Confirmed with Link: Ray Shero new Devils GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
when i say "forcing," i'm really just referring to the fact that lou did not start the conversation about the change. if it were COMPLETELY up to him, i truly believe he'd still hold the position.

he was approached, obliged, reached a compromise. and this is the end result.

Maybe, maybe not.

Regardless of who spoke on the subject first, Lou is a shrewd businessman - that much we can agree on. A solid, viable organization does not exist without a contingency plan and succession planning. Lou did not just start thinking about what happens if he were to a) get hit by a bus b)start to take a lesser role c)groom someone to replace him d) and so on...

He also knows that once word gets out that he's thinking about stepping back from the job it becomes an ever-present line of questioning from the media so he would never slowly bring up the topic until something was decided so I am not surprised by the surprise factor itself on the move.

So to take your scenario and tweak it slightly; I'm sure there was discussion even if a very quick and short one when the new owners came aboard about Lou's plans and tenure. Did something change from that original discussion? Maybe, probably even. Was it something major or just a re-visit on the topic once Lou and/or ownership saw Shero get axed? Who knows. Maybe it was started when DeBoer got fired.

So maybe. Maybe Lou went to them first to get thoughts on Shero. Maybe Lou sped up his own timeline so long as he could stay to oversee Shero instead of making a clean break in 3 more years. Maybe they came to Lou with a windfall decision that Shero is the man they want and want RIGHT NOW and pulled the plug on Lou altogether. Or maybe they wanted Lou to vet Shero as a vote of confidence in his final act of loyalty to the team. It's all maybe. I just feel Lou would be as tight lipped as ever if there was the slightest bit of conflict in how this went down.

Lou is if anything one to stay more silent than vocal - especially in the midst of scandal as we saw during the investigation and penalty phase of the Kovalchuk contract. Am I wrong? It sure seems that way to me.

So for him to speak up in support of Shero so much, and specifically say this;

Lamoriello said the decision was “100 percent” his, and that it wasn’t a case where the team’s ownership forced him out. The Devils were sold to Philadelphia 76ers owner Josh Harris and business partner David Blitzer in 2013.

He cited his age (72) as a consideration, but ultimately felt getting an executive like Shero in place was for the best for the organization. And since Shero was in high demand, he had to make the hire now.

and to then speak to the Toronto reporter and others it has the effect of stripping away that cloud of scandal far more than build on it. But then I feel that there is 'much iron in Lou's words for all Comanche to see' so fault me for believing Lou too much if you want. I take his word more than a media person that has motives to build up a story.

We'll see eventually - that much is guaranteed. No secret if truly born of scandal will stay one for long.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Nothing is sacred in sports, seeing Marty in a St. Louis Blues jersey for 7 games this year should have driven that point home adequately enough for us.

If you want to survive, you have to evolve and adapt. Whether you want to or not.

Anyone speaking in absolutes on this matter is missing the point. This is completely uncharted water for us as a franchise. Of course there's going to be mistakes, or maybe it won't be as nice and polite as we want it to be. But this is a step our franchise needed to take.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If we hadn't missed the playoffs the last three seasons people would be more willing to take Lou's words at face value and not search for hidden palace intrigue.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
"They wanted a view outside the organization,†said Lamoriello. “They wanted a fresh view."

"Lamoriello said the decision was “100 percent†his, and that it wasn’t a case where the team’s ownership forced him out"

Somebody is straight up lying and doing a very poor job of it...intentionally if you ask me.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
"They wanted a view outside the organization,†said Lamoriello. “They wanted a fresh view."

"Lamoriello said the decision was “100 percent†his, and that it wasn’t a case where the team’s ownership forced him out"

Somebody is straight up lying and doing a very poor job of it...intentionally if you ask me.

the "fresh view" comment points to the fact that the owners approached him to broach the change, and he obliged. and even got to name the new guy. thus making it "100 percent" his decision.

just my theory, of course.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
the "fresh view" comment points to the fact that the owners approached him to broach the change, and he obliged. and even got to name the new guy. thus making it "100 percent" his decision.

just my theory, of course.

Well that is obviously the situation and it is obviously professional spin at it's highest level... because no sane person can reconcile those two quotes with a straight face.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Well that is obviously the situation and it is obviously professional spin at it's highest level... because no sane person can reconcile those two quotes with a straight face.

does that phrase not epitomize lou?

there's definitely no bad blood (obviously, he's still President of the team), but lou would definitely prefer to be GM today. he was weeded out, without being forced.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Our owners are business men. I would not at all she shocked if when they first sat down with Lou in the interview his age came up and was a factor for them. Here they are looking at a very successful business thats been run pretty much by one man. With not a sole behind him if they are needed.

My point is that these owners would be stupid not to have him set up some kind of insurance plan. Lou will still be showing Shero the ropes but as long as he is then our owners know that the Devils way will continue long after Lou is gone.

The question is did Lou pick the right guy and will the guy be around for a long time.

Lou found a replacement for Marty and he is signed for the next 8 seasons. I have total faith Lou did the same thing for the GM of this team. This team is like his baby he isnt just going to be pushed aside and he isnt going to leave it to just anyone. I also think if Lou didnt think any good options were out there he would still be the GM.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nowhere does Lou say he wanted someone from inside the organization (not to mention nobody is even qualified imo). He also may have wanted Shero ahead of others.
What does inside the organization have to do with anything...

You honestly believe he wanted to step down as a loser? That is not in Lou's nature to walk away from a job unfinished.... this clearly was not his choice. You can't slice it any other way. Shero, the Presidency, "his choice" is so much obvious diversion...the line that they are asking you to buy is too far fetched .

You know, Vanderbeek still has a job with the devils too. LoL.

Last edited:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Nowhere does Lou say he wanted someone from inside the organization (not to mention nobody is even qualified imo). He also may have wanted Shero ahead of others.

This is also very possible. Shero hasnt even been out of a job for a year and was getting calls and interest. Lou wasnt going to bring anyone in last year. Maybe Lou saw his shot at someone he believed in and took it.

Maybe Lou was working on getting Shero in as an asst. GM for a bit but Shero didnt have a desire to do that and had other offers on the table so Lou upped the deal. Lou can still do things. I know some of you believe that its a BS title but i have a hard time believing Lou would take a BS title just to do it. Thats not Lou like at all.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Does it really matter in the end if Lou was forced out, pushed out or completely made his own decision? I mean it matters to a degree, but not from the standpoint of there was going to be a change one way or another regardless within the next few years anyway.

I don't believe Lou would stay around where he wasn't wanted as a mere stooge figurehead though I also agree he didn't want to go out on the kind of note he did this year. So clearly the truth is somewhere in the middle, which leads to the 'pushed, not forced' camp...also consistent with the Hradek/TG tweets. But in the end it's a meaningless parlor game to guess what Lou's feeling and thinking. Only one person knows that and he ain't writing a tell-all book anytime soon.

Last edited:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
What does inside the organization have to do with anything...

You honestly believe he wanted to step down as a loser? That is not in Lou's nature to walk away from a job unfinished.... this clearly was not his choice. You can't slice it any other way. Shero, the Presidency, "his choice" is so much obvious diversion...the line that they are asking you to buy is to far fetxhed .

You know, Vanderbeek still has a job with the devils too. LoL.

Lou's not stupid he knew how much it was going to take for the Devils to be back. It very well may not happen until he is close to 80. You give Shero the keys now show him the way, Lou can still be President and have an impact on things and this way the team is secure moving forward with someone he trusts.

He's giving up his GM duties at a time when the team is most flexible.

Its also not like Lou to just be ok with being a puppet. If the ownership really wanted him gone, Lou could have simply decided it was time to "retire" and sited his age and no one would have questioned him at all!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean if this was a completely hostile takeover would Lou have really spent MONTHS talking with Shero, essentially vetting him? They did talk during the season it would seem. It's kind of the same way Marty left...wasn't truly forced out, but the writing was on the wall.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Does it really matter in the end if Lou was forced out, pushed out or completely made his own decision? I mean it matters to a degree, but not from the standpoint of there was going to be a change one way or another regardless within the next few years anyway.

It matters a tremendous amount. And that is precisely why it is being presented this way.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Pushed not forced? Wow. That line is so razor thin. This is a game of optics that I honesty can't believe anyone is buying.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Its also not like Lou to just be ok with being a puppet. If the ownership really wanted him gone, Lou could have simply decided it was time to "retire" and sited his age and no one would have questioned him at all!

Or use the excuse/reason that many others have used on leaving the Devils...'I wanted to be closer to home, with family...I wanted to enjoy my grandkids'. That would have been believable too.

But like I said before if we had made the playoffs and won a round or two nobody'd be questioning whether ownership wanted Lou out or not, it's the fact results have been what they are that make people skeptical...not to mention the TG/Hradek Tweets.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I hate to toot my own horn but I called this (somewhat) as soon as Harris and Blitzer came in.

They don't have the same emotional attachment that JVB (certified NJD fanboy) or anyone on this board has. They never did. They're sharks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Pushed not forced? Wow. That line is so razor thin. This is a game of optics that I honesty can't believe anyone is buying.

If I was told in no uncertain terms to get out, I sure as **** wouldn't be helping the people that fired me find my successor. Why would Lou keep his loyalty to the organization when it's got new ownership that let him go with many different players/staff?

I hate to toot my own horn but I called this (somewhat) as soon as Harris and Blitzer came in.

They don't have the same emotional attachment that JVB (certified NJD fanboy) or anyone on this board has. They never did. They're sharks.

That's fine but if the team had made the playoffs the last couple years it'd be a way different story. Plus it's not as if they know anything about hockey enough to hire and fire people.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think it was 100% either Lou or ownership that decided to make the move. It was probably a little of both.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

They probably had the year end meeting with him one on one and laid everything out. They respect everything he has done but think it is the teams best interest if he delegates some of his position out as he has too much on his plate. If he was given the option to resign or quit he wouldn't get to hire his replacement.

Lou hasn't been producing a winner and that is all that matters. The owners arent bullies or jerks for asking a legend to find his replacement. They are also not needing to give him a big thank you speech as he is still TEAM PRESIDENT. I don't get all this conspiracy theory talk or think it's a big deal. He was asked to find a replacement and did, why does it matter??

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
That's fine but if the team had made the playoffs the last couple years it'd be a way different story. Plus it's not as if they know anything about hockey enough to hire and fire people.

It would be. But it's not, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

He has not gotten very positive results in recent years and that is more than enough reason to believe that his bosses - who made their billions by firing, hiring, and restructuring - gave him the option to resign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad