stop playing so well, we need you at the WJC. :cry:

I am kidding, glad to see him play well. Really didn't expect anything from him. He has almost came out of nowhere.

7 goals allowed, +3 and 0+3. Great game.
Nothing against you, as you are a good poster with well thought posts. But I have to wonder what it is about many Finns not seeing how damn talented Jokiharju is? I mean it was obvious during already last spring’s national team pre-WHC games that he is really good and should have been a part of team Finland in the WHC.

But the Finnish coach chose ex-Hawk (AHL-Hawk really) Ville Pokka over him. And when I criticised it on a Finnish hockey forum, loads of Finns were telling that he was not at the level of Pokka yet. WTF really? Pokka was awful at the WHC and now we are exactly seeing what level of a player Jokiharju is compared to Pokka.

It’s an absurd joke to choose a player like Pokka over a player like Jokiharju to the national team. But the former head coach Marjamäki wasn’t anyway a good coach for the Finnish national team, so no wonder that he made choices like that.

I’m really happy that Jokiharju has got a very good chance playing for the Hawks. I have seen already for quite a while similar potential in Jokiharju than what Heiskanen has. They are both going to be exceptional top class defencemen. Really happy for Henri at the moment, just a pity that the Hawks had to still lose tonight.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If the trend continues, there will be soon multitude of threads along lines "How underrated Jonathan Toews really is in HFB?", "Is excellent production of Kane sustainable?" etc.

5 EV Assists in 3GP. 4 of them primary points to Toews' and Kane's goals by rookie D-man. Great Henri! Hah!

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Nothing against you, as you are a good poster with well thought posts. But I have to wonder what it is about many Finns not seeing how damn talented Jokiharju is? I mean it was obvious during already last spring’s national team pre-WHC games that he is really good and should have been a part of team Finland in the WHC.

But the Finnish coach chose ex-Hawk (AHL-Hawk really) Ville Pokka over him. And when I criticised it on a Finnish hockey forum, loads of Finns were telling that he was not at the level of Pokka yet. WTF really? Pokka was awful at the WHC and now we are exactly seeing what level of a player Jokiharju is compared to Pokka.

It’s an absurd joke to choose a player like Pokka over a player like Jokiharju to the national team. But the former head coach Marjamäki wasn’t anyway a good coach for the Finnish national team, so no wonder that he made choices like that.

I’m really happy that Jokiharju has got a very good chance playing for the Hawks. I have seen already for quite a while similar potential in Jokiharju than what Heiskanen has. They are both going to be exceptional top class defencemen. Really happy for Henri at the moment, just a pity that the Hawks had to still lose tonight.
I think it is mostly that I have not seen him play that much. I knew he was good at WHC camp. I am just a bit surprised he was ready so soon. Great player.

And don't remind me of Pokka, ugh.. I hope he doesn't play in big tournament for Finland.

Reactions: boyko10 and Koijari

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I really like Jokiharju's game. Kid is sick.

Lucky for him he also gets to learn from Keith. I would expect him to remain with the Hawks all season. Hawks have some nice ones in Jokiharju and Boqvist.

Jokiharju and Boqvist have a chance to be top pairing d-men in the NHL. Joki this season and Boqvist possibly next season. But the second 1st rounder in 2018 (Nickolas Beaudin) and the 2017 2nd rounder (Ian Mitchell) have almost the same potential to be top pairing d-men in the next couple years. Beaudin is the only LD among the 4 d-prospects and is playing in JRs (QMJHL/Drummondville) and Mitchell is in his 2nd year at Denver U. The hope is that 2 of the 4 turn out to be legit top pairing d-men, 3 of the 4 would be a bonus and all 4 would be hitting a home run. It's early, but so far Joki looks pretty good.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Jokiharju and Boqvist have a chance to be top pairing d-men in the NHL. Joki this season and Boqvist possibly next season. But the second 1st rounder in 2018 (Nickolas Beaudin) and the 2017 2nd rounder (Ian Mitchell) have almost the same potential to be top pairing d-men in the next couple years. Beaudin is the only LD among the 4 d-prospects and is playing in JRs (QMJHL/Drummondville) and Mitchell is in his 2nd year at Denver U. The hope is that 2 of the 4 turn out to be legit top pairing d-men, 3 of the 4 would be a bonus and all 4 would be hitting a home run. It's early, but so far Joki looks pretty good.
I really like Beaudin. I forgot the Hawks drafted him too.

Can't say I know much about Mitchell.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018

I was pretty high on Jokiharju in 2017 (had him over guys like Valimaki and Brannstrom), and liked him very much next to Juolevi at last WJC, but I do not think I would have dared to pick him for a senior world tourney. I do not know about you, but I personally can never tell for sure how the player will perform when the level of competition is drastically increased. Some quickly strive, others need time, yet others fail. So big kudos to you on this, I probably would not have dared to make that kind of call.

The other side of this is how pretty darn special what he is showing at 19, I hope he keeps it up.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
2017 draft continues to surprise people. *weak draft* they say, lol.
Yeah, this is really funny. After all it seems to be a very good draft, as there are loads of players already breaking through to the NHL. Maybe not real superstars so far, but for sure I see the chances to develop even to that in Hischier, Pettersson, Heiskanen and also Jokiharju. And loads of other players that are going to be really good NHL players. A very deep draft after all in my opinion.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Became a huge fan since I saw him in U18 Finnish Elite League and Jokiharju has been one of my favourite prospects since then. I was quite disappointed that he chose to go to the WHL because it's almost impossible to see their games, but seeing the results now I'm very pleased that he chose that route.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I called it, had him and Timmins as number 1 and 2 for who was bpa for the Hawks. Was really high on both those players from the start. Number 3 was a tie between Tolvanen/Kostin. I will absolutely take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad