Waived: Raymond and Byron; Granlund sent down to Stockton

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Only really surprised we are gonna run 3 goalies for a while. Maybe wait for another team's goalie to falter?

Why is that surprising? I wouldn't want the job of having to pick the odd one out, at least not right now. I think the plan was moreso waiting to see which of our guys would falter in preseason, but it just never happened; Hiller, Ramo and Ortio all look poised and ready to play.. running with all three is good for the purposes of showcasing as well. May the best two not be traded.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is surprising because if they demote them when they clear it would bring us to a 21 man roster

Yeah, it's weird. We already have 6 defencemen, and this would put us to 12 forwards if they were sent down.

Either it's precipitating some acquisitions, or else Treliving is trying to sneak these guys through so that they can be sent down without issue down the road when we get Brodie and Colborne back from injury.

Regardless, this is the second time that we've dangled Byron freely for all of the other teams in the league, and I just don't understand it (unless he clears, in which case they've done some solid assessment of how interested other teams are in him).

May 27, 2012
Earth
Yeah, it's weird. We already have 6 defencemen, and this would put us to 12 forwards if they were sent down.

Either it's precipitating some acquisitions, or else Treliving is trying to sneak these guys through so that they can be sent down without issue down the road when we get Brodie and Colborne back from injury.

Regardless, this is the second time that we've dangled Byron freely for all of the other teams in the league, and I just don't understand it (unless he clears, in which case they've done some solid assessment of how interested other teams are in him).

It's because Byron is expendable.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's because Byron is expendable.

By that logic, anyone is expendable. Byron does some things better than anyone else on the roster, like skate and kill penalties. And in this case, there isn't any real need to waive him, so it's tough to understand.

May 27, 2012
Earth
By that logic, anyone is expendable. Byron does some things better than anyone else on the roster, like skate and kill penalties. And in this case, there isn't any real need to waive him, so it's tough to understand.

I'm not saying he isn't better than any other players. Anyone is expendable though. If you aren't playing up to snuff, you're gone. The Flames obviously felt there are better options those in Training camp or as you said just trying to sneak him in the waivers. Still, out of all the players he was the one waived.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

How does the waivers actually work in this case? If a player clears waivers at some point of the season he can be sent to AHL without waivers (once or more?) during the season?

May 27, 2012
Earth
How does the waivers actually work in this case? If a player clears waivers at some point of the season he can be sent to AHL without waivers (once or more?) during the season?

multiple times. Once the players passes he can pass freely. Up or down.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm not saying he isn't better than any other players. Anyone is expendable though. If you aren't playing up to snuff, you're gone. The Flames obviously felt there are better options those in Training camp or as you said just trying to sneak him in the waivers. Still, out of all the players he was the one waived.

IMO Byron's direct competition on the roster was Jooris and Ferland, and he didn't outplay either of those two guys.

Additionally, it's less likely that we lose Byron on waivers than either of those two forwards, or one of our goalies.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
If theres room for him its a little weird, but out of the players left I'm not surprised at all. Other teams aren't going to value Byron as much as one of the three goalies, Bollig or anyone else on the current roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad