Waived: Raymond waived with purpose of being bought out

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Good news. Raymond didn't have a place on the club with all the additions and the kids coming up.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Ryan Pike ‏@RyanNPike
Mason Raymond WILL be bought out once he clears. We'll find out Dennis Wideman's fate tomorrow. #Flames

Wideman heading out too?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually don't like this. I would have rather just sent him to the minors and used a buyout on Wideman and Smid. That would have given us the most cap space if I'm not mistaken.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I actually don't like this. I would have rather just sent him to the minors and used a buyout on Wideman and Smid. That would have given us the most cap space if I'm not mistaken.

Can't buyout injured players. That's a no go on Smid already.

Wideman would cost double the amount for Ownership. At least when you compare the two players, Wideman can actually contribute to the team. I think they would rather payout the 1M for a guy playing in the AHL, than a guy contributing and paying 2M to definitely play for another team the next season. We can trade Wideman at the deadline if we are out of contention by then.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't mind Wideman. He can be somewhat useful. Still think we retain a million and trade him to a team like Edmonton.

I was thinking about this. If we had the cap room, and Monahan and Gaudreau only want to sign six year deals, we should sign Okposo to a 6 year 6 million dollar deal. He would be the perfect fit for that top line.

All their contracts will come off the books at the same time. So we can use Okposo's money to pay for Gaudreau and Monahans raises.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Given our ownership a history of being against buyouts, what do we need the space for? Maybe Tre's got something cooking up with a UFA

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Given our ownership a history of being against buyouts, what do we need the space for? Maybe Tre's got something cooking up with a UFA

Two mil is a nice amount of space, this team has enough money to go out an get a 4-5 mil UFA, and ice a team.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So it saves us 2 million this year. And the following two years is a 1 million dollar penalty?
Flames save about a million this year, because $900,000 is "buried" in the minors with Raymond.

Can't buyout injured players. That's a no go on Smid already.
There is absolutely nothing forbidding this in the CBA. Buying out an injured player is pointless because of the team's ability to go over the cap when a player is on LTIR.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the Raymond buyout, but I guess what it does is take a little flexibility away next off-season in order to give us the most flexibility this off-season.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Whatever happens, all the best to MayRay, good guy, just not an NHLer anymore.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Flames save about a million this year, because $900,000 is "buried" in the minors with Raymond.

There is absolutely nothing forbidding this in the CBA. Buying out an injured player is pointless because of the team's ability to go over the cap when a player is on LTIR.

I'm reading and it says and has to be a mutual agreement between the two parties. Besides, buying him out would be pointless as you said.

http://www.silversevensens.com/2015/6/10/8737195/nhl-buyout-rules-refresher-guide

Can anything keep a team from buying a player out?

By all reports, you cannot buy out an injured player without their permission. There is nothing explicitly about this in the buy-out rules in the CBA, but it's something that has been widely reported over the years from multiple, reputable sources, so if there's smoke there is probably fire. It is very likely linked to the waiver requirements.

You also can't buy out a player who has a new contract that hasn't started yet.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Glad to hear about the Raymond buy out. Not in favour of buying out Wideman. He's a useful D-man... overpaid but still useful, unlike Raymond.

Would be totally on board if the team bought out Bollig, but that's probably not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad