GDT: Rd 2, G6: Snow vs Fish | 8 PM MT | May 6, 2019

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
How much time did a trained MD spend with you before you realized you were having symptoms?

Not saying this applies to you guys, but often times players are downplaying their symptoms because they don't want to let the team down. That's why they need to be examined thoroughly and put through a series of tests.

I had no reason to downplay any symptoms. They just wasent there before

Reactions: BigMack29

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Would be crazy to win it tomorrow. We haven't been to the WCF since what, 02 against the Wings?

Yep, in their first 7 seasons in Denver they made the conf finals 6 times, after that drubbing against Detroit the furthest we went were the SFs on three occasions and managed to win a grand total of 2 games in those three visits to the SFs, getting swept the last two times against Ducks and Wings. This is the best playoffs run they had since 02, and if they make the conf finals it will be probably the best since 01.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
How much time did a trained MD spend with you before you realized you were having symptoms?

Not saying this applies to you guys, but often times players are downplaying their symptoms because they don't want to let the team down. That's why they need to be examined thoroughly and put through a series of tests.

That would work in an ideal world. Unfortunately players are aware of the testing.

As a result they can purposely score worse than they are capable of on the baseline tests. In doing so, when they get tested in an actual situation that requires it, even if they score worse across the board than they are capable of, they are still scoring closer to their baselines than they should be. Since it happens, the symptoms don't appear as severe as they actually are according to the tests.

Yes there are some validity checks in place to try and catch it (and cause a re-do of the baseline testing).

Unfortunately sometimes it isn't even intentional by the player. (Having a bad day / didn't sleep enough / mind elsewhere / etc > Poor results = poor baseline for future testing).

Here's a short article on a study done about athletes (focused on 21 and younger), over 55% of the people analyzed failed at least 1 validity measures (suggesting their baseline testing doesn't accurately reflect their actual ability).

Troubled testing: UWindsor prof warns concussion testing for young athletes may be flawed

It's unfortunate that there isn't a more concrete system in place (and I'm not saying that in some situations teams aren't compliant in rushing players back that they know shouldn't be playing), but the tools themselves aren't completely perfect either.

Even if a player is downplaying symptoms, it could have started well before the actual injury in some cases. Which means current testing doesn't provide data that is actually beneficial for a diagnosis (especially if the player downplays current symptoms or they are delayed in presenting to the player)

Reactions: Foppa2118

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Next season we should be competing for the division/conference title.

Our division is trending downwards, after 5-6 years of being the strongest.

Good time for the Avs to start playing great hockey.

I am not to sure about that. We are trending up, St. Louis is looking pretty solid and they wont be losing anyone important this summer, Dallas has the potential to improve more than decline this summer, Nashville is still solid...though I somehow forgot that Rinne is 36yo so Saros is going to have to prove to be capaable of taking over soon, Winnipeg is the one I could see trending down due to the sheer number of players they have to deal with this summer, and Chicago: though the draft lottery may have helped them stave off some of the pain, it wont be enough for long....they are in for years of hurt.

But even though there seems to be a bit of a changing of the guard for the central, I do not think they have lost the crown of toughest division. The worst team in the central was the Wild, and they still had 12+ more points than the lowest team in any other division. And to account for the difference in teams/division, they have 4+ points more than each of the other #7s. Or add up the ROWs of the top 7 in each...Central-277, Pacific-264, Atlantic-280, Metro-278. Right in the mix, despite not having a bottom dweller to feed points to the others.

Also, 3 of the 4 teams left in the west (well, 2 of 3 now that STL won), are Central.

Strange or Dre?
Demento

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad