Rayan O'Rayli , From Russia with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Maybe Stasnty's contract is the reason the Avs are afraid to spend money :laugh:

No, no, no...perish the thought. :sarcasm:

With SO many Avs fans, it's 'what have you done for me lately' without even the slightest consideration for any kind of reasoning as to why certain players aren't producing.

- Stastny sucks!
- Trade Duchene!
- We got ****ed over in the EJ deal!
- I can't believe WHAT we gave up for Varly!

So many Avs fans want the Avs to overpay to get O'Reilly signed (yes, more than $3.5M on 2 years IS overpaying) and IF he happens to have the misfortunate of NOT producing or have a stretch of bad games, it would be LET'S TRADE THIS JERK ASAP!!! :shakehead

Stastny gets dumped on so much around here, it's ridiculous. I'm not sure what games you guys are watching but by my count, he should have about 5 or 6 assists from all of McGinn's posts. That's just the way it goes sometimes. Those guys could actually be off to a 'hot start' but it's not going that way right now. I actually thought Stastny skated hard yesterday and was actually one of our better players while most fans in the GDT were just too busy getting pissed off at him as Edmonton started scoring. Since we weren't putting up points, let's blame IT ALL on our highest paid player. :shakehead All the while, completely ignoring that Jones actually did look drunk or lost and seemed to get in his own way sometimes. Not sure what's going on with him, but he didn't seem ready to start the season. Now I thought the team as a whole looked HORRIBLE but it's not like Stastny wasn't trying out there.

When the chances to score goals absolutely dry up and he's not creating ANYTHING, then I'll start to worry. That's not the case right now.

Stastny is ALWAYS at his best playing a cycle game down-low and for whatever reason, (coaching instructions or otherwise) that line is NOT doing that right now.

If Lando can come back sooner rather than later, I think those 2 guys could really click (as many others have mentioned as well) and could make a big difference.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Stastny is ALWAYS at his best playing a cycle game down-low and for whatever reason, (coaching instructions or otherwise) that line is NOT doing that right now.

A lot of it is Jones and McGinn can't win a battle along the boards and constantly give the puck up while trying to start a cycle. IDK how many times I've seen one of them dump it the the opposite corner when there's no chance another Avs player could make it to the puck before a defenseman. I'd like to see either Lando or Hejduk with Stastny instead of McGinn or Jones and see what happens. Stastny and Hejduk have had chemistry in the past so it's worth trying.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This Lacroix as the puppet master theory seems to be more fan fiction than reality. There is nothing that suggests Sherman and his front office is not in full control of how the organization is run.

Agreed...but the Avs organization shares the blame when fans buy into the notion that Lacroix is still "in charge." If we had a GM who talked to the press now and again like most other NHL franchises we'd be more confident that the guy they say is calling the shots really is calling the shots.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Agreed...but the Avs organization shares the blame when fans buy into the notion that Lacroix is still "in charge." If we had a GM who talked to the press now and again like most other NHL franchises we'd be more confident that the guy they say is calling the shots really is calling the shots.

Denver is a market where you can get away with basically not giving a crap about these things as a front office.

I'm not sure Sherman doing more media would matter though. I don't think I have heard/read anything from him that is the least bit interesting. He's one of those guys that wants to make sure he never says anything he might regret so he never expresses anything but the most obvious view.

I'm a bit surprised Avs aren't pushing Sakic out there a bit. He's well liked and could help Avs re-build their fan base. But I guess he's also a bit guarded and prefers to do his thing.

When I see/read all the interviews the GMs of Habs/Canucks has to do about Luongo/Subban I think about how comfortable it must be to be the Avs GM in comparison. You basically don't have to do any media and no one will call you on it apart from the odd Kizla-hate column once a month.

Last edited:

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
No, no, no...perish the thought. :sarcasm:

With SO many Avs fans, it's 'what have you done for me lately' without even the slightest consideration for any kind of reasoning as to why certain players aren't producing.

- Stastny sucks!
- Trade Duchene!
- We got ****ed over in the EJ deal!
- I can't believe WHAT we gave up for Varly!

So many Avs fans want the Avs to overpay to get O'Reilly signed (yes, more than $3.5M on 2 years IS overpaying) and IF he happens to have the misfortunate of NOT producing or have a stretch of bad games, it would be LET'S TRADE THIS JERK ASAP!!! :shakehead

Stastny gets dumped on so much around here, it's ridiculous. I'm not sure what games you guys are watching but by my count, he should have about 5 or 6 assists from all of McGinn's posts. That's just the way it goes sometimes. Those guys could actually be off to a 'hot start' but it's not going that way right now. I actually thought Stastny skated hard yesterday and was actually one of our better players while most fans in the GDT were just too busy getting pissed off at him as Edmonton started scoring. Since we weren't putting up points, let's blame IT ALL on our highest paid player. :shakehead All the while, completely ignoring that Jones actually did look drunk or lost and seemed to get in his own way sometimes. Not sure what's going on with him, but he didn't seem ready to start the season. Now I thought the team as a whole looked HORRIBLE but it's not like Stastny wasn't trying out there.

When the chances to score goals absolutely dry up and he's not creating ANYTHING, then I'll start to worry. That's not the case right now.

If Lando can come back sooner rather than later, I think those 2 guys could really click (as many others have mentioned as well) and could make a big difference.
Shhh...don't you know that no matter how right you are your not supposed to defend Stastny.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Shhh...don't you know that no matter how right you are your not supposed to defend Stastny.

Wrong. You're supposed to make as many excuses as you possibly can for Stastny's lack of production. Blame coaching, blame linemates, blame bad luck, etc.

Oh and he isn't right. I like Bender but I don't know how anyone can defend Stastny's play against the Oilers. Even the biggest Stastny fanboys who always defend him are saying he played poorly. The whole team was awful and Stastny played a big role in that. I won't speak about his effort because I don't know how hard he was playing. All I know is that he played like ****, just like the rest of the team. Whether it's fair or not, when the team is struggling to score, the highest paid player and number one center is going to get a lot of the blame. It's like that with every fan base and in all sports.

O'Reilly really needs to get signed ASAP. He should be able to take some pressure off Stastny and that might get him going.

member 116861

Wrong. You're supposed to make as many excuses as you possibly can for Stastny's lack of production. Blame coaching, blame linemates, blame bad luck, etc.

Oh and he isn't right. I like Bender but I don't know how anyone can defend Stastny's play against the Oilers. Even the biggest Stastny fanboys who always defend him are saying he played poorly. The whole team was awful and Stastny played a big role in that. I won't speak about his effort because I don't know how hard he was playing. All I know is that he played like ****, just like the rest of the team. Whether it's fair or not, when the team is struggling to score, the highest paid player and number one center is going to get a lot of the blame. It's like that with every fan base and in all sports.

O'Reilly really needs to get signed ASAP. He should be able to take some pressure off Stastny and that might get him going.

You could have just said my name, we all know you meant me.

:laugh:

SlyAvs

smokin Joe
Mar 21, 2011
Leafs rumor? of course ....Rumor Alert‏@Rumor_Alert

#leafs contemplating over offer sheeting Ryan O'Reilly.. Their offer would be close to 4.5M per

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

#leafs contemplating over offer sheeting Ryan O'Reilly.. Their offer would be close to 4.5M per

It is highly unlikely. Avs would match without thinking and Leafs would be hated by other teams for driving up salaries after a new CBA is signed.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

What is that 2 firsts and a 2nd? I doubt the leafs would want to make the sane mistake. I Also think/hope the avs match.

You're one of them. It was you and two other people I was thinking of.

Dmitri and...?:laugh:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
What is that 2 firsts and a 2nd? I doubt the leafs would want to make the sane mistake. I Also think/hope the avs match.

Dmitri and...?:laugh:

Under the new rules, I believe the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. I also believe that Toronto is missing one of the picks required in this year's draft.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd

I have no idea where Avs pain threshold lies when it comes to O'Reilly's salary when it comes to matching an offer sheet but I would guess closer to $6M/year than $5M/year.

I think they did some weird thing with the calculation in this CBA, so if the offer sheet is for longer than five years you take the total offer divided into five, so for example if it's a 7 year $5M/year offer sheet, for compensation purposes it would count as $35M/5=$7M/year. I'm not sure of the exact details.

It doesn't matter. I'd be very surprised if we see any offer sheet for O'Reilly.

SlyAvs

smokin Joe
Mar 21, 2011
Under the new rules, I believe the compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. I also believe that Toronto is missing one of the picks required in this year's draft.
Yes and they need to have their OWN picks in place

$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick
$4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd

I think they did some weird thing with the calculation in this CBA, so if the offer sheet is for longer than five years you take the total offer divided into five, so for example if it's a 7 year $5M/year offer sheet, for compensation purposes it would count as $35M/5=$7M/year. I'm not sure of the exact details.

It doesn't matter. I'd be very surprised if we see any offer sheet for O'Reilly.

Hmm, in that case I'd for sure keep Ryan. Looks like they want more teams to use the offer sheet tactic.
No team would give him the money to justify 1st+2nd in compensation.

Well that's ****ing stupid, does he even want to play hockey this year?

What gives TPS, why'd you edit your post?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

I dont think the Leafs will do it , but in the event that they do , like everyone said , i believe that the Avs will match it in a flash .

SlyAvs

smokin Joe
Mar 21, 2011
I dont think the Leafs will do it , but in the event that they do , like everyone said , i believe that the Avs will match it in a flash .

Yes i think so too but i hope they do it and we get O'reilly back on the ice.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
If that's how ROR gets re-signed, he's traded for sure.
The only chance we have of mgmt keeping him around for years is if he gives in and signs for what Avs are offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad