RD Henri Jokiharju (2017, 29th, CHI; traded to BUF)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I watched most of the first 4 games for you guys, thought Joker played his best game yesterday by far, the other 3 games was pretty average overall but that is all you can ask for at this point with a young dman like him. shielded 16 minutes or so seems right for him currently.. what do you think happens when the blue line gets healthy?? will they move out a player to keep Joker up? has he done enough to warrant a move like that?

That's the biggest question: what happens when Pilut and then Bogosian come back? Honestly, Jokiharju has done enough that I would keep him around and in the lineup if they get Pilut back (he's been assigned to the Amerks and is practicing albeit in a non-contact fashion). Bogosian is further off.

His work against the Pens was interesting for me - he was the source of multiple odd-man breaks due to stretch passes (the kind that they were supposed to have used back in the Abysmal era but never could). His headman work is just dynamite.

Reactions: AmericanDream

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

This is at least the 2nd time in these first 5 games that he’s made a beautiful 2+ line pass to spring someone on a breakaway. The first one may have been even nicer than this one.

His transition ability is something the Sabres have not had enough of in recent years.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

This is at least the 2nd time in these first 5 games that he’s made a beautiful 2+ line pass to spring someone on a breakaway. The first one may have been even nicer than this one.

His transition ability is something the Sabres have not had enough of in recent years.

I'm definitely looking forward to many years of him and Dahlin stretching the neutral zone.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Only five games into his first season in Buffalo, Henri Jokiharju received an edict from his general manager that any young player on the Sabres’ roster bubble wants to hear: move out of the Buffalo Marriott at LECOM Harborcenter and find a more permanent place to live.

Henri’s been a positive point, for sure,” Krueger said. “Our D corps in general is playing quite aggressive on our gaps through the neutral zone. We’re denying entry into our zone quite regularly, which we're happy of. Henri’s one of the driving forces there.

“Of course, maintaining possession and breaking out under pressure is the test of a strong defenseman in the National Hockey League and it’s a tough test. Teams come hard and fast, especially when they’re behind as we’ve had a few times lately. Henri’s been good at solving pressure which is something quite impressive at his age.”

Jokiharju has quickly become one of the Sabres’ most trusted defensemen. Entering Wednesday, Jokiharju ranked seventh on the team in 5-on-5 ice time, ahead of Rasmus Dahlin, and his 7:40 on the penalty kill was fourth among the team’s defensemen.
(continued in link)

Nice article on Jokiharju.

He’s impressed me so far this season. I felt that he kind of struggled in the preseason and I wasn’t even sure he would make the team out of camp. I actually thought Casey Nelson might get the spot over him. But Joker has looked pretty darn good since the regular season started. I guess it just goes to show that you can’t put too much weight into preseason games, and that we fans only get to see a tiny portion of what goes into these roster decisions. The Sabres definitely made the right decision keeping Joker up and exposing Nelson to waivers.

I am sure there will be ups and downs for Jokiharju this season. But he has me excited about his future. kid is just barely 20 years old too. Hopefully he only continues to get better. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
His gap control and stick checks are

faf.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad