Confirmed with Link: Ray Shero new Devils GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I doubt our owners know enough about hockey to say who he should have picked.

Unless there is a unnamed consultant assisting them........That would be only detail that could reinforce Jim's theory. I have a hard time believing that they are familiar with Peter Chiarelli or Ray Shero.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Unless there is a unnamed consultant assisting them........That would be only detail that could reinforce Jim's theory. I have a hard time believing that they are familiar with Peter Chiarelli or Ray Shero.

I really have no theory. Lou was pushed out and that is quite obvious.

How Shero was named is irrelevant...I keep trying to say this but Shero is completely irrelevant to this conversation from my perspective.

Ownership wanted a change and wanted the cover from the bad publicity of firing a legend...Lou obliged.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

How Shero was named is irrelevant...I keep trying to say this but Shero is completely irrelevant to this conversation from my perspective.

Ownership want a change and wanted the cover from the bad publicity of firing a legend...Lou obliged.

Lou was never going to be removed in a traditional fashion. We all knew that. It was going to be at a staggered pace on his terms.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

Ownership wanted a change and wanted the cover from the bad publicity of firing a legend...Lou obliged.

I must have missed the part of the conversation where this is really in dispute. The only thing that might be disputed is just how long ago the decision was made and how long the "negotiations" were going on.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

well put, and i'm starting to become of this mindset as well. especially with that "good health" comment in that toronto sun article, and the "they wanted a fresh view" quote.

to the people pointing to lou's feel-good, "it was my decision" quotes -- what the hell else is he supposed to say?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
well put, and i'm starting to become of this mindset as well. especially with that "good health" comment in that toronto sun article, and the "they wanted a fresh view" quote.

to the people pointing to lou's feel-good, "it was my decision" quotes -- what the hell else is he supposed to say?

I would assume Lou had to have known that he was on the proverbial hot seat? The particular timing of the DeBoer firing was flat out strange (why not let him finish the season?) and the consequent coaching triumvirate was even more peculiar to those not in the fold.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT

He could have said a lot less about his feelings for Shero in my opinion. And not that he was allowed to pick and do it on his timing. Look I'm on the Lou bandwagon but the fact is he is 72, healthy or not and like it or not he is at the national average of lifespan. If I am the new owners and I just invested in this franchise, do I want the guy who built the place around to help bring in the transition or do I want to be forced doing it in a panic mode when god forbid something happens? At Lou's age bringing in a successor is the absolute logical thing to do. And yes I believe Lou that he was allowed to do it his way because I don't think Lou would let it happen any other way. I don't care if the owners are calling the shots, if Lou didn't make this go down the way he wanted, it wouldn't have gone down or he would have walked out on them. I don't believe for a minute that this guy who defies everyone and everything to do what he feels is right and by his standards would cower or suddenly shirk his own integrity to save face for guys he felt were stabbing him in the back. Sorry that is not at all what I got out of watching the man for the last 30 years.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I would assume Lou had to have known that he was on the proverbial hot seat? The particular timing of the DeBoer firing was flat out strange (why not let him finish the season?) and the consequent coaching triumvirate was even more peculiar to those not in the fold.

you know the answer to that question. lou always plays to win, and it was very clear that the team would not win with pete behind the bench.

as far as the three-headed coaching monster, i honestly think lou wanted to have a better look at the team he was icing, as well as to work alongside two potential candidates for next year's position.

all speculation on my end of course, but i'm starting to buy more and more that this management move was forced.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
He could have said a lot less about his feelings for Shero in my opinion. And not that he was allowed to pick and do it on his timing. Look I'm on the Lou bandwagon but the fact is he is 72, healthy or not and like it or not he is at the national average of lifespan. If I am the new owners and I just invested in this franchise, do I want the guy who built the place around to help bring in the transition or do I want to be forced doing it in a panic mode when god forbid something happens? At Lou's age bringing in a successor is the absolute logical thing to do. And yes I believe Lou that he was allowed to do it his way because I don't think Lou would let it happen any other way. I don't care if the owners are calling the shots, if Lou didn't make this go down the way he wanted, it wouldn't have gone down or he would have walked out on them. I don't believe for a minute that this guy who defies everyone and everything to do what he feels is right and by his standards would cower or suddenly shirk his own integrity to save face for guys he felt were stabbing him in the back. Sorry that is not at all what I got out of watching the man for the last 30 years.

stubborn or not, lou's a realist. he knows the context.. every single angle of it. i think this outcome (him saying it was his decision, being allowed to pick the successor, remaining President, etc) was a compromise. and a much-needed one, IMO.

i'm just saying that i don't think lou was the one who started the dialogue about the change.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think you are completely off base. Lou would do NEVER do anything to hurt the Devils and all of your alternative solutions of what Lou "could've done" would hurt the franchise. That is why he is going sheepishly into the night.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
I think you are completely off base. Lou would do NEVER do anything to hurt the Devils and all of your alternative solutions of what Lou "could've done" would hurt the franchise. That is why he is going sheepishly into the night.

Ok we will just have to agree to disagree here because anyone who would put Lou and the word sheepish in the same sentence is the one way off base in my opinion.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I think Lou brought Shero in to outlast him. If Lou wanted a puppet that he could fire in 2 years and say to the owners see I told you so, I think it would have been somebody much less experienced. Again, just my own opinions.

You and I seem to be on the exact same page, paragraph and word for that matter on this issue. I don't get why it is such a rare stance to take honestly. Lou pulls surprise rabbits out of his hat regularly - not sure why this is any different.

Lou was close the end of his tenure regardless and ownership wanted to move the same direction just maybe faster. The arrows were all pointing in the same direction, it was just a matter of timing and who. That's nuance, not scandal. If Lou suddenly departs for another job in the NHL then I'll buy the big coup theory but I see this timing out as him staying on as President another 2 seasons and finally retiring for good with things in good hands or seeing the entire staff axed by ownership and players sold off in a complete overhaul in which case he was leaving anyways.

There are so many scenarios that aren't divisive or even combative in nature;

Lou had made it known he was planning on grooming someone for a couple of years before leaving the organization and ownership was just fine with that because it perfectly fit their desire to have a transition plan in progress. Here we are - just faster.

Or Lou had planned to bring Marty back this year and the ownership felt it was better to have an entirely new face transition into the role. Here we are.

Or Lou simply hadn't expected Shero to be available and ditched his original plan of grooming someone (like Marty maybe) and had to jump while the timing was right and best for the organization. Here we are - unexpectedly. And this jives very well with Lou's own words and reports about talking to Shero before the season was even over.

Countless others that lead logically right to here.

The need for drama these days is unreal. If this was a full blown push aside, the entire staff would be getting retooled and Lou would not still be President with Shero reporting to him. He would have gotten the "Special Projects" label of advisor to the GM or some other dubious title and not be seen or heard from again outside special events.

Plus Lou is smart enough to know he can't hire a coach then step aside and have another GM inherit his decisions and not have both of them be 2nd guessed with the chicken and egg syndrome.

something something... Hanlon's razor if nothing else.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You and I seem to be on the exact same page, paragraph and word for that matter on this issue. I don't get why it is such a rare stance to take honestly. Lou pulls surprise rabbits out of his hat regularly - not sure why this is any different.

Lou was close the end of his tenure regardless and ownership wanted to move the same direction just maybe faster. The arrows were all pointing in the same direction, it was just a matter of timing and who. That's nuance, not scandal. If Lou suddenly departs for another job in the NHL then I'll buy the big coup theory but I see this timing out as him staying on as President another 2 seasons and finally retiring for good with things in good hands or seeing the entire staff axed by ownership and players sold off in a complete overhaul in which case he was leaving anyways.

There are so many scenarios that aren't divisive or even combative in nature;

Lou had made it known he was planning on grooming someone for a couple of years before leaving the organization and ownership was just fine with that because it perfectly fit their desire to have a transition plan in progress. Here we are - just faster.

Or Lou had planned to bring Marty back this year and the ownership felt it was better to have an entirely new face transition into the role. Here we are.

Or Lou simply hadn't expected Shero to be available and ditched his original plan of grooming someone (like Marty maybe) and had to jump while the timing was right and best for the organization. Here we are - unexpectedly. And this jives very well with Lou's own words and reports about talking to Shero before the season was even over.

Countless others that lead logically right to here.

The need for drama these days is unreal. If this was a full blown push aside, the entire staff would be getting retooled and Lou would not still be President with Shero reporting to him. He would have gotten the "Special Projects" label of advisor to the GM or some other dubious title and not be seen or heard from again outside special events.

Plus Lou is smart enough to know he can't hire a coach then step aside and have another GM inherit his decisions and not have both of them be 2nd guessed with the chicken and egg syndrome.

something something... Hanlon's razor if nothing else.

Mark these down and remember..

I hope we can revisit this in one year.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Well said RG.

I can't wait until Shero actually does something so we have something else to talk about. :laugh:

With Lou gone as GM, there is no reason to post. Now it's just waiting & spectating. Shero probably merits a 2 year honeymoon period as well by my estimation.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
With Lou gone as GM, there is no reason to post. Now it's just waiting & spectating. Shero probably merits a 2 year honeymoon period as well by my estimation.

I'd rather be speculating about player moves and draft picks than House of Cards NJ Devils style.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Ugh the weirdest image of Lou as Daenerys Targaryen just popped in my head. Talking about his throne being usurped and being the father of Devils

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Anyone that believes Lou wanted to step away with the team in this state and not try to fix it first doesn't understand Lou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad