Waived: Raymond and Byron; Granlund sent down to Stockton

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Stoked to hear about Raymond. Good riddance. Quality person, waste of a contract.

Selfishly, I hope Byron clears and remains with the organization. But if he's claimed, I wish him all the best wherever he lands.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stoked to hear about Raymond. Good riddance. Quality person, waste of a contract.

Selfishly, I hope Byron clears and remains with the organization. But if he's claimed, I wish him all the best wherever he lands.
Agreed. Byron would be a major boon to the Heat.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I thought Byron was going to the farm lastyear.
Sure he's a good option as the 13th guy, but alot of overreaction about waiving him. He's not an important part of the team.....and never was.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Nobody claimed Raymond??

giphy.gif

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hartley on Granlund:
As for Granlund, the Flames are finally deep at the centre position (Sean Monahan, Mikael Backlund, Sam Bennett, and Matt Stajan) and the 22-year-old was the odd man out.

“He got better … but as we know, it’s about puck possession,” Hartley said. “So, if you’re chasing all game, it makes it tough. But Granny has done well, lots of great games, he had a great camp. That’s the reason why he’s been there this long. But we have to trim down the roster also.

“He’s still a very young player and he needs to play.”

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Habs fan here,

Paul Byron has been promoted to 1st line duties. He's completing Galchenyuk / Radulov duo. That player has simply insane speed and his puck control is awesome. I know that he wasn't scoring much with you but it seems that he worked out a lot on his break aways this summer and now he has 7g 5a 12p in 19 games

If that move wasn't done by the organization, would you guys still do it?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Habs fan here,

Paul Byron has been promoted to 1st line duties. He's completing Galchenyuk / Radulov duo. That player has simply insane speed and his puck control is awesome. I know that he wasn't scoring much with you but it seems that he worked out a lot on his break aways this summer and now he has 7g 5a 12p in 19 games

If that move wasn't done by the organization, would you guys still do it?
Yep, sure would. He's having a great year no doubt, but anyone that thinks he would replicate the same things here are lying to themselves.

Also thanks for re-hashing this, we already have a couple posters that still cry about Byron and overplay what he would have meant to the team.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Hindsight is of course 20/20, but I'm sure he would be able to add some value to the team in some areas we need to improve. Perhaps putting him on waivers wasn't the best move. In the same breath though, he's still a highly replaceable player.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Anyone who thinks Byron wouldn't substantially improve the Flames is kidding themselves. Guy is a complete heart and soul player; he embodied the team's character (or what it used to be). Byron would make us better in more ways than just depth scoring, his compete level improved the whole team.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hindsight is of course 20/20, but I'm sure he would be able to add some value to the team in some areas we need to improve. Perhaps putting him on waivers wasn't the best move. In the same breath though, he's still a highly replaceable player.

Actually the day it happened was 20/20. Pauly was a stud. Pretty obvious we let go a really good player. Just a terrible decision by our management. Bollig :laugh:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Management made a mistake; they gambled Byron would clear and lost. In hindsight, pretty obvious the Flames would do things differently, i.e, not waive Byron at all.

Byron absolutely would have helped the Flames right now; it's just sour grapes or pettiness to claim otherwise. He's a much better option than Vey or Chiasson, and brings more to the table than Versteeg and Bouma. Heck, he'd be better than Shinkaruk and Hathaway too.

Happy he's doing well though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yep, sure would. He's having a great year no doubt, but anyone that thinks he would replicate the same things here are lying to themselves.

Also thanks for re-hashing this, we already have a couple posters that still cry about Byron and overplay what he would have meant to the team.

I can understand saying that it wasn't an awful move at the time to an extent given we didn't know at the time that he would be claimed, but I don't think there's any justification for knowing what we do now and still saying it was the right move, or that you'd do it again. The only reason the move was made was for flexibility that we didn't end up needing; other than that we just lost a capable NHLer. Who would want that?

The things that Byron is doing in Montreal are in fact not much different than what he did here; literally the only difference is that the chances he creates are going in at a more realistic rate than during his somewhat-comical cold-streak here (which was an anomaly if you look at all his seasons before and after). He played himself into the top 6 here on multiple occasions, and was a consistent scoring threat and effective defender on the PK. Our PK hasn't been the same since he was claimed, although it's impossible to prove that it's causation and not just correlation.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I remembered the year before he was waived, Byron had so many breakaways and couldnt cash in.

If he had scored some of those, he would be a Flames today.

But yeah, there is a reason the Flames are constant hanging at the bottom. They are not very good at identifying NHL talent :laugh:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sure, he would be nice to have. He wouldn't score like that here, and he'd probably wind up getting waived later on anyway for some reason.

He's good, but he's not some franchise saviour. I guess we should've gotten Michael Grabner. Same stats, +17, exact same type of player. Meh. It's over and done with.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I remembered the year before he was waived, Byron had so many breakaways and couldnt cash in.

If he had scored some of those, he would be a Flames today.

But yeah, there is a reason the Flames are constant hanging at the bottom. They are not very good at identifying NHL talent :laugh:

It wasn't just that. Byron got injured in that playoff run season about 7 different ways, and then got injured again in training camp, and to be honest failed to play his best hockey in that camp, too. His inability to bury the season before combined with his inability to come in and guarantee his roster spot was what resulted in management thinking he would be safe to waive.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It wasn't just that. Byron got injured in that playoff run season about 7 different ways, and then got injured again in training camp, and to be honest failed to play his best hockey in that camp, too. His inability to bury the season before combined with his inability to come in and guarantee his roster spot was what resulted in management thinking he would be safe to waive.
which he would have been had Kassian's personal demons not reared their ugly head

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sure, he would be nice to have. He wouldn't score like that here, and he'd probably wind up getting waived later on anyway for some reason.

He's good, but he's not some franchise saviour. I guess we should've gotten Michael Grabner. Same stats, +17, exact same type of player. Meh. It's over and done with.

yeah but they do make a difference, when your stars play like crap, it helps to have guys that chip in instead of duds like Raymond and Vey

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
Byron would be tied for 1st with Frolik in points.

(and yes, I know he wouldn´t have such great numbers if still on our team)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Paul Byron would've needed an expanded role here to hit the heights he has hit. I have a hard time thinking he would be more than a 3C here. Plus the Canadiens are able to surround him with more talented players which has helped.

It's sad that we lost him for free, especially with the speed and skating ability he possesses when we didn't have to. He's better than the deadweight we have in our bottom 6, but life goes on I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00