RD Brock Faber (2020, 45th, LAK, traded to MIN)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Faber is a tremendous skating right shot defenseman. He has good skill and the ability to move the puck, but he doesn’t do anything at an elite level other than his skating. He’s not a huge defensive liability, but that area of his game is not a strength. He has slightly below average size at 5’11 176.

He’s a 2nd/3rd round prospect for the 2020 draft right now, in my opinion, with late first round upside, if he has a good draft season. He played his first game of the season today for the 18’s.

Brock Faber at eliteprospects.com

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
how's faber this year? hope to see him in that american prospect game in a few weeks.
@Pavel Buchnevich

He's not done bad from what I've seen, but I'm not a huge fan. He skates very well, but the rest of his game is very bland. And I don't see any big weaknesses, but aside from skating, I don't see any area of his game that would be better than average for the NHL. I could see him getting to the NHL as a bottom pairing guy eventually. I would say he's likely a 4th-5th rounder, in my opinion.

Reactions: neelynugs

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Maple Grove, Minnesota native Brock Faber has spent the last two seasons with the United States National Team Development Program. Playing with the Under-18 squad, the defenceman put up three goals and nine assists for 12 points in 46 games this year. He helped the team to a second-place finish at the Five Nations. Last season he was part of the Under-17 squad. He scored three goals and 12 assists for 15 points in 53 games. He also had a one-game call-up to the Under-18s. Faber played for the US at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He put up two assists in five tournament games. Faber also helped the U.S. win a silver medal in the 2018 Under-17 Four Nations Tournament.

Faber is committed to playing hockey for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers next year.

In 2017-18 Faber was named the Youth Hockey Hub Bantam Player of Year for Minnesota. He played four games for the Minnesota Blades in the NAPHL U15, putting up six assists. He also played 14 games for the MNBEL Kings, scoring five goals and 11 assists for 16 points. Born on August 22nd, 2002, Faber is one of the younger players in this draft class.

Our Scouting Report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/05/27/brock-faber-scouting-report/

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bland is the word I use for this guy. He's okay. You don't complain about his play, but he doesn't stand out. His calling card is his skating. He rushes the puck pretty well, and is an above-average puck mover. Are there are huge weaknesses? No. I would be surprised if this guy isn't at least a good AHL'er, but I don't see it being realistic that he's any better than a bottom pairing guy in the NHL.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Bland is the word I use for this guy. He's okay. You don't complain about his play, but he doesn't stand out. His calling card is his skating. He rushes the puck pretty well, and is an above-average puck mover. Are there are huge weaknesses? No. I would be surprised if this guy isn't at least a good AHL'er, but I don't see it being realistic that he's any better than a bottom pairing guy in the NHL.

I get what you are saying, and it could be that he doesn't really offer enough to be an impact defender in the NHL. But I think you are selling his upside low, as I don't think this is a high floor pick, but rather a high upside pick instead.

Imo Faber is arguably the most steady, reliable and consistent dman in his own zone from any defender in this year's draft. He is good at everything you said, on top of that he is extremely poised in his own zone when he has the puck and you never see him panicking. I don't think he has much upside offensively, and I have seen him struggle little bit when trying to move the puck up to middle of the ice, which is the most concerning thing for me, but he can carry it out of the zone and looks comfortable making outlet passes to the wings.

I think he has the upside to be Christopher Tanev type of defenseman impact wise.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Got to watch this kid last night and I love him. Still very quiet game. But you would think he was a seasoned veteran junior/senior. No one can create space around him. Lots of smart little plays under pressure. Trusted to guard the lead in the last minute.

I agree with PB on the high floor, but I'm with Tuntrui on the upside. I don't think he'll ever be a big points producer, but he was making game winning plays that won't ever get an assist. If he gets a little stronger, watch out.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
High praise!
It's probably too early to be putting those kind of expectations on the kid, but everything he does on the ice is reminiscent of Martin. Really smooth skater. Isn't a bruiser at all but he wins his physical battles. Isn't really a dangler but has no problems skating the puck out of trouble. Makes the right decision with the puck.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I get Josh Morrissey/Jared Spurgeon vibes, great player.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I never understand why these type of high IQ, smooth skating D drop so much. especially seeing my sens take Kleven a pick before.

this guy screams high floor player.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I never understand why these type of high IQ, smooth skating D drop so much. especially seeing my sens take Kleven a pick before.

this guy screams high floor player.
Well your team only takes UND guys so they had no choice

Reactions: The Lukeman

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think that I found the reason why he was picked as late as he was: Poor vision...

brock-faber-2020-6562.jpg

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's been Team USA's best defenseman thus far. Really stepped up for the team. He's very smooth and I loved his physical play tonight.

I think York and Thrun have been slightly better. Their play goes under appreciated because it’s just expected how they’ll play. But Faber’s really stepped up his play. What I find interesting is how the Kings have picked in back to back years these very unflashy yet effective defensemen in Bjornfot and Faber. Both seemed like slight reaches, but it looks like both leveled up right after being picked, so they got something right in how they’re evaluating these defensemen.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
I’ve actually been impressed by his offense this tourney. Pretty good vision and anticipation. Hope that part of his game continues to grow.

Also, Kings had inside info on Faber— they hired Faber’s USNDT coach to be behind their AHL bench and traded up to select him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad