GDT: Rd 2, Game 7: Avs @ Sharks | 7 PM MT | May 8, 2019 | Good season guys

Muffin1

Apr 24, 2013
Aptos, Ca
Good series folks! Your team is a lot to handle. I do not look forward to playing you in the coming years. Have fun with the high draft picks. You guys are going to be loaded with so much young talent.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Good game boys, we gave it our everything. We can look back proud at our season.
Really happy what we achieved this year.
Already looking forward to Octobre.

Reactions: drhiii

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I don't either, I really want one of Barrie, Makar, Girard out there at all times. But it's not what I want, it's what I think the Avs brass will do.

Trade Barrie and sign a UFA and you have 2/3 of a second line. Factor in the contract and past-arbitration and the writing is on the wall IMO.

Agreed with everything.

I will add that I don't think Barrie is worth what I think he will be asking for.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I also wish Bedz wasn't so stubborn regarding changing things up. Those powerplays could've been huge for us, and he just kept rolling that same group out even though it was clear that they weren't clicking at all.

Put Makar out there! put Jost out there!

I know he wants to show confidence in his players, but I think even they would understand.

It was past that point though. If it had just been a game or two, sure stick with your guys, but the PP had been struggling for too long.

They were 0 for 9 in their last two games. 1 for 20 in the last six games and 2 for 23 in the series.

Jost in for Wilson/Kerfoot and giving Makar a shift here or there on the top unit should have been no brainer decisions. Bednar's done a lot of great coaching this year, but he still struggles with lineup decisions. He's just too stubborn like you say.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
We need to keep Barrie. I hope we can get him signed in July. I don’t even wanna guess numbers, but it has to be close to $8M or more. I’m hoping we can sign him for $7.5M, tops, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Reactions: MrPeePee

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That third goal hurts, and it's another brain dead play by Zadorov.

I saw the puck rolling on TELEVISION and had a feeling he was going to try to flip it and fan on it. How he didn't realize it, with a bit of time, just shows how sorely he lacks hockey intelligence.

Do I want him gone? No, not at all. He completely changed the course of the Flames series with one hit, and then completely neutered Evander Kane in this series (though I do wish he picked someone else like Couture). It's just frustrating though. Such raw physical ability, but so much lacking upstairs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t think we’re as good of a team without Barrie. 3 puck movers was a big part of our playoff success. Sign him, and shore up the second line some other way.

They have to give some serious thought to this, even if they don't like the price. Even though he wasn't great the last three games of the series, Barrie was a huge part of their success up until that point, and down the stretch to make the playoffs.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Another thing I realized in these playoffs is Karlsson is a ****en *****. I would not give that crybaby $11M.

I’m going for the Hurricanes!
This team doesn't need Erik Karlsson with the defence we've got shaping up for next season and beyond. Add onto that I don't think he's going to be an elite defensemen for the duration of his contract, and I will happily stay away.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This team doesn't need Erik Karlsson with the defence we've got shaping up for next season and beyond. Add onto that I don't think he's going to be an elite defensemen for the duration of his contract, and I will happily stay away.
Yup im good saying no. Im not willing to pay the money and term for EK. His injury history worries me not his ability to play at a high level not to mention I dont think he would even consider us so its easy to say no haha.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
today: "Good series Avs fans! You're team is great!"

next round: "UGH THESE REFS HATE THE SHARKS UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH"

:laugh: that’s exactly what’s gonna happen.

All series they complain about officiating. But the second it benefits them, crickets.....

Reactions: MacBradley

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
There is zero reason for him to have Kefoot out there over Jost. Jost was one of our best forwards these playoffs night in night out and this was before he scored 3 in a row. Kerfoot did nothing to earn or retain his spot on the PP or in the top 6. The numbers and the eye test show that so why did Jared think it be a good idea to have Kerfoot out there with the season on the line? Makar and Jost are the bench while Kerfoot is out there trying to win a draw and board battles against Burns. The midget has spirit I give him that but thats it. He cant make a simple pass, cant win a battle cant score when called upon.

Yeah, that was totally inexplicable to me too. I said the very same thing. I'd way more want Jost in on the PP over Kerfoot. But it's obvious that Jost is now capable of developing further and will only become better if he gains a step and more strength and balance in board battles. Any talk of trading him as an add-on piece should be put to bed.

Avs definitely need an upgrade over Kerfoot and unless they get immediate help then Kerfoot will have a hard time justifying over $4M/yr for 2 years.

Some post-series notes. For all of Soderberg's production at key points this season, I was disappointed in his post-season performance. In fairness, he was snakebit at times by Jones. Key players that showed they're gamers besides Jost were Rantanen and MacKinnon (both clearly injured), Wilson, Landeskog, Compher, Calvert and Cole. Z was good overall. They all elevated their play. Nemeth has developed into a useful 3rd liner with value. EJ was not good. I love EJ but his role seems likely to diminish and perhaps more rapidly than anticipated. I can see them trying to move him. With more consistent production on the PP this team will be lethal. I thought the team was shaken when MacKinnon went down and understandably so. But it also was the sign of a young, inexperienced team. When things don't go according to plan, how you respond? I started to see that shift from playing defense to offense about a shift before MacKinnon returned to the ice. From a hockey fan perspective, I was really impressed with the Sharks' ability to neutralize the Avs ability to enter their zone in the last five minutes. They definitely showed their PO experience there. Their defense was also outstanding and their stamina did not falter. It was a lot of fun since no one expected the team to even make the POs. But expectations will be sky high next season. How will they respond?

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I do wonder what the **** happened to "Big Ol Carl" in the playoffs. I don't know whose drop off was worse: his or Erik Johnson's, but damnit if they both perform to the levels they were at in the regular season, do the Avs lose this series?

2 assists in 12 games for Carl Soderberg. Just brutal for a guy that set a career high in goals this season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I do wonder what the **** happened to "Big Ol Carl" in the playoffs. I don't know whose drop off was worse: his or Erik Johnson's, but damnit if they both perform to the levels they were at in the regular season, do the Avs lose this series?

2 assists in 12 games for Carl Soderberg. Just brutal for a guy that set a career high in goals this season.
He had his looks too, could have had 4-5 goals this playoffs if he finishes those chances.

Reactions: avsfan09

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Soda was my biggest disappointment in the playoffs. I don't know if he was injured, ran out of gas or couldn't adapt to a bigger offensive role. It seems that he performs better as 3C with lesser offensive players for some reason.

We really needed him to be our 4th best forward like he was for most of the season and he was nowhere near that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad