RD Axel Sandin Pellikka - Skellefteå, SHL (2023, 17th, DET)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Better than Stenberg and Lindstein?

Well I haven’t seen all games, but yeah, much better than Lindstein. Stenberg has been very productive but not more noticeable than his linemates (and he should be playing center).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevins

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I have nothing worthwhile to add to this thread. Seems like Finnish surnames are getting more common with Swedish prospects, which is interesting. Obviously Swedish surnames on Finnish prospects are far more common. I wonder if the majority of these prospects are descendants Finnish immigrants who moved to Sweden in search of a better life around the 1960s.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I have nothing worthwhile to add to this thread. Seems like Finnish surnames are getting more common with Swedish prospects, which is interesting. Obviously Swedish surnames on Finnish prospects are far more common. I wonder if the majority of these prospects are descendants Finnish immigrants who moved to Sweden in search of a better life around the 1960s.
Yea would believe these prospects have like Finnish grandparent/s or great grandparents. Nothing about them is Finnish though except the name

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I liked what I saw from three of the Swedish defensemen. Lindstein, Sandin-Pelikka, and Willander. I struggled to separate the latter two. It may be because I don't know enough about them yet. I would say Sandin-Pelikka looked like a solid-two way defensemen, but lacked any standout attributes. Really all three of those guys I'd say the same thing for, although I'd probably rank them Lindstein, Willander, Sandin-Pelikka in that order.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Yea would believe these prospects have like Finnish grandparent/s or great grandparents. Nothing about them is Finnish though except the name
Pellikka is from the northern parts of Sweden so his finnish ancestry could go way way way back, wouldn't surprise me if he has roots in Tornedalen/Tornionlaakso as it's a fairly common name there.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Higher than Lindstein?

I think the “current trajectory” part is crucial here. Lindstein came in with higher pedigree but Sandin-Pelikka has just been delivering so far this season. If this continues, there’s a decent chance he’ll pass Lindstein by the end of the year.
Yeah I just see ASP (can we just call him that lol) as a riser, thought he had a bit of a coming out party at HG this summer. Not that Lindstein was bad of course as he piled up points.

Just a gut feeling more than anything…to be fair ASP is playing very limited minutes in the SHL but it’s on a top team. It also may be more that I question Lindstein’s upside and question his inclusion as a first rounder more than thinking either is going to challenge for a top 20 spot in this loaded draft.

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
I get the draft is forward loaded and I agree with ASP being highly rated but did CSS just skip the WHL? Not having Dragicevic and Price as potential first rounders is just ridiculous IMO.
Yep I agree, I was puzzled by much of the rankings. Just thought it was worth noting that ASP is starting to gain more hype in scouting circles, and seems to have surpassed Lindstein as the top Swedish D for most

Reactions: BKarchitect

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure why CSS has such a stupid method for rating players.

A system that ranks Bedard in the same tier as 20 other guys is not one worth paying much attention to.

Should introduce "+" and "-" tiers within the letter grades to distinguish elite talent from late 1st round types.

But then again these are the same people who separate NA and International players in their rankings for some arbitrary reason.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
Not sure why CSS has such a stupid method for rating players.

A system that ranks Bedard in the same tier as 20 other guys is not one worth paying much attention to.

Should introduce "+" and "-" tiers within the letter grades to distinguish elite talent from late 1st round types.

But then again these are the same people who separate NA and International players in their rankings for some arbitrary reason.
I like it. Much more informative than some rankings this time a year.

When you watch amateur lists like THW or Dobber they just copy each others lists like muppets with little tweaks. When HP (their rankings) or McKenzie (average of ten actual scouts) publish their lists these amateurs change their list very fast to look like HP and McKenzie. Take a note!

So when you follow these true amateur websites you are basically brainwashing yourself a whole year. No wonder there is huge surprises in each draft.

As this is a preliminary list it doesn't have to be ranked this early on season. This way you get a fresh look who is 1st round calibre and how deep the draft is going to be. If you get just a simple rankings you miss the other aspects which are more important than who is where right now. You don't need this list to prove yourself that Bedard is 1st one picked next summer.

Lastly this is not a ranking - it is a watch list. Better took it as given.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad