RD Brock Faber (2020, 45th, LAK, traded to MIN)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
5 minutes more than any USA player to open the Olympics.

Vs. China so not a ton to read into it other than he's made himself an immensely trusted option. Dude was all over the place today. I could watch him skate all day, fun to watch the nuance in his game as a dman.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
5 minutes more than any USA player to open the Olympics.

Vs. China so not a ton to read into it other than he's made himself an immensely trusted option. Dude was all over the place today. I could watch him skate all day, fun to watch the nuance in his game as a dman.

I've got to imagine Sanderson joins him on the top pair and they're playing around 25 minutes a night.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Cant believe he fell to us at #45. I am NO draft/prospect expert by any means, but I had thought he'd go 10-15 spots earlier. I see him as anchoring us on the 2nd line in the future.

Reactions: Kalv and kinghock

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Brock Faber is going to be one of those players who doesn't jump out at you in any one particular way but each time he moves up levels he just ends up being a really good player at that level. The Kings got a real gem with this guy in the 2nd round. He isn't quite the prospect Sanderson is, but he also isn't a 40 pick difference. If it was the way it used to be and college guys were drafted after their freshman year he would have been a 1st round lock.

Reactions: kilowatt and bsu

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

raw

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
He can learn a lot practicing with Brodin and Spurgeon, I am sure he has already picked up some things watching them. Really like the way he plays and can see him becoming a mainstay on the Wild for a long time. A player that can defend speed is a huge boon in todays NHL, and a right hander is very welcome. Just have to continue to progress and there will be opportunities in the not so distant future.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As a Ducks fan, I'm happy he's not in LA's system anymore, lol

yeah, brings the RHD list down to just Doughty-Roy-Walker-Durzi / Jordan Spence -Brandt Clarke - Helge Grans ;)

But I think most of us deemed Grans the most 'expendable' prior to yesterday, you can see how high on Faber we all were. This told us Blake was a little concerned--after this attempt to sign Faber--that he wasn't going to sign with us or was going to stay around Minnesota too long to risk it, so it made sense to work his value now and do everyone involved a solid.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Pronman called Faber equivalent to a top 10 pick in this draft. Says it’s close between him and Clarke. Says he’d be in the Savoie/Kemell/Lekkerimaki range in terms of value in this draft.

Reactions: William H Bonney

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
From the Athletic:

Brock Faber, RHD, Minnesota: Faber was expected to be one of the best players at this camp, so it wasn’t a surprise to see him perform well, but his defensive stick and skating really stood out. The combination allows him to kill a lot of plays despite being average-sized, and it’s easy to see why the Wild targeted him in the Kevin Fiala deal.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
There is not a great prospect who gets talked about less on this forum than Faber. I’d still slightly take Hughes as an NHL prospect, but it’s way closer than people think. This B10 defenseman POY is well deserved. I think this kid could be a big boost for the Wild in a couple of weeks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There is not a great prospect who gets talked about less on this forum than Faber. I’d still slightly take Hughes as an NHL prospect, but it’s way closer than people think. This B10 defenseman POY is well deserved. I think this kid could be a big boost for the Wild in a couple of weeks.

Hughes will give a team flash, Faber will give substance.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't watch as much Gophers as I should, so will defer to guys like @Bonin21 who do, but i must be missing something with this guy. As a Wild fan, and a fan of defensive Dmen, I want him to succeed pretty badly, but I just don't see anything special with this guy. OK but not great size, slightly above average strength, vg but not great skating, good but not great puck handling, vg+ composure in the D zone, but nothing special, slightly above average offense(he doesn't play the PP).

I don't see the surreal composure and skating that Brodin had at a young age, the size, strength or reach of a Guhle, Miller or Schneider, and even a guy like Addison has far better offensive chops.

Again, hope i am missing something, as MN could really use a solid, ELC, RHD to replace Dumba, who is surely on his way out due to cap restraints.

Congrats to the young man for the award, in any event. I will definitely be tuning in to the NCAA post season. Hope he changes my mind.

Reactions: Blueston

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You need both types of players to be successful, Hughes is flashier for sure, but also adds a lot to a team just like Faber does. I think offensive d-man get a bit unfairly criticized around here.

These guys would actually be a hell of a defensive pairing in the NHL.

Not that offensive defensemen aren't needed, just the value of a guy who can lock things down in important situations get a lot less run with many posters because it's not easy to look at a stat line and think a player is good at the non-scoring part of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad