RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Dude is already huge for his age he would be perfect paired with Seider in Detroit. EDIT: shyte both are RH.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I’d take Clarke ahead of personally , no knock to Jiricek though
One could argue that Clarke is superior to Power, so I’m fine with that. I think Jiricek and Clarke are close, though. Different players types, so it’s tough to make direct comparisons.

I think Jiricek is very similar to Moritz Seider (high energy, competitive, aggressive defensive player and strong skater). His stick-handling skill and shot really came along this year, he looks a lot more dynamic than he did a year ago, which can’t be said for Seider in his D-1 year. Seider is more physical but overall I think it’s a solid comparable.

Reactions: majormajor

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know it’ll anger some people for this to be said, but I’m going to say it.

I think we often see players from some of these smaller countries overhyped early on due to fact that they play in older international age groups due to the lack of depth for their countries and they also play men’s league hockey prior to their draft season. Eventually they usually fall down the rankings as all players are viewed enough and these accomplishments become less important and skill sets take on more importance.

I don’t buy Jiricek’s skillset as top 10 worthy. I don’t see the offense for that. I think it’s similar with the two Slovaks talked about as early first round picks next year. They look much more like late first/early second types. Nemec lacks standout tools and Slafkovsky needs to improve his skating.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I think we often see players from some of these smaller countries overhyped early on due to fact that they play in older international age groups due to the lack of depth for their countries and they also play men’s league hockey prior to their draft season. Eventually they usually fall down the rankings as all players are viewed enough and these accomplishments become less important and skill sets take on more importance.

I don’t buy Jiricek’s skillset as top 10 worthy. I don’t see the offense for that. I think it’s similar with the two Slovaks talked about as early first round picks next year. They look much more like late first/early second types. Nemec lacks standout tools and Slafkovsky needs to improve his skating.

I don't know about all this but obviously guys who are big and skate well tend to get overhyped 1-2 years out from a draft because they progress through the ranks quicker, then when everyone else catches up they don't stand out as much. Even more so with guys who, like Jiricek, are late birthdays and older than most in their draft class.

I haven't seen enough of Jiricek to tell if he's one of those guys though or if he's legit a top10-15 prospect in this draft.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018

And who is creating that hype? If people here on hfboards or social media doing that then I don't care. Most of people here are fans, not a hockey experts. But if pro scouts are saying positive things about these kids then I guess its means something no? Especially when you realize that scouts are not the biggest fans of Czech or Slovak hockey players. We don't have same reputation like in early-mid 2000s. They have no reason to hype Czech/Slovak hockey players. For example ... Oto Haščák (NY Rangers scout). This guy is one of the best Slovak scouts ever. Very critical towards Slovak players. But he said about Slafkovsky that there is top 10 potential (maybe even higher). I have no reason to disagree with a guy like this. He's not some biased fan. Like pgfan66 said ... a lot of things can change in one year. But right know, players like Jiricek, Nemec, Slafkovsky - I don't think they are worse than some of these top Canadians/Americans (Chesley, Luneau, etc.)

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno

Czech league is notoriously hostile to teenage players, I'd say it's actually harder to make the big team for a young Czech than it is for a young Swede or Finn. Prospects like Svozil fell down the rankings because they weren't being properly developed, not because they have less talent.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
And who is creating that hype? If people here on hfboards or social media doing that then I don't care. Most of people here are fans, not a hockey experts. But if pro scouts are saying positive things about these kids then I guess its means something no? Especially when you realize that scouts are not the biggest fans of Czech or Slovak hockey players. We don't have same reputation like in early-mid 2000s. They have no reason to hype Czech/Slovak hockey players. For example ... Oto Haščák (NY Rangers scout). This guy is one of the best Slovak scouts ever. Very critical towards Slovak players. But he said about Slafkovsky that there is top 10 potential (maybe even higher). I have no reason to disagree with a guy like this. He's not some biased fan. Like pgfan66 said ... a lot of things can change in one year. But right know, players like Jiricek, Nemec, Slafkovsky - I don't think they are worse than some of these top Canadians/Americans (Chesley, Luneau, etc.)

All I'm saying is that the results don't match up with the hype.

Players such as Geci, Myklukha, Chromiak, Knazko all talked about incessantly on this website and elsewhere. Two of them not drafted, and the other two are picked in rounds 3 and 5. All that discussion for what amounts to four players without much chance of reaching the NHL. Players such as Mysak, Svozil, and Pytlik were talked up for years before being drafted as potential first round picks. They end up being picked in rounds 2, 3, and 4. What are the chances that from these two drafts of these 7 Czech and Slovak players that were very hyped up that we end up with 2 NHL'ers?

We all fall into the same types of trap. Almost everyone ended up overrating these players. I'm part of it, you are likely part of it. It's everyone. It's easy to do so because we have the most information on these players at an early age. You can't make up names of players to place higher than them when you aren't watching the players who end up ahead of them until later on. Eventually, they start slipping down draft boards as all players who weren't playing mens league hockey at 15 or in the WJC at that age are able to be viewed by scouts and assessed. Teams don't care about what you accomplished. They are drafting players for their NHL team. If you don't project well to the NHL, you'll fall down lists.

Don't think that NHL scouts don't go through a similar initial process as people on this website. Why wouldn't they? There aren't that many places to find information on prospects. Many of them probably read this website or other places that talk about these players to find info about players as they begin researching players to scout.

I do however believe that they have an easier time dropping these guys down lists. Their jobs depend on how they assess players. Fair doesn't matter when you can be fired for your list. If they assess Knazko or Svozil as top 20 talents two years out from the draft, and then see 45-50 better players a week before the draft, thats how they end up in the third round.

I'm well aware that I probably won't convince people with an interest in these players going high in the draft, but I think its something that all of us need to start keeping in mind. The results of prior drafts and what occurs is right in front of us. We shouldn't let accomplishments cloud our judgment of these players. The easiest way to avoid what has happened in the past is to purely look at the skillset, and disregard WJC, WC, Mens League accomplishments. Those have to be considered irrelevant.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Czech league is notoriously hostile to teenage players, I'd say it's actually harder to make the big team for a young Czech than it is for a young Swede or Finn. Prospects like Svozil fell down the rankings because they weren't being properly developed, not because they have less talent.

What about Mysak and Pytlik? I could go back through earlier drafts. Do you remember how highly touted Lauko and Skakrek were? Safin was highly touted. There are a lot of examples.

And thats not to say that Czech Republic doesn't have some good players. Some guys end up really good. Jiricek could end up being the Necas or Zadina, but I think the point is that there are a disproportionate amount of these players from Czech Republic and Slovakia due to the process surrounding how they generate discussion. It's true that there are always going to be players who fall down lists from any country. There are Raty's and Veleno's in any country, but I think the process surrounding how these Czech and Slovak players generate their hype leads to a disproportionate amount of these players. People end up ranking them high because they are playing mens league hockey at 15 years old or playing at the WJC at 16 years old. The same could also be said to be true of some other countries. The same thing happens with some Swiss players. A guy like Nico Gross hyped up for years, and he ends up being a mid round pick that doesn't earn an NHL contract.

The reason why this happens less with the best Canadian, Russian, American, Swedish, and Finnish players in an age group is because players like Power, Svechkov, L. Hughes, Rosen, Koivunen aren't playing WJC at 16 years old. They aren't lauded for playing 5 token minutes in a men's league game at that age. They are judged almost entirely based on their skillsets because these distractions that generate hype for some of these smaller hockey nation players aren't in place.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
All I'm saying is that the results don't match up with the hype.

Players such as Geci, Myklukha, Chromiak, Knazko all talked about incessantly on this website and elsewhere. Two of them not drafted, and the other two are picked in rounds 3 and 5. All that discussion for what amounts to four players without much chance of reaching the NHL. Players such as Mysak, Svozil, and Pytlik were talked up for years before being drafted as potential first round picks. They end up being picked in rounds 2, 3, and 4. What are the chances that from these two drafts of these 7 Czech and Slovak players that were very hyped up that we end up with 2 NHL'ers?

We all fall into the same types of trap. Almost everyone ended up overrating these players. I'm part of it, you are likely part of it. It's everyone. It's easy to do so because we have the most information on these players at an early age. You can't make up names of players to place higher than them when you aren't watching the players who end up ahead of them until later on. Eventually, they start slipping down draft boards as all players who weren't playing mens league hockey at 15 or in the WJC at that age are able to be viewed by scouts and assessed. Teams don't care about what you accomplished. They are drafting players for their NHL team. If you don't project well to the NHL, you'll fall down lists.

Don't think that NHL scouts don't go through a similar initial process as people on this website. Why wouldn't they? There aren't that many places to find information on prospects. Many of them probably read this website or other places that talk about these players to find info about players as they begin researching players to scout.

I do however believe that they have an easier time dropping these guys down lists. Their jobs depend on how they assess players. Fair doesn't matter when you can be fired for your list. If they assess Knazko or Svozil as top 20 talents two years out from the draft, and then see 45-50 better players a week before the draft, thats how they end up in the third round.

I'm well aware that I probably won't convince people with an interest in these players going high in the draft, but I think its something that all of us need to start keeping in mind. The results of prior drafts and what occurs is right in front of us. We shouldn't let accomplishments cloud our judgment of these players. The easiest way to avoid what has happened in the past is to purely look at the skillset, and disregard WJC, WC, Mens League accomplishments. Those have to be considered irrelevant.

As fan of Czech and Slovak hockey, I know what he said about Geci, Myklukha, Chromiak and Knazko.

They have never been seen as other than selectable draft players. With a lot of skepticism regarding Geci and Myklukha.

When I expressed my skepticism about the possibility of seeing a Slovak selected in 2021, no one contradicted me.

Pytlik, no memory of hearing from him as a potential first round. Svozil, clearly yes last year, but he's been disappointing ever since.

I understand that the evaluation of Czech and Slovak players for the next few years may seem very optimistic but looking at things closely, I can guarantee you that concerning Nemec and to a lesser degree Jiricek, we are talking about players much more talented than all those that you quote.

If he had been born on September 15, 2003, Jiricek would likely have been selected between Clarke and Ceulemans this year.

A recent phenomenon has been observed: Czech and Slovak players (Dvorsky, Slafkovsky, Hamara, Petr, Jecho) appear at the top of the statistical rankings of the Swedish and Finnish junior championships among players of their age.

Last year, I predicted 7 Czechs and 0 Slovaks selected in 2021.

Today, I predict 11 Czechs and 6 Slovaks selected in 2022.

The level of Czech and Slovak prospects seems significantly different. When you hear about Petr or Jecho as potential first round, take them seriously. They are much promising than Geci and Myklukha.

And Jiricek is much stronger than Svozil.

Last edited:

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
What about Mysak and Pytlik? I could go back through earlier drafts. Do you remember how highly touted Lauko and Skakrek were? Safin was highly touted. There are a lot of examples.

And thats not to say that Czech Republic doesn't have some good players. Some guys end up really good. Jiricek could end up being the Necas or Zadina, but I think the point is that there are a disproportionate amount of these players from Czech Republic and Slovakia due to the process surrounding how they generate discussion. It's true that there are always going to be players who fall down lists from any country. There are Raty's and Veleno's in any country, but I think the process surrounding how these Czech and Slovak players generate their hype leads to a disproportionate amount of these players. People end up ranking them high because they are playing mens league hockey at 15 years old or playing at the WJC at 16 years old. The same could also be said to be true of some other countries. The same thing happens with some Swiss players. A guy like Nico Gross hyped up for years, and he ends up being a mid round pick that doesn't earn an NHL contract.

The reason why this happens less with the best Canadian, Russian, American, Swedish, and Finnish players in an age group is because players like Power, Svechkov, L. Hughes, Rosen, Koivunen aren't playing WJC at 16 years old. They aren't lauded for playing 5 token minutes in a men's league game at that age. They are judged almost entirely based on their skillsets because these distractions that generate hype for some of these smaller hockey nation players aren't in place.

You make some good points, however, I do believe that the issue is not that players like Myšák or Svozil got exposed with more viewings and competition. It's rather that they stopped improving their game. I remember a quote from some Czech scout a few years ago who said that he always fails to understand how much are Swedes able to improve their players from 16 to 18 years of age compared to Czechs. How they manage to have drafted kids that do not look like anything special at 16, and vice versa for Czechs. It's deeper than just fans overhyping their favourite prospects.

International games aside, Svozil simply wasn't getting better as an Extraliga player over the last two years, which is strange for a teenager. Myšák was a similar case. I think it's mainly because Czech coaches/GMs couldn't care less about developing young players, they take them as spare parts that can be used when older guys are injured or need some rest. Svozil was getting from 12 to 16 minutes of TOI, zero PP time. Forced to keep it simple, getting benched for two periods when a goal is scored after his mistake. That's how Czech coaches develop a young offensive d-man. I'm fairly confident that Svozil would have indeed been drafted in the 1st round had he been playing this past season in Finland or Sweden. I saw him play against a strong international competition last summer in Klášterec nad Ohří, he was a standout. Scored a great goal after end-to-end rush on Askarov. The way he was looking in Extraliga as a 17 year old was unprecedented for a teenage d-man since 1990's. Now scouts have him pegged as a defense-first d-man with a 3rd pairing potential, responsible in his own end and with limited skill-set? It's totally off but that's what does playing in Extraliga for a young d-man.

And Jiricek is much stronger than Svozil.

Stronger yes, more talented I'm not sure. He does seem to have a higher floor than Svozil. I hope he also gets a better coaching in his D-1 season.

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

I don't think there was a really big media coverage of players like Pytlík, Škarek or Safin. It was obvious that these were not top players, although for example there used to be a poll to see if Pytlík would be No. 1 in the draft. It soon became clear that this was complete nonsense.
In general, there was definitely no big hype of Czech (yes, maybe Slovak yeah .. :)) players. Until recently, there was not even a ranking of cz prospects (thanks to dirtyfighters). Among those who eventually fell, Svozil was classified after the U20 as the player of the first round in almost all rankings, then he fell because they stopped giving him space in the CZ extraleague. Nevertheless, the third round is simply an underestimation of its potential. I just agree with Myšák, there was a higher position there, but in the end he was really a player of the second round at that time.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
You make some good points, however, I do believe that the issue is not that players like Myšák or Svozil got exposed with more viewings and competition. It's rather that they stopped improving their game. I remember a quote from some Czech scout a few years ago who said that he always fails to understand how much are Swedes able to improve their players from 16 to 18 years of age compared to Czechs. How they manage to have drafted kids that do not look like anything special at 16, and vice versa for Czechs. It's deeper than just fans overhyping their favourite prospects.

International games aside, Svozil simply wasn't getting better as an Extraliga player over the last two years, which is strange for a teenager. Myšák was a similar case. I think it's mainly because Czech coaches/GMs couldn't care less about developing young players, they take them as spare parts that can be used when older guys are injured or need some rest. Svozil was getting from 12 to 16 minutes of TOI, zero PP time. Forced to keep it simple, getting benched for two periods when a goal is scored after his mistake. That's how Czech coaches develop a young offensive d-man. I'm fairly confident that Svozil would have indeed been drafted in the 1st round had he been playing this past season in Finland or Sweden. I saw him play against a strong international competition last summer in Klášterec nad Ohří, he was a standout. Scored a great goal after end-to-end rush on Askarov. The way he was looking in Extraliga as a 17 year old was unprecedented for a teenage d-man since 1990's. Now scouts have him pegged as a defense-first d-man with a 3rd pairing potential, responsible in his own end and with limited skill-set? It's totally off but that's what does playing in Extraliga for a young d-man.

Stronger yes, more talented I'm not sure. He does seem to have a higher floor than Svozil. I hope he also gets a better coaching in his D-1 season.
Jiricek is already a better player than Svozil today.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I agree with everyting what @Pavel Buchnevich said. I'd personally keep Jiricek and Nemec out of top 10 for now

The years of poverty in Czech and Slovak hockey have made you too negative.

When I hear that the Czech Republic is no longer a great hockey nation, I don't agree. The level of Czechia 2021 is higher than Finland 2013 which was considered a big nation.

It's just that the level has dropped a lot compared to when Czechia was a top 4 nation and Slovakia, very close to Finland.

But, Nemec is the best prospect in the history of Slovak hockey with or after Gaborik.

Last year he was very close to Brandt Clarke's level with a year younger.

If he has a normal progression, he will explode the benchmarks set by Clarke.

Jiricek is well ahead of Zboril.

In addition, two right-handed defenders.

I don't see many equivalents elsewhere. In Europe I only see Salomonsson. In Canada probably players like Luneau or Nelson. In the USA, Chesley.

Nemec is clearly the one who has shown the most things in game. There are only two defenders from the 2022 draft to have shown anything at the U20 world tournament: Nemec and Jiricek.

Absolutely not comparable with the last 3 drafts where the prospects were bad.

Zadina was a long way from having their draft credentials - 1. Zadina was selected 6th.

The level of the 2022 draft will be very high. But if Simon Nemec had been eligible for 2021, I would have seen him as a potential No.1.

There are still people who doubt Nemec. Do your research, watch the games. It's just fantastic to see such a right-handed defender perform well at 16 in such competitions.

Jiricek, you have to go back to the golden age of Czech hockey to see such a promising prospect again.

Reactions: james12 and kudla

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
I agree with everyting what @Pavel Buchnevich said. I'd personally keep Jiricek and Nemec out of top 10 for now

No, no. I don´t agree, not this time. I´m very high on Jiricek (also Nemec) and I don´t agree with opinion he is overestimated because he is Czech. Maybe 5 years ago this was truth but not this time. 2022 eligible Slovak and Czech prospects (Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek) are the real deals. And who thinks Salomonsson > Jiricek, Nemec, because he is Swedish, is wrong. My opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad