RD Filip Hronek (2016, 53rd, DET)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is there a chance that he'll play for Grand Rapids once his season is done this year?
I know he'll need to bulk up, but will he play in the AHL next season?
Would be highly shocked is he's not in GR next season. Would have fit in fine there this year. Over PPG and a plus 15 on a 9th place team. That's not an easy thing to do.

Red Wings Assistant GM Ryan Martin on Hronek:

"We felt the opportunity to play on small ice (in North America) was best for his development," Martin said. "It's just a bonus for us that he's playing an hour and a half up the street from us. ... He's most likely going to play one year of junior before playing in the American League (for Grand Rapids) or competing for a job in Detroit."

http://www.mlive.com/spirit/index.ssf/2016/10/red_wings_prospect_filip_hrone.html

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I've seen him a few times in person and he's going to be a stud once he adds more weight...have atleast 2 more games to catch hm unless we go up to Saginaw for more than the one he has against Flint

Last edited:

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Hronek is ridiculously underrated.
The only other CHL defense in their NHL draft +1 years that are doing better on a point-per-game basis are: Jake Bean and Samuel Girard (who is absolutely crushing it)

I understand that points-per-game can be a bit misleading, but if anything it should help Hronek's standing based on the fact that he's playing on a fairly bad team. He's second on the team in scoring despite having played in 8 fewer games based on the WJC and is one of only a few players that have a positive +/- rating (+15).

You'd have to wonder what his stats would look like on an Erie or London, although I think that playing so close to Detroit has its advantage so the Wings can keep a close eye on him.
He may be a kid that gets a few games for the Wings when they get officially knocked out of the OHL.
If you play fantasy hockey, now is the time to grab this kid.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
The only other CHL defense in their NHL draft +1 years that are doing better on a point-per-game basis are: Jake Bean and Samuel Girard (who is absolutely crushing it)

I understand that points-per-game can be a bit misleading, but if anything it should help Hronek's standing based on the fact that he's playing on a fairly bad team. He's second on the team in scoring despite having played in 8 fewer games based on the WJC and is one of only a few players that have a positive +/- rating (+15).

You'd have to wonder what his stats would look like on an Erie or London, although I think that playing so close to Detroit has its advantage so the Wings can keep a close eye on him.
He may be a kid that gets a few games for the Wings when they get officially knocked out of the OHL.

Grand Rapids yes...Detroit no

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

Hronek is my favourite prospect by far.

But he isn't pulling on a Wings jersey until late 2018 at the earliest unfortunately. He's just not big enough yet, and the Wings will ripen him good.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

But he isn't pulling on a Wings jersey until late 2018 at the earliest unfortunately. He's just not big enough yet, and the Wings will ripen him good.

We haven't seemed to ripen any defenseman good since Kronwall.

At least one of Ouellet, Sproul, or Marchenko were supposed to be great but none looks to be better than a 3/4D.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
We haven't seemed to ripen any defenseman good since Kronwall.

At least one of Ouellet, Sproul, or Marchenko were supposed to be great but none looks to be better than a 3/4D.

Ouellet's skating holds him back, Sproul's lack of aggression and defensive game holds him back, Marchenko was never exceptional at anything in particular.

Hronek skates better than Ouellet, has a stronger defensive game and more aggression than Sproul and is exceptional with the puck on his stick.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012

Yeah, I wish....given Ken Holland's history with "over-ripening" his prospects, I think 2020 is a more realistic time-line, and sparingly even then.

Someone mentioned Ouellett's skating being below average and I must disagree, I think he's a fine skater and has quite good hockey IQ, I think the Wings are going to sign him to a longer term deal that is going to surprise some people, I think he is valued more highly within the organization than most people know. That's why Brendan Smith, Marchenko and Sproul are gone or soon to be gone. the X-man won the defense contest among the youngsters.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Another goal and assist last night, bringing him to 60 points in 55 games.

35 points in his last 23 games

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Yea he's very underrated, the way he played this year was worthy of a top 15 pick. I think he's a much better prospect than say Bean for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad