Rumor: Ray Ferraro to be Named Canucks Colour Commentator (Part-Time)

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
It's amazing that of your >14 000 posts, the vast majority have been boring one liners with nothing to offer.

It's seriously amazing. I know exactly who posts your shtick without bothering to look at the name. The style and vacuity are inimitable.

---

Glad it's not Hirsch.
Thanks?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ferraro-Hansen tandem would be elite for me.

I don't think they'll pick Hansen though. He has an accent and has been too critical of the organization in the past.

I don't think they'll pick Hansen because he has no experience other than some radio, podcasts, and a few sparing TV appearances. He might get a trial game, if they go the Daily Show/Have I Got News For You route.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Excellent getting Ray and hopefully full-time after this season.

Curious, though, he always does commentary down between the benches, unlike Garrett who was up in the booth with Shorty. Does he get to choose his location?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
best option available. good stuff.

was lowkey hoping for Bieksa cause it seems like a job he'd be terrific at, but he's too good on the HNIC panel

he could always go back for the playoffs though :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't think they'll pick Hansen because he has no experience other than some radio, podcasts, and a few sparing TV appearances. He might get a trial game, if they go the Daily Show/Have I Got News For You route.
He has been far too vocal about the blunders of the past and present management of the Canucks to ever get a sniff at the job.

Just my guess.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He has been far too vocal about the blunders of the past and present management of the Canucks to ever get a sniff at the job.

Just my guess.
Sadly you're probably right. He's had a vocal group of supporters who've lobbied for the Canucks to hire him for the front office, but the notion has been so far rebuffed by Aquilini. And with Rutherford and Allvin, in place it will never happen.

Still, a tandem of Shorthouse and Ferraro would be awesome. Might even make some of those dreary Sportsnet telecasts almost bearable, particularly during some of the inevitable blowout games with the Canucks on the wrong side of the score.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Ray's a bit of of a sour-puss, but I always prefer listening to those who truly understand the game. He was a great player, with a ton of insight.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Wait - how is no one talking about the conflict of interest here with his wife being the AGM

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Wait - how is no one talking about the conflict of interest here with his wife being the AGM

But colour commentators are meant to be homers. I feel John Garrett did this in a respectful way

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sadly you're probably right. He's had a vocal group of supporters who've lobbied for the Canucks to hire him for the front office, but the notion has been so far rebuffed by Aquilini. And with Rutherford and Allvin, in place it will never happen.

Still, a tandem of Shorthouse and Ferraro would be awesome. Might even make some of those dreary Sportsnet telecasts almost bearable, particularly during some of the inevitable blowout games with the Canucks on the wrong side of the score.
For Ray, I get the upside of being with a team so that you have longer stretches in the same place when they are on a homestand vs traveling all across Canada/USA to do these National games a couple of times a week. Can't imagine that the pay for a local Color guy is better than what he gets with TSN and the US Networks he is with. Again, part of the tradeoff.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Given that Ferraro is local and Bieksa lives in California and only does HNIC as a weekend gig, that doesn’t really make sense.
not sure what ferraro being local has to do with it. the idea would be that ferraro is doing the games bieksa cannot do due to his hnic gig which would include a bunch of home games. i think cassie and hrudey have double dipped like that.

anyway, a man can dream.

Reactions: vancityluongo

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i loved ferraro on 1040 because he would tell it like it is and he was a pretty astute observer. but he had his limits, because as a hockey lifer he had relationships that superseded the truth.

to his credit, he didn’t give quenneville (his teammate for six years on the whalers) a pass for being human garbage. but he routinely gave travis (who was his rookie on the island) a pass and more for being a complete moron.

so i wonder, what really is the point of listening to ferraro talk about the canucks when his own freakin’ wife is the AGM?

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Ferraro should be GM of the Nucks. He’s got the hockey sense and knows his shizat.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
i loved ferraro on 1040 because he would tell it like it is and he was a pretty astute observer. but he had his limits, because as a hockey lifer he had relationships that superseded the truth.

to his credit, he didn’t give quenneville (his teammate for six years on the whalers) a pass for being human garbage. but he routinely gave travis (who was his rookie on the island) a pass and more for being a complete moron.

so i wonder, what really is the point of listening to ferraro talk about the canucks when his own freakin’ wife is the AGM?

The colour commentator usually isn't judging the moves the team has made or talking about the cap all that much. It's almost entirely about the plays that are happening on the ice. He's one of the very best in the entire industry.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The colour commentator usually isn't judging the moves the team has made or talking about the cap all that much. It's almost entirely about the plays that are happening on the ice. He's one of the very best in the entire industry.

tbh i’ve never heard ferraro call a game. he used to work a US telecast right? fox or espn bitd?

but you’re right, it’s a different job than the elliotte friedman job

1685945415318.gif

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
tbh i’ve never heard ferraro call a game. he used to work a US telecast right? fox or espn bitd?

but you’re right, it’s a different job than the elliotte friedman job

View attachment 715204

He was the lead TSN guy for years and was excellent there. Moved to ESPN last season. Worked for ESPN, Sportsnet, and NBC before that.

Every time I caught a TSN game, I came away very impressed and entertained. He’s a natural at it.

kaczor

Jul 3, 2005
NZ
I like Ferraro a lot, possibly the best candidate that jumps to mind. I hope he does a fair share of games.
(Was expecting a diversity hire, tbh)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad