Waived: Raymond waived with purpose of being bought out

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I want to thank Raymond for his time as he's getting the full hate-on right now. It really didn't work out here, but there were some highlights here and there and he was a consummate pro. Just wished he had some balance and strength on his skates.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Classy OKG. It's unfortunate, but in a cap system fans will develop hate for players that aren't producing. It's why some fans were turning on Iggy at the end of his time here.

Even though Raymond was not very useful as a player, he seems like a generally great guy and I also wish him all the best going forward!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Excellent. A pity it didn't work out but Raymond was nothing short of terrible while here. Good on Treliving for making the right decision; not only does it help the Flames, but it also gives Raymond a chance to play next season on another NHL team, versus spending the year in the AHL. It's the right move the by player as well. And hopefully Wideman's next.

Also, this strongly suggests the Flames are gearing up to go after a top free agent winger.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Also, this strongly suggests the Flames are gearing up to go after a top free agent winger.

I agree with this. The Flames could have used the extra space next year, but they've decided to shift that space to this year. Only reason to do that would be if they need that space to get someone under contract this off-season.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I'm not a huge fan of buyouts, just prolongs the cap hit. I would think there is perhaps a plan to use our extra space in additional moves now, or else Treliving wouldn't prolong a cap hit when it wouldn't be needed.

Also, Wideman will not be bought out, nor should he. When it was unsure if he would need protection in the expansion draft, I would agree that circumstance would lead to a buyout, and him having negative value, but he doesn't need protected.

I really don't get why everyone acts like he is immovable, he is still a contributing player, just overpaid, but only for one more year. He will be traded or on our roster at the start of the season. I hope he us dealt even if the return is a mid pick.

Last edited:

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
Yea, this makes me think the Flames have talked to a top 6 winger and feel like they have a good chance at signing him. No point making this move unless the space is used.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
So by my calculations, That leaves us about $21mill in cap space before signing Monahan and Gaudreau. If Smid really is on LTIR, that makes it $24.5mill. So estimating about a $14mill combined total for Monahan and Gaudreau, that leaves is with a little better than $10mill to fill out 2 forward spots and a backup. Wonder what the plan is moving forward. Getting Elliot sure helped the Flames cap situation huge for this season.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
So by my calculations, That leaves us about $21mill in cap space before signing Monahan and Gaudreau. If Smid really is on LTIR, that makes it $24.5mill. So estimating about a $14mill combined total for Monahan and Gaudreau, that leaves is with a little better than $10mill to fill out 2 forward spots and a backup. Wonder what the plan is moving forward. Getting Elliot sure helped the Flames cap situation huge for this season.

We can get Ortio for under a mil, one of the forward spots I think will be Hathaway or Hamilton, so we have lots of room to sign a big fish winger in FA

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016

Id love to get Hartnell (retained) and a top 6 winger.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hartnell
Top 6 winger - Backlund - Frolik
Shinkaruk - Bennett - Tkachuk
Bouma - Stajan - Ferland

Would be fun, lol.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Surprised that they just didn't ride out his contact or trade him with salary retained. Will be interesting what happens on Friday now.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
[nhl]804642[/nhl]

Yes that was one that came to mind, although more recently there was also that game against the Blackhawks where the Gaudreau-Monahan-Raymond line was buzzing and dominant.

Now just rid ourselves of Dennis Wideman and...

Gaudreau-Monahan-Stamkos :amazed:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Calgary made some space for a winger this summer. I truly hope they're smart with their cap though. I don't want 7 million for Luč or something; some smart cap management is needed here. Clearly Treliving is going Winger FA hunting now though.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
Also, Wideman will not be bought out, nor should he. When it was unsure if he would need protection in the expansion draft, I would agree that circumstance would lead to a buyout, and him having negative value, but he doesn't need protected.

I really don't get why everyone acts like he is immovable, he is still a contributing player, just overpaid, but only for one more year. He will be traded or on our roster at the start of the season. I hope he us dealt even if the return is a mid pick.

The problem most likely is that a 5.5 (6mill) Wideman is worth much less than a 2.75 (3mill) Wideman. I wonder if the owners will ever change their policies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The problem most likely is that a 5.5 (6mill) Wideman is worth much less than a 2.75 (3mill) Wideman. I wonder if the owners will ever change their policies.

Again, this policy was stated when Feaster was in charge. Since Burke and now Treliving have been in the fold, there has never been any indication that we would not retain on a player. In fact it was stated that we were willing to take on a poor contract to get an asset at one point, so it shows the Flames are flexible on such things.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Honestly, really happy that this is the case. Raymond obviously doesn't wanna get buried to the AHL, and could sign for another team somewhere that he could get a legit shot.
Best of luck to your future endeavors MayRay

moon*

Makes sense from a hockey perspective, but Raymond always conducted himself well I thought through what must have been tough times for him By all reports he was great when sent down to the AHL last year. Obviously didn't work out on the ice but I wish him nothing but the best, unfortunately likely in Europe.

Hopefully Wideman is next and Smid is on LTIR, but I am not sure that they have the desire to pay Wideman not to play and will try to force him into the line-up next year. Hopefuly Gulutzan isn't as tied to him as Hartley and cancels that plan sooner than later.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Raymond had a tough time in Calgary, he got the short end of the stick because he signed a big deal when we needed to hit the floor.

Best of luck to the guy, he'll probably get a tryout somewhere in the NHL.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Flames pick Chiasson @ 1.85M$ + 1.05M$ dead caphit the following year over a superior player in Raymond @ 3.15M$ for only one year. Fail. They could've at least brought out one of the overpaid crappy dman (Engelland) to clear up the logjam there instead

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Flames pick Chiasson @ 1.85M$ + 1.05M$ dead caphit the following year over a superior player in Raymond @ 3.15M$ for only one year. Fail. They could've at least brought out one of the overpaid crappy dman (Engelland) to clear up the logjam there instead

Chiasson makes 800K, not 1.85. Am I missing something? Regardless, Raymond is bad.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad