News Article: Ray Shero - 2013 GM of the Year Winner

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
You can't tell me Staal down low would have helped us a lot more than Sutter & his chip the puck in to get muscled off it a second later move. Yes Sutter is better defensively but he was really bad at possessing the puck in their zone. He played more like a 4th line center than a 3rd line one.

There's no denying Shero was in a bad situation with Staal once it leaked he turned down that deal. I'm just saying that the assets gained in that trade were more future ones than ones for this year. It is GM of the year.

WRT to Staal all I'm saying is we had plenty of awful looking games with him in the lineup under Disco, playoffs included. He may have been a help or it may not have mattered at all. Hard to say given our recent track record.

WRT to Sutter playing under his ability, I agree. But it was his first playoff run I believe. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If he's weak on the puck next playoff too I'll start to worry. Unfortunately I don't think he's the type who can put on a lot of muscle (which he'd be wise to put on 10 or 12 lbs if he can this summer). Just naturally skinny, unlike Staal.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Morrow looked really good at the end of the regular season. I don't know if he ran out of gas or Crosby's return forced him out of a productive role, but if he had been able to maintain that performance in the playoffs, that wouldn't have been a bad trade at all.

Looking good during the dieing weeks of the regular season is a lot different than doing it in the playoffs.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
WRT to Staal all I'm saying is we had plenty of awful looking games with him in the lineup under Disco, playoffs included. He may have been a help or it may not have mattered at all. Hard to say given our recent track record.

WRT to Sutter playing under his ability, I agree. But it was his first playoff run I believe. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If he's weak on the puck next playoff too I'll start to worry. Unfortunately I don't think he's the type who can put on a lot of muscle (which he'd be wise to put on 10 or 12 lbs if he can this summer). Just naturally skinny, unlike Staal.

I like Staal and was a Staal defender when he was here, but you can't justify paying him $6 mill when Malkin, Tang, and Dupuis need pay raises. Sutter+Letang is better than Staal and no Letang. Considering the situation, it was a great trade then and a great trade now.

Fire Shero*

Sighing that piece of **** Bylsma to a 2 - year extension was something a GM of the year wouldn't do. Keeping fleury surely isn't either, I'm just waiting to hear Fleury is signed to an extension and Letang is traded for future puck moving dmen who will be worth something in 5 years.

Bojakees*

Someone's mad their GM didn't win.:laugh:

Not really, matter of fact not at all. There is only one award our organization strives for under this regime. It is big and shiny and that is the philosophy that we have. TEAM before self and I think you saw the results of that. I wonder if anyone here would trade their awards for the big shiny one....Probably not.

Bojakees*

I helped you out some since your memory seems a little hazy.

You did ?...I disagree...You don't want another large contract for an underachieving dman ? Like Martin ? Or is it that the GM just feels he does not really need dman at all that can well.....actually play defense. Yet, you have no problem overpaying large contracts for underachieving forwards. Oh, I got it. Now I am starting to understand. 19 million for 0-0-0 minus 9 is ok but God forbid we pay Scuderi a few extra bucs for his tremendous playoffs. I was wrong all along, sorry. Lets all watch Scuderi go be an instrumental part in someone else's cup win. I am starting to understand how it works here. Funny also as I read many many of the post's here that many actually agree with me. Penguins fans. The shine is wearing thin on the GM here. I am just a fan of the game agreeing with half of the board here. Sorry if I bothered you.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You did ?...I disagree...You don't want another large contract for an underachieving dman ? Like Martin ? Or is it that the GM just feels he does not really need dman at all that can well.....actually play defense. Yet, you have no problem overpaying large contracts for underachieving forwards. Oh, I got it. Now I am starting to understand. 19 million for 0-0-0 minus 9 is ok but God forbid we pay Scuderi a few extra bucs for his tremendous playoffs. I was wrong all along, sorry. Lets all watch Scuderi go be an instrumental part in someone else's cup win. I am starting to understand how it works here. Funny also as I read many many of the post's here that many actually agree with me. Penguins fans. The shine is wearing thin on the GM here. I am just a fan of the game agreeing with half of the board here. Sorry if I bothered you.

You are bothering all of us by coming in with your **** attitude about our organization. I don't go to your team's board and call out your players. Shero won the GM of the year award. You disagree wit the results. Good for you.

Bojakees*

I helped you out some since your memory seems a little hazy.

You are bothering all of us by coming in with your **** attitude about our organization. I don't go to your team's board and call out your players. Shero won the GM of the year award. You disagree wit the results. Good for you.

That's not true, I just made a few points that I felt were valid. And again, many Pens fans are saying the exact thing I said. I did not come to call out anyone nor did I. Nobody but Pens fans can say they think Shero did not deserve the award ? Then sorry. I will leave. I will be busy over he next few days anyway. Sorry for trying to talk hockey.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's not true, I just made a few points that I felt were valid. And again, many Pens fans are saying the exact thing I said. I did not come to call out anyone nor did I. Nobody but Pens fans can say they think Shero did not deserve the award ? Then sorry. I will leave. I will be busy over he next few days anyway. Sorry for trying to talk hockey.

There is a level of disrespect in your post. You basically called Sid and Geno overpaid, underachieving players and none of our defenseman can play defense. How is that valuable to the conversation? I have no problem with other team's fans coming in to give their opinion, but when your opinion includes trashing our entire team, you are bordering on trolling.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

You are not coming here to talk hockey. You're just taking shots at our team. And stop referring to the Penguins as "we". You're obviously not a fan of this team so stop pretending to be so we think you're one of us.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I still don't see why he's the 2013 GM of the year over other GMs. His trades at the deadline didn't do much and they were horrible, as a team, against the Bruins.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Sighing that piece of **** Bylsma to a 2 - year extension was something a GM of the year wouldn't do. Keeping fleury surely isn't either, I'm just waiting to hear Fleury is signed to an extension and Letang is traded for future puck moving dmen who will be worth something in 5 years.
Agreed. Awarding it to Shero makes no sense.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I still don't see why he's the 2013 GM of the year over other GMs. His trades at the deadline didn't do much and they were horrible, as a team, against the Bruins.

Considering the award is voted on before the playoffs start, it makes perfect sense.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
One aspect that people aren't really acknowledging is that Shero's draft picks, Despres and Bennett, proved they could play at a high level this year. I know that's not as sexy a subject as all the trade deadline stuff but I think we're all excited about Bennett and he's Shero's guy.

DawgPens

Jul 10, 2012
Athens, GA
New Directions

I have recently come to realize that I am to blame for our awful post-2009 playoff performances ...

During the 2010 playoffs, I grew a playoff beard that I have retained ever since. I guess I should have known it was ill-fated when I attended game 7 of the Montreal-Penguins series, and Sid took a penalty in the first minute, but I chalked that game and series loss up to other factors. However, seeing the Pens once again bow out before their due time this year, I have (finally!) come to realize my folly.

Yesterday, I shaved the damn thing off. When we win the cup next spring, I expect to be suitably appreciated ...

:)

Bojakees*

There is a level of disrespect in your post. You basically called Sid and Geno overpaid, underachieving players and none of our defenseman can play defense. How is that valuable to the conversation? I have no problem with other team's fans coming in to give their opinion, but when your opinion includes trashing our entire team, you are bordering on trolling.

I do not mean to be disrespectful, however much like you calling Bowmeester over paid I think people are entitled to think Sid and Geno are as well. I happen to think Chris Kelly and Tyler Seguin are also overpaid. Is that being disrespectful ? Malkin is a great great player, in the offensive zone. I don't think much of him back checking. Now I do not begrudge an organizational philosophy so if Shero wants to give the guy that then so be it. But 9.5 million going forward is a little rich for me. I am from the school that offense wins games and defense wins championships and this started where I said Shero made a bad mistake not paying Scuderi. I also think when the PENS won the cup they had GILL and SCUDERI stabilizing the D and since they got rid of them both after winning the cup and have not replaced them...They have had trouble getting beck despite a great offense. As far as your DMEN.....LETANG and MARTIN are fine...But not exactly defensive guys. I think instead of getting Jerome and Morrow....Your GM of the year should have just let Bennett (Who I like a lot) play and concentrated on some defensive defenseman who could skate and move the puck. IMO, they need two guys like the Rangers have in McDonough and Girardi....Then they would be a complete team. It will be interesting to see what the GM of the years does about his D going forward. So far he has acted as if he was fine with the way things turned out.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I do not mean to be disrespectful, however much like you calling Bowmeester over paid I think people are entitled to think Sid and Geno are as well. I happen to think Chris Kelly and Tyler Seguin are also overpaid. Is that being disrespectful ? Malkin is a great great player, in the offensive zone. I don't think much of him back checking.

May want to watch some pens games.. or watch those ones you are watching a little closer, it will help you understand why Malkin is consistently a takeaway leader on this team

As far as your DMEN.....LETANG and MARTIN are fine...But not exactly defensive guys. I think instead of getting Jerome and Morrow....Your GM of the year should have just let Bennett (Who I like a lot) play and concentrated on some defensive defenseman who could skate and move the puck. IMO, they need two guys like the Rangers have in McDonough and Girardi.....

If Martin is not a defensive guy, what is he exactly? Again I'll suggest you watch a Pens game or two. If your basing this off of last years viewings, then you may have a leg to stand on, but since theres been a season since then in which Martin was our TOP defensemen in the d-zone your argument is very much baseless.
As far as deadline acquisitions go, we did acquire that defensive guy named Douglas Murray, you seem to be conveniently overlooking that.

Expressing opinion of another teams players is fine, but its a different ballgame when its a so obviously uneducated opinion. This reminds me of the great Luca Caputi debate several years back, when he was getting pimped because of his stats, but not based on any viewings.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
the biggest flaw in our defense against Boston was the lack of mobility and support in the offensive zone. We were playing 3 on 5 on offense. We had Eaton, Orpik, Murray, Engelland and Niskanen all playing with absolutely no offensive zone contribution. If we wanted to improve our defense, we should have played Despres.

If Shero had a problem with this acquisitions, it was getting slower with forwards that in the end didn't really end up adding much grit or even skill to make up for it.

Bojakees*

May want to watch some pens games.. or watch those ones you are watching a little closer, it will help you understand why Malkin is consistently a takeaway leader on this team

If Martin is not a defensive guy, what is he exactly? Again I'll suggest you watch a Pens game or two. If your basing this off of last years viewings, then you may have a leg to stand on, but since theres been a season since then in which Martin was our TOP defensemen in the d-zone your argument is very much baseless.
As far as deadline acquisitions go, we did acquire that defensive guy named Douglas Murray, you seem to be conveniently overlooking that.

Expressing opinion of another teams players is fine, but its a different ballgame when its a so obviously uneducated opinion. This reminds me of the great Luca Caputi debate several years back, when he was getting pimped because of his stats, but not based on any viewings.

Malkin is a takeway leader on the team ?.....Tell ya what. Why don't you show me. I see he is a PLUS 5 which is one of the lowest on the team while Sid is PLUS 26...Hmmm...You need to show me. BTW...SCUDERI was the best takeaway guy on the team. So why was he not offered a contract ? Plus, is it a coincidence that since Scuderi left FLEURY has turned into a disaster. Show me that stat.

Douglas Murray....This is your guy ? I wonder why San Jose dumped him. Slow as a slug. As for Martin....His next physical presence will be his first.

Besides...Why would the GM of the year not pay Scuderi his most valuable guy and pay Martin ? Just a bad move that's why...You gotta get me that MALKIN takaway stat. I want to be as educated as you.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ASALL&sort=takeaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Second on the team this year. And a +2 regarding giveaways vs. takeaways. Crosby was a -13, in comparison. And he's considered the far better defensive/responsible player. Malkin was also second on the team (one back from Sutter) in takeaways in the post season... and a +4 in giveaway/takeaway. Feel free to adjust the seasons. You'll notice in all the years that he's healthy, he's right at the top of the list in takeaways.

Will you PLEASE show yourself OUT, now and maybe WATCH some of the GAMES before you make YOURSELF look any SILLIER than you ALREADY have? THANKS!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ASALL&sort=takeaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Second on the team this year. And a +2 regarding giveaways vs. takeaways. Crosby was a -13, in comparison. And he's considered the far better defensive/responsible player. Malkin was also second on the team (one back from Sutter) in takeaways in the post season... and a +4 in giveaway/takeaway. Feel free to adjust the seasons. You'll notice in all the years that he's healthy, he's right at the top of the list in takeaways.

Will you PLEASE show yourself OUT, now and maybe WATCH some of the GAMES before you make YOURSELF look any SILLIER than you ALREADY have? THANKS!

Malkin kind of goes back and forth. When he's in his beast mode, he's a great defensive forward. He isn't always in beast mode though.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Certainly not. I wouldn't even call him a great defensive forward. Probably a little underrated in that regard, though. Much like Mario, though... he is one of the best in the sport defensively when he's fully invested in the game. Which sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. Frustrations you put up with when it comes to ultra-talented "flow" players, I guess.

But he's still absolutely a yearly leader in takeaways on this team. Malkin thrives on coming back and hounding the puck carrier in the neutral zone and high in the offensive zone, especially. Particularly right after that puck carrier has stifled a scoring chance that Malkin was just involved in.

Bojakees*

Paul Martin is a better hockey player than Rob Scuderi. I love Scuds, but Scuderi's next crisp pass will be his first.

http://cityofchampionssports.com/2013/06/10/penguins-still-feeling-scuderis-absence/

I do not know how much the writer is respected but he seems to have the STATS to back up his article as apposed to the Fandom opinions going on here. I deal in fact guys...Like I said...Scuderi has another cup since he left and Fleury has fell apart...Someone has to explain how and why if you want to slap me around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad