RD Axel Sandin Pellikka - Skellefteå, SHL (2023, 17th, DET)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Don't get me wrong. Pellikka is an amazing talent and prospect and will most likely be a good player in the NHL. But the best swedish born defender in the Swedish hockey league as of now? No, far from it.
I actually don’t follow the SHL in the slightest so I’m not really disagreeing as all my viewings are just clips.

Who even votes on these awards? If it’s media like some NHL awards, then yeah could very well be right. Those dweebs typically just go with the cool story rather than who actually deserves it

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Don't get me wrong. Pellikka is an amazing talent and prospect and will most likely be a good player in the NHL. But the best swedish born defender in the Swedish hockey league as of now? No, far from it.
Who is it if not ASP in your view ?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I mean....his teammate with 7 more minutes of ice time a night would seem like a good starting point

edit: looks like that guy won it last year and nobody has ever won it more than once, did they just not want to give it to him because of some stupid tradition of not having repeat winners?

Reactions: Jacob

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
There are several defenders in the league that could be ranked before him (Folin, Fantenberg, G Carlsson, Lindholm, Johannesson, Lundberg to name a few) without anyone raising a brow. There would be a discussion if he's even in the top 10 in the league among swedish defenders. I would put him around top 10.

There are two defenders that separate themselves from all the rest, and its not even a discussion that these two are the best. His teammate Pudas and Joel Persson.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Some of these awards may have been "controversial" but by the end of his draft+1 season, ASP has won best defender at the u18s, best defender at the world juniors, and best swedish born defender in the SHL.

People were kinda split on him at draft time, but with that kind of resume, hes turning into a pretty high end prospect. He'll be high on prospect rankings going into next season

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Bump...

SHL champ
2+5 in 14 games
22 minutes a night

k.jpeg

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Don't know how reliable the source is.
It's from Yzerman's end of season presser. It's not set in stone though, he just said it's likely but the discussion hasn't really been had yet.

Realistically though he can still learn a lot in the SHL. As good as he was this year, a full season of playing as a top 2/4D and getting stronger, more defensively reliable, as well as growing his offensive game (especially at 5-on-5) would go a long way to making him a prospect you can consider a threat to make the NHL in 2025.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Ansar Khan is about as reliable as they come for Red Wings news. If he’s saying 1 more year in the SHL that likely comes straight from the Red Wings.
It’s always been Detroit’s plan that he stay in Sweden for 2 years, before coming over. They want Seider and Edvinsson being completely entrenched before adding ASP into the mix. Whatever mix that may be when he comes over after next season.

If he’s ready, then they can protect him better in the NHL. If he’s not, then he’ll spend some time in GR. Which is going to be very crowded again next season and his minutes wouldn’t be as defined as staying put. Same thing with Anton Johansson. He’ll likely be staying in Sweden too, unless something unforeseen occurs.

They’ll have some decisions to make over the next year, because they have those 2 and Gibson, to add into the mix after next season.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
It's remarkable he made it to 17. He's so stupidly skilled and with hopefully a healthy off season he's poised for a big year.

I don't think you need to rush him to solve Detroit's woeful blueline needs, just let him keep making big strides in the SHL and hopefully he's ready to fight for a spot in 2025.

Reactions: Xerosine

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
It’s always been Detroit’s plan that he stay in Sweden for 2 years, before coming over. They want Seider and Edvinsson being completely entrenched before adding ASP into the mix. Whatever mix that may be when he comes over after next season.

If he’s ready, then they can protect him better in the NHL. If he’s not, then he’ll spend some time in GR. Which is going to be very crowded again next season and his minutes wouldn’t be as defined as staying put. Same thing with Anton Johansson. He’ll likely be staying in Sweden too, unless something unforeseen occurs.

They’ll have some decisions to make over the next year, because they have those 2 and Gibson, to add into the mix after next season.

That sounds like a good plan.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
It's remarkable he made it to 17. He's so stupidly skilled and with hopefully a healthy off season he's poised for a big year.

I don't think you need to rush him to solve Detroit's woeful blueline needs, just let him keep making big strides in the SHL and hopefully he's ready to fight for a spot in 2025.
There are way more disaster stories from defenders in the profile of Sandin Pellikka than sucess stories.

Remember how good of a D+1 Erik Brannstrom had and he was hyped to the moon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad