Rayan O'Rayli , From Russia with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
It's alright with me when players ask for a trade. You can't force someone to play with a team he doesn't want too.

i'm with you on this too , but in this situation the Avs wont have the upper hand vs the other teams in a trade. All the other 29 GMs will see Sherman coming from miles away and they will probably giving us a lowball offer for Radar.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
i'm with you on this too , but in this situation the Avs wont have the upper hand vs the other teams in a trade. All the other 29 GMs will see Sherman coming from miles away and they will probably giving us a lowball offer for Radar.

The good thing is they'll be enough teams that are interested that a biding war is bound to happen. I don't doubt for a 2nd the avs would get low balled, teams will get desperate enough and offer a legit package. Having said all this, lets hope Ryan wants to stay and TPS is just smoking good stuff right now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
An agents job is to remind the client it's just business. Sticking to unreasonable salary demands, reject fair offers, not managing to keep his clients emotions in check, trying to blackmail the team into overpaying by having the player sign in Russia and then demand a trade because the team won't budge would be a historically poor job by the agent and would possibly make the team so furious they'll make sure everything that happens happens on their terms and it might not be something the player would like.

I don't hold Don Meehan in the highest regard, but I can't imagine him letting one of his agents screwing things up that bad.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd

I have no idea where Avs pain threshold lies when it comes to O'Reilly's salary when it comes to matching an offer sheet but I would guess closer to $6M/year than $5M/year.

I think they did some weird thing with the calculation in this CBA, so if the offer sheet is for longer than five years you take the total offer divided into five, so for example if it's a 7 year $5M/year offer sheet, for compensation purposes it would count as $35M/5=$7M/year. I'm not sure of the exact details.

It doesn't matter. I'd be very surprised if we see any offer sheet for O'Reilly.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...ree-Agencyrfa-compensation-table-offer-sheets

10.4 Draft Choice Compensation for Restricted Free Agents

Any Club that is entitled to but does not exercise its Right of First Refusal pursuant to Section 10.3 shall be entitled to obtain Draft Choice Compensation from the New Club. The number and quality of draft choices due to the Prior Club shall be based on the average annual value of the compensation contained in the Principal Terms (as defined in Section 10.3(e) hereof) of the New Club's Offer Sheet (determined by dividing such compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
To me it seems like that's what TPS is trying to say without actually saying it. Just look at some of his previous posts.

Yeah, I've been called out already for having no bias towards TPS' snippets of info that he posts, something I won't deny, I'll keep reading them as long as he keeps feeling comfortable giving them to us. But I'm also trying to stay as grounded as possible in this. If there is some sort of rift in the relationship between Ryan and the Avs, Avs Management needs to FIX IT, and do it fast.

The good thing is they'll be enough teams that are interested that a biding war is bound to happen. I don't doubt for a 2nd the avs would get low balled, teams will get desperate enough and offer a legit package. Having said all this, lets hope Ryan wants to stay and TPS is just smoking good stuff right now.

I agree with this...no offense or anything TPS, but let's all just hope that, like I stated above, that this is a situation that can be smoothed out.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I suppose that worst case scenario with Toronto would be a sign and trade 1st along with a player or prospect(s) to compensate for the missing pick if they had wanted to offer sheet Radar. Can't imagine Avs letting him go unless its a large overpayment or Radar can find someone willing to pay the 5M+ and is really that upset with management.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Wrong. You're supposed to make as many excuses as you possibly can for Stastny's lack of production. Blame coaching, blame linemates, blame bad luck, etc.

Oh and he isn't right. I like Bender but I don't know how anyone can defend Stastny's play against the Oilers. Even the biggest Stastny fanboys who always defend him are saying he played poorly. The whole team was awful and Stastny played a big role in that. I won't speak about his effort because I don't know how hard he was playing. All I know is that he played like ****, just like the rest of the team. Whether it's fair or not, when the team is struggling to score, the highest paid player and number one center is going to get a lot of the blame. It's like that with every fan base and in all sports.

O'Reilly really needs to get signed ASAP. He should be able to take some pressure off Stastny and that might get him going.

I said I thought he was one of our better players and that I thought he played hard, I didn't say he played WELL. His linemates were also pretty bad, just like the rest of the team.

Also, I think it's great that you can call him our number 1 center when if suits your needs. He's also playing with our teams' BEST WINGERS right? Has been all of last year as well, correct?? Seems to me that IF he's your team's NUMBER 1 center, then you should give him every chance to succeed and that doesn't include saddling him with scrubs like Kobasew and Lindstrom for the first 20 games to start the season. Also, RoR actually had MORE icetime than he did over the course of the season last year. The number of times that Stastny got to play with Landeskog last season was the odd shift when RoR got off and Staz got on the ice (apart from PP time of course).

When you actually REALLY think about it, the fact that Stastny was able to produce 53 points last year is remarkable when he starts the year with Kobachew + Jones (who started last year about as well as this year) and then Duchene converted to center which did not work at all apart from 1 game against Dallas.

I still believe in this player, I really don't care how many people want to blame him almost exclusively for this teams' struggles.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I said I thought he was one of our better players and that I thought he played hard, I didn't say he played WELL. His linemates were also pretty bad, just like the rest of the team.

Also, I think it's great that you can call him our number 1 center when if suits your needs. He's also playing with our teams' BEST WINGERS right? Has been all of last year as well, correct?? Seems to me that IF he's your team's NUMBER 1 center, then you should give him every chance to succeed and that doesn't include saddling him with scrubs like Kobasew and Lindstrom for the first 20 games to start the season. Also, RoR actually had MORE icetime than he did over the course of the season last year. The number of times that Stastny got to play with Landeskog last season was the odd shift when RoR got off and Staz got on the ice (apart from PP time of course).

When you actually REALLY think about it, the fact that Stastny was able to produce 53 points last year is remarkable when he starts the year with Kobachew + Jones (who started last year about as well as this year) and then Duchene converted to center which did not work at all apart from 1 game against Dallas.

I still believe in this player, I really don't care how many people want to blame him almost exclusively for this teams' struggles.

He's supposed to be our best center. He has the most experience, in the past he has been close to a PPG, he's our best playmaker, and currently he's the best defensive center on the team. Unfortunately, he just doesn't play like it every night.

Back to the linemates excuse we go.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The last time stastny had any semblance of a truly offensive player was Chris Stewart.
I can't think of a single talented player since then except for duchene, who, we can all agree was not the same player as this year.

I feel bad for the guy. since stewart, he essentially has to carry his line mates because they wouldn't do anything without him.

McGinn, apart from a few good chances has been dreadful. He cannot carry the play or playmaker. Jones has been a bit better but he also has no playmaking ability whatsoever. Kobasew? Lindstrom? An aged hejduk?

It's an absolutely moronic thing to pair a legitimate PPG playmaker with a slew of 20 goal scorers.

Landeskog should've been on his line from day 1.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
LOL I think it's obvious that there's a rift between O'Reilly and Avs management. You don't have to be an Avs insider to capture that info. They're definitely at odds right now, and these contract negotiations are incredibly difficult.

It's not the first and not the last time that the Avs will get into a fued with a player. I'm sure it's happened many times in the past, especially during arbitration cases where your management basically undresses you as a player and softly (or harshly) criticizes what you do or don't do on the ice.

Some credit has to be given to Sherman here for holding his ground I guess....At least the Avs are holding ground to their beliefs - first with Suter/Parise and now with O'Reilly. I don't necessarily agree with it the way they're managing the cap. I think you have to spend at SOME point - you can't win poker just refusing to pay the ante all night. But whatever. They've got a blueprint I guess that they are sticking to hell or high water.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
If he wants to be traded, he needs to sign a deal of some sort, so that management can actually make a trade. Right now, Sherman is probably getting low-balled to hell from other GMs because there is no contract. So, if he wants out ala Turris, sign a damn deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad