News Article: Ray Shero - 2013 GM of the Year Winner

Control Denied

Sep 28, 2011
Is this a joke or something? Shero is making increasingly strange moves lately.

Morrow trade was horrible. Only Bylsma is happy about giving up a prospect for a grinding veteran.

Murray trade was even worse, giving up two 2nd round picks for an old rental that sucks. Awful.

Keeping Bylsma

Not buying out MAF

Resigning Craig Adams

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Since all teams' goals should be to win the Stanley Cup and not the Presidents trophy, it's kind of ridiculous to have a regular season award for a GM when, professionally, they are judged by how they do in the playoffs. But I guess then you'd just give the award to the GM of the cup winner, and that's kind of dumb too... All in all, lame trophy, but congrats to Shero I guess. At least it ain't the Leadership Award.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
BS. There are many posters who were criticizing Shero last summer and at the TDL, so don't make it sound like this is a new thing.

There weren't that many IMO. More like the ones there were, were very vocal. And that's fine.

I know that there are still many card holding members of the "In Shero We Trust" club, but I'm not one of them.

And don't you make it sound like because someone concedes Shero did as good or better a job this season of giving his coach a chance to compete for the Cup, as compared to any other GM, that they never have complaints about Shero.

I can admit I don't like his Bylsma or Fleury decision at all (Geno he got it done and quick and that's to be credited), but I'm not so blind as to miss the point that it comes directly from the top, and that he's done a lot of good things the last few years too. Mario is as much at fault here as Shero when it comes to this week's disappointments. Any talk of Iginla, who up until the Boston series scored almost PPG despite being misued nearly the entire time, as being a "bad move" is 100% Hindsight QB-ing it. It was a great move and gave us a chance to win it, which the coach promptly pissed away against Boston and almost against NYI, by refusing to adjust until he'd already lost two games at home.

In any case, anyone who expects that they're going to like every trade their GM makes, or doesn't make, or every player he decides to keep or not (who judges a GM as "bad" because the GM has made more than one decision we, the all-seeing fans disagree with) is completely unrealistic. Bordering on delusional. He's going to make mistakes. Just like all GMs do. Even the almighty Ken Holland.

Last edited:

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA

Morrow trade was horrible. Only Bylsma is happy about giving up a prospect for a grinding veteran.

Murray trade was even worse, giving up two 2nd round picks for an old rental that sucks. Awful.

Keeping Bylsma

Not buying out MAF

Resigning Craig Adams

Morrow was terrible but i liked the way Murray played. i don't like that the Pens gave up two 2nds for him, but i certainly don't think he sucked.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Morrow was terrible but i liked the way Murray played. i don't like that the Pens gave up two 2nds for him, but i certainly don't think he sucked.

Before trade, everyone-"I want a real crease clearing D-man desperately!!"

After trade, most people-"We have to give stuff up to get that?? That's stupid"

I think next year Shero's best move's are going to be integrating some of these young guys he was in charge of drafting. Despres into the top 4, Bennett into the top 6, maybe Bortuzzo as 6th. Morrow, Iginal, & Murray have had great careers but the legs aren't there for them anymore & this these guys were drafted to play Shero hockey from day 1.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
-Staal trade- We really missed Staal in the playoffs which is something a lot of us said would happen. I thought a couple games Sutter could have sat. If DP & Doumilin turn into pro players its a good trade but short term it sucked.

People like saying this but how realistic / true is it? Was Staal a part of the team that got embarrassed by Philly last year? And the years before? And the mid-season slumps? Staal would not have prevented us losing to Boston. He may have made Game 2 less ugly, but that's about it IMO. He's not some sort of defensive savior that takes our 3rd line to a whole new level of tough vs. Sutter. Sutter is a good player and still has upside left IMO. He's not a bruiser like Staal but that's neither here nor there in terms of getting swept in the playoffs and being a part of 8GA vs. Philly, etc.

I think the return Shero got for Staal (vs. getting nothing which was his other option since Staal rejected a huge contract), was a very good return all things considered. Guys like Bobby Ryan were probably never an option so people need to get that out of their head.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Kind of strange the team is going to have multiple MVP's, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year, & a Norris candidate over the last 3 seasons yet have won only 4 games past the 1st round during that frame.

Doesn't quite add up.

Just says a lot about the team under-performing playoff-wise is all. It's a major problem, but as a Flyers fan I'd be happy winning any award at this point haha.

What a totally undeserved award.

- Iggy chose PIT, Shero did nothing
- Overpaid for Morrow who blew and also chose PIT
- Overpaid for Murray who was too slow for DBs system so Db changed it
- Great deal to get JJ, too bad he never played in the POs.

In all fairness, most players would be happy to go to Pittsburgh. Winning team with arguably the two best players in the league locked up and doing well financially. Hard to not want to work there.

I agree that it was totally undeserved which isn't an uncommon sentiment (no offense), but although Shero has done the obvious moves and only got the award for being the best rental player buyer he's done a great job getting the team to where it is. One Cup (although there should definitely be more), having the two best players in the league locked up on the team while still having guys like Neal locked up and having enough cap room at the deadline to acquire Jarome Iginla. That's impressive cap work there. If there's one thing I admire about Shero, it's his ability to handle a cap and work his assets in trades.

So, although I do agree that he doesn't deserve it, I do think he deserves credit for putting together a team as great on paper as it is. He didn't have to do much to get Crosby and Malkin, but he managed to lock them up for their whole careers thus far, managed a Cup, and managed to acquire guys like Neal as I mentioned before. He's kept all the important players on the team.

EDIT: Well, you could argue Staal was an important piece he let go, but he got good pieces back and it's arguable as to whether or not he was that important a piece considering his potential was being hindered via too much depth at his position. Sutter's a good player in his own right that just lacks the offensive potential of Staal, but then again, on this team, Sutter serves a very similar purpose as Staal did.

EDIT 2: It's also impressive that Shero has managed to keep a good enough prospect cupboard despite being a constantly winning team in the regular season. Morrow, Despres, Pouliot, etc. Philly has done worse in the regular season and I still like your prospect pool better.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Not happy with Shero lately. Morrow was Tanner Glass-esque in his uselessness and we paid a big price for a guy who brought nothing but experience (though this team's core has been through it all, we don't need experience), he re-signed Bylsma and his staff for two more years, spoke glowingly of Fleury...

Lots of bad moves from Shero recently.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Not happy with Shero lately. Morrow was Tanner Glass-esque in his uselessness and we paid a big price for a guy who brought nothing but experience (though this team's core has been through it all, we don't need experience), he re-signed Bylsma and his staff for two more years, spoke glowingly of Fleury...

Lots of bad moves from Shero recently.

I agree that Shero went overboard on the pleasantries and letting the team off easy, but you also have to consider that he can't exactly blast his organization like fans can. I get what you mean though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I agree that Shero went overboard on the pleasantries and letting the team off easy, but you also have to consider that he can't exactly blast his organization like fans can. I get what you mean though.

For sure, I know there's a PR aspect to it. But, to go out of his way and speak about how phenomenal Fleury is and how he backs him 100% after the last four playoffs... I don't know. All he had to say was "Fleury's been our guy and we're confident he'll bounce back after a summer's worth of hard work and a new goalie coach." Something like that is all that's needed, not the way he praised MAF and said he was irreplaceable.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
People like saying this but how realistic / true is it? Was Staal a part of the team that got embarrassed by Philly last year? And the years before? And the mid-season slumps? Staal would not have prevented us losing to Boston. He may have made Game 2 less ugly, but that's about it IMO. He's not some sort of defensive savior that takes our 3rd line to a whole new level of tough vs. Sutter. Sutter is a good player and still has upside left IMO. He's not a bruiser like Staal but that's neither here nor there in terms of getting swept in the playoffs and being a part of 8GA vs. Philly, etc.

I think the return Shero got for Staal (vs. getting nothing which was his other option since Staal rejected a huge contract), was a very good return all things considered. Guys like Bobby Ryan were probably never an option so people need to get that out of their head.

You can't tell me Staal down low would have helped us a lot more than Sutter & his chip the puck in to get muscled off it a second later move. Yes Sutter is better defensively but he was really bad at possessing the puck in their zone. He played more like a 4th line center than a 3rd line one.

There's no denying Shero was in a bad situation with Staal once it leaked he turned down that deal. I'm just saying that the assets gained in that trade were more future ones than ones for this year. It is GM of the year.

Bojakees*

Shero winning this award is an absolute JOKE and simply another product of the NHL PR HYPE promoting a organization because of big names that really have underachieved. Lets FACT check on Shero.....He walked into SID, MALKIN and FLUERY and some other nice talent on a team about to be great. And a number 2 pick (STAAL)....What has he done with it all. Team won the cup and since then with a team of 23-24 year old cup winners he has **** the bed.

SCUDERI....He does not pay him while he was SO IMPORTANT to that cup team and he never replaced him really. Scuderi has won a cup since while Shero has not.

MARTIN SIGNING....5 million a year for this BUM...While letting Scuderi go made no sense.

STAAL....Lost that trade because he traded the best player for a 3-4 line center and kids that nobody knows how they will turn out.

HAs really never found a WINGER for Sid. The MorrowTRADE is a disaster as we all know how much this board loved Joe Morrow...

The IGGY trade turns out will suck. He has FAILED to address the DEFENSE and that should have been done this year. BOUWMEESTER would have been great for this team. IGGY was not needed here.

OST gritty players it takes to win cups as we just saw with the BRUINS fourth line....FEDETENKO, TALBOT, especially TALBOT were heart and soul guys...Guys that did the little things....

SHERO has been a turnstile GM who HAS NOT REALLY WON with anyone he has bought in to build around SID and GENO...And this latest embarrassment vs BOSTON exposed him as a GM who does not really understand the difference between PLAYOFF hockey and regular season hockey....

Lets see the guy win a cup with all the talent and picks he was blessed with...Till then he is a bust to me.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Shero winning this award is an absolute JOKE and simply another product of the NHL PR HYPE promoting a organization because of big names that really have underachieved. Lets FACT check on Shero.....He walked into SID, MALKIN and FLUERY and some other nice talent on a team about to be great. And a number 2 pick (STAAL)....What has he done with it all. Team won the cup and since then with a team of 23-24 year old cup winners he has **** the bed.

SCUDERI....He does not pay him while he was SO IMPORTANT to that cup team and he never replaced him really. Scuderi has won a cup since while Shero has not.

MARTIN SIGNING....5 million a year for this BUM...While letting Scuderi go made no sense.

STAAL....Lost that trade because he traded the best player for a 3-4 line center and kids that nobody knows how they will turn out.

HAs really never found a WINGER for Sid. The MorrowTRADE is a disaster as we all know how much this board loved Joe Morrow...

The IGGY trade turns out will suck. He has FAILED to address the DEFENSE and that should have been done this year. BOUWMEESTER would have been great for this team. IGGY was not needed here.

OST gritty players it takes to win cups as we just saw with the BRUINS fourth line....FEDETENKO, TALBOT, especially TALBOT were heart and soul guys...Guys that did the little things....

SHERO has been a turnstile GM who HAS NOT REALLY WON with anyone he has bought in to build around SID and GENO...And this latest embarrassment vs BOSTON exposed him as a GM who does not really understand the difference between PLAYOFF hockey and regular season hockey....

Lets see the guy win a cup with all the talent and picks he was blessed with...Till then he is a bust to me.

Someone's mad their GM didn't win.:laugh:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

If your caps lock button broken? :laugh:

Listen, the luster on Shero is quickly wearing off for me too, but you're being pretty over the top.

Fedotenko was a gritty, heart and soul guy that did the little things? The dude was a human parasite on whatever line he was on. He didn't do anything. Ever.

Shero's hand was forced in the Staal trade and he got what he could.

Martin had a bad year, and did a complete 180. He's absolutely worth every penny if he continues to play like he did this season.

You're mad we lost Fedotenko and didn't get JBo. Alrighty, credibility just flew out of the window. :laugh:

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA

now, let's fact-check your mind-numbing ignorance when it comes to the Pens, point by point:

>> first of all, capitalizing the MAIN WORDS in your argument isn't enough to validate your points.

>> it's spelled FLEURY, not FLUERY, and so far, he's an average goalie. not sure why you have him up there with the likes of Sid and Geno. was he a pivotal part of their Cup win? i think so, but other than that has he been great overall? absolutely not.

>> Scuderi was due for a pay day (that, at the time, the team really couldn't afford) and he got it. i do agree that this was a mistake, though. however, i have no clue how Shero valued Scuderi at the time. in hindsight (which, by the way, is always 20-20), letting him go was a mistake. but i doubt there were many people who valued him that highly anyway at the time. i remember thinking "wow, i'm glad he got paid, but that seems too much for LA to pay". i know, in hindsight blah blah blah, but still.

>> you couldn't be farther from the truth here regarding Martin. Martin had one bad season since coming to Pittsburgh (yes, ONLY ONE). this season he was absolutely outstanding. he was one of their best defensemen this year (if not their best).

>> Staal basically advertised that he not only wanted to extend with Pittsburgh but he also would extend with Carolina. how is Shero at fault for Staal handcuffing him in front of the rest of the league? Staal would only be a 3rd line center in Pittsburgh anyway, so getting a real 3C in the deal plus high-end prospects was about as good as any GM could have done under those circumstances. but, you won't mention the fiasco Staal caused because it doesn't fit your bogus narrative.

>> do you think appropriately talented wingers just grow on trees? unless you're expecting someone like Perry (who will never play for Pittsburgh), i don't know what you're whining about. he put all of his eggs in the Parise basket and missed out. how is that his fault? Parise had different motives. at least he's tried which is more than you're willing to admit.

>> i agree that his trades for Morrow and Iginla weren't ideal (especially the Morrow trade). however, Joe Morrow, to the dismay of the fans, hasn't apparently produced well enough to qualify as the organization's "top prospect". Shero pointed that out after the trade. whether or not it's just lip service has yet to be proven.

>> the last decent season Fedotenko had IMO was when he won the Cup with the Penguins. since then, i think he's been very underwhelming. you may not know this, either, but in Talbot's last Pens season (his CONTRACT YEAR), he was garbage. his energy was meaningless when he struggled making the right plays. on top of that, Philly overpaid for him big time by signing him for $1.8M per for 5 years (a deal he'd never see from Pittsburgh, and rightfully so; he's just not worth it).

>> you insist on pinning the entire blame on Shero for them not winning another Cup since 2009. i shouldn't even have to explain why this is ludicrous, but if you actually convinced yourself that that's what you believe, then i have no way of convincing you otherwise because you'll just believe whatever you want to believe.

>> he has, genius. 2009. but, obviously, you're a better GM. maybe you should get on the phone with some of the teams and ask them nicely to take over their GM position (whether it's even open or not). let's see how they respond to you and your obvious expertise.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Shero winning this award is an absolute JOKE and simply another product of the NHL PR HYPE promoting a organization because of big names that really have underachieved. Lets FACT check on Shero.....He walked into SID, MALKIN and FLUERY(Spelled wrong) and some other nice talent on a team about to be great. And a number 2 pick (STAAL)....What has he done with it all. Team won the cupI know that's it? Just a Stanley Cup? and since then with a team of 23-24 year old cup winners he has **** the bed.

MARTIN SIGNING....5 million a year for this BUM...While letting Scuderi go made no sense.Was our best D-man this year

STAAL....Lost that trade because he traded the best player for a 3-4 line center and kids that nobody knows how they will turn out.Staal wanted out.

HAs really never found a WINGER for Sid. The MorrowTRADE is a disaster as we all know how much this board loved Joe Morrow...Maybe your only legitimate point

The IGGY trade turns out will suck. He has FAILED to address the DEFENSE and that should have been done this year. BOUWMEESTER would have been great for this team. IGGY was not needed here. No that's exactly what the Pens needed. A large contract for another underachieving D-man

OST gritty players it takes to win cups as we just saw with the BRUINS fourth line....FEDETENKO, TALBOT, especially TALBOT were heart and soul guys...Guys that did the little things....So many Stanley Cups have followed those two.

SHERO has been a turnstile GM who HAS NOT REALLY WON(Besides you know, that cup) with anyone he has bought in to build around SID and GENO...And this latest embarrassment vs BOSTON exposed him as a GM who does not really understand the difference between PLAYOFF hockey and regular season hockey....

Lets see the guy win a cup with all the talent and picks he was blessed with...Till then he is a bust to me.(Once again, kind of already did)

I helped you out some since your memory seems a little hazy.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Check this guy's post history- he's a Bruins fan :laugh:

This whole post seems pointless. I mean if you're gonna troll, at least bring up something legitimate.

Edit: ALSO, you would appear more CREDIBLE if you didn't post like THIS all the TIME.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Morrow looked really good at the end of the regular season. I don't know if he ran out of gas or Crosby's return forced him out of a productive role, but if he had been able to maintain that performance in the playoffs, that wouldn't have been a bad trade at all.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Morrow looked really good at the end of the regular season. I don't know if he ran out of gas or Crosby's return forced him out of a productive role, but if he had been able to maintain that performance in the playoffs, that wouldn't have been a bad trade at all.

i agree. perhaps he busted his ass too much during the stretch-run in hopes of proving everyone wrong, thus depleting his already limited reserves? there were many who wanted Morrow to sit out a few regular season games after the first seed was wrapped up. over those 15 regular season games he was producing points at a .93 clip. that's a far cry above his 0.64 career average.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
the same people who are complaining about his trades are the same people who would ***** if he did nothing.

Not to pick a fight but I just have to point this out. This is a major league bogus argument. I've seen a couple of times already from people arguing against Shero criticism. It doesn't mean anything; it doesn't say anything about the actual question at hand.

Plus, it's not true. Some people would rather he have been more conservative, and those are actually the same people who didn't mind him being conservative last year either.

Sorry about that. Just had to get that out there to try and drive the debate away from that angle.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

Keeping Bylsma

Not buying out MAF

Resigning Craig Adams

When did this happen??? :dunno: :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad