RD Brock Faber (2020, 45th, LAK, traded to MIN)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Also, Kings had inside info on Faber— they hired Faber’s USNDT coach to be behind their AHL bench and traded up to select him.

He never coached Faber’s age group, but maybe he got good intel from others and saw something in practices and scrimmages.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Elite Prospects combines the two age groups for the NTDP juniors category. Look at the coaching categories, and you'll see double the amount a normal team has. Thats because they listed all the coaches there combined for the two age groups, like they did for the players. Appert coached the even birth year players, and Wroblewski coached the even birth year players.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Elite Prospects combines the two age groups for the NTDP juniors category. Look at the coaching categories, and you'll see double the amount a normal team has. Thats because they listed all the coaches there combined for the two age groups, like they did for the players. Appert coached the even birth year players, and Wroblewski coached the even birth year players.

He said in an interview he practiced with Wroblewski for a few weeks and played a game under him.

Interview begins around the 21-minute mark. The particular point began around the 27-minute mark.

So yes, you're right he probably gleaned more from practices and scrimmages, but he did coach him for a brief period.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Very impressive WJC. Haven't watched him in the NCAA but all reports have been glowing.

Three days younger than Byfield so he also would have been 17 if the draft were held at its usual date.

Can't project futures based on a short tournament, but his skating, poise and IQ make him look like an NHL player. To make a lazy comparison to a former King, Alec Martinez comes to mind. Faber is a RHD v. a LHD but they should wind up being around the same size and are defenseman that are just very well rounded. Faber probably has a little more pedigree than Martinez did and the hope is that he will be a better player but Martinez has had a very nice career.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
He just doesn't make stupid plays. I saw a lot of bad plays from Sanderson, which he nets out with his positive plays. Faber is just smooth as silk.
He is Al Green level smooth

images

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He just doesn't make stupid plays. I saw a lot of bad plays from Sanderson, which he nets out with his positive plays. Faber is just smooth as silk.

He made a few stupid plays. He had a very good tournament, but like any young defensemen, he makes his share of bad plays.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He made a few stupid plays. He had a very good tournament, but like any young defensemen, he makes his share of bad plays.

Ehh, I wouldn't say even a notable amount, and possibly fewer than any other USA d-man. It's maybe just relative because he was damn near flawless early on. I think as the tourney intensity ratcheted up and he got bigger minutes/role he went from 'damn near absolutely flawless' to 'merely superhuman' :P

He looked great overall, but I'd agree if what you're saying is the bigger role exposed some of his high-end limitations (at this point). The extra attention and puck pressure he received forced some uncharacteristic turnovers/fumbles. He was still excellent defensively, though.

I think the thing we've noticed with Faber this year--both in college and WJC--is he has more puck skating escapability than we thought, giving him additional moving/puck transport options, especially with his excellent skating. Very new-age NHL defensive d-man. We already knew he was good defensively even against bigger players--he uses leverage much like Voynov used to, checking in front of players and squeezing off the puck--but I think Kings fans (especially myself) underrated his puck skills/offensive IQ. May have a higher ceiling than we thought. Great value.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
His skating is ridiculously good and will help get him out of trouble. He plays a heads up game and can spot a breaking forward with a long pass with accuracy. We all know he was good defensively coming in but those were two things that I really enjoyed seeing from him in this tournament.

We also have to remember that he came in in top condition as he’s been playing games this year already. So he was a step ahead of a lot of other players coming into camp. The good thing is he used that advantage and ran with it.

he’s very young so sky is still the limit but I see him being a very good secondary defenseman that can contribute to the old fence just through the breakout and his unrated passing abilities. I see the comparisons to an Alex Martinez as there are quite a few similarities but I also see a little bit of a less physical Matthias Nordstrom in him. Always in the right place, very good at closing on his man, and always makes a safe play. May be a hybrid morph between the two players mentioned above

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I thought he was USA one of the BEST defensemen at the beginning of the tournament but got worse as the tournament went on. What a pick by the Kings.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He looked fast tonight. We'll see what he and the rest of the team do when they play some stiffer competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad