Ray Ferraro comments on the Current State of the Canucks

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
But he has played hockey at its highest level, so I when he speaks, I listen.

Personally, I think he's one of the top ex-NHLer analysts today. I'd rank Aaron Ward, who's relatively new to sports media up there as well. He's one of the (few) "highlights" of the TEAM's morning show.

PJ Stock has played in the NHL - you listen to that fool too? Mike Milbury?

west in the east

Sep 19, 2005
Vancouver
If he told it like it was, he would be talking about both sides of an incident, not just one.

To me, what Ray does here is unbalanced in much the same way Garret is, only Ray went in a negative direction while Garret remains über positive. Both are one-sided positions.

Contrast what Ray does to what Friedman does, discussing both sides of the issue. It makes Ray look like he's trying to be fair without acheiving it. Completely falls short.

I think Ray is out of his depth here.

I also notice he flip-flops from one medium to another. He goes from positive to negative from tv to radio and vice versa. Basically tries to go with the flavor and gets it backwards

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I'd rather change Torts, than try to build an awful dull, no offense, shot blocking 6 goalie system team to suit his outdated hockey philosophy.

Everyone (in the West at least) blocks shots wherever possible nowadays. Staying aggressive when ahead is the exact opposite of the old-school norm of sitting back to protect the lead. Don't see what's so outdated about it. If anything, your post was probably more a criticism of the system than some general philosophy.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'd rather change Torts, than try to build an awful dull, no offense, shot blocking 6 goalie system team to suit his outdated hockey philosophy.

Wait so the "no offense" is his doing and not some of the players struggling to score? I think your listening to rangers fans generalizations about him which even most of them admit was wrong.

Last year we were 20th in goals scored, this year we also sit 20th for goals scored.

Its not like torts is sucking up our offense, our players are just continuing a trend where they struggle to score (although its nice to see kassian improving in this area picking up slack for others). Our PP has also been bad since 2012 and as bad (maybe a bit worse this year), but that can also be blamed on personnel and our PP coaches (brown and now Gulutzan).

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Everyone (in the West at least) blocks shots wherever possible nowadays. Staying aggressive when ahead is the exact opposite of the old-school norm of sitting back to protect the lead. Don't see what's so outdated about it. If anything, your post was probably more a criticism of the system than some general philosophy.

Both are as old as time its self. I dont really see these things as old vs new.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
What exactly is a stiff team?

I mean I undersrand the whole Tortorella bluster and all but what exactly is a stiff team?

I think stiffness means taking 2 minutes for slashing or crosschecking a guy that's trying to beat you to the outside or in the corners, instead of hooking and tripping. Nobody fears being hooked or tripped.

Betamax*

If he told it like it was, he would be talking about both sides of an incident, not just one.

To me, what Ray does here is unbalanced in much the same way Garret is, only Ray went in a negative direction while Garret remains über positive. Both are one-sided positions.

Contrast what Ray does to what Friedman does, discussing both sides of the issue. It makes Ray look like he's trying to be fair without acheiving it. Completely falls short.

I think Ray is out of his depth here.

Very different situation where Friedman is writing for a national audience, has time to consider all factors since he is penning an article while Ray is reacting to questions in an radio interview situation. Given the fact that it's a Vancouver radio station, they would focus on the Canucks' personnel involved in said incident over the Flames.

Betamax*

That never changes.

And the problem is he DID go to the dressing room.

Coach damage is "less" because they are expendable.

Also point out the Coach could also penalized his team in a tangible way with an "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty ... I recall Coach AV receiving one last season for questioning an Official's decision.

But as far as being "expendable" ... I'd say 4th line players are essentially that. I mean, I can understand the thought process on why the Coach Torts didn't want to risk a John Scott on Phil Kessel re-enactment or something similar to that and have someone like a Kassian or Sestito jump off the bench to try to make the save.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Also point out the Coach could also penalized his team in a tangible way with an "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty ... I recall Coach AV receiving one last season for questioning an Official's decision.

But as far as being "expendable" ... I'd say 4th line players are essentially that. I mean, I can understand the thought process on why the Coach Torts didn't want to risk a John Scott on Phil Kessel re-enactment or something similar to that and have someone like a Kassian or Sestito jump off the bench to try to make the save.
You need 4 lines. Its not easy to piece together a meaningful 4th and as we have seen that can make the difference between going far or not.

Put the assistant coach in place of the head coach and you wont see much change.

Betamax*

You need 4 lines. Its not easy to piece together a meaningful 4th and as we have seen that can make the difference between going far or not.

Put the assistant coach in place of the head coach and you wont see much change.

Well, I think when the 12th forward on most teams plays under 5 mins a game e.g. a John Scott, he is essentially "expendable" and replaceable.

Do you think a loss of a John Scott (via suspension for example), for the next AHL call-up makes more of a tangible difference than an assistant coach in place of the head coach?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Okay, you have a point there. :laugh:

Not all ex-players turned analysts are of the same caliber of course.

Some are thoughtful and realize it's foolish to speak in absolutes.

PJ Stock is not one of these. Examples of good analysts who were players are Kelly Hrudey, Ferraro, and Aaron Ward. I've thought Alex Auld has been pretty good in his limited appearances.

ManoWarrior

Jul 24, 2010
We can still keep the Sedins and be a goon team. The Anaheim Ducks had Macdonald and Selanne on the first line. If the Canucks add Ladd and maybe Ott, they remind me a lot of that team, minus the top end talent on D.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
We can still keep the Sedins and be a goon team. The Anaheim Ducks had Macdonald and Selanne on the first line. If the Canucks add Ladd and maybe Ott, they remind me a lot of that team, minus the top end talent on D.

Problem is that of the Canucks young players, only Kassian is really a physical presence. Adding Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Corrado etc doesn't help. Though they could certainly help the Canucks trend back to being a good transition team.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Wait so the "no offense" is his doing and not some of the players struggling to score? I think your listening to rangers fans generalizations about him which even most of them admit was wrong.

Last year we were 20th in goals scored, this year we also sit 20th for goals scored.

Its not like torts is sucking up our offense, our players are just continuing a trend where they struggle to score (although its nice to see kassian improving in this area picking up slack for others). Our PP has also been bad since 2012 and as bad (maybe a bit worse this year), but that can also be blamed on personnel and our PP coaches (brown and now Gulutzan).

I also don't get the shot blocking mantra that seems to be following Tortorella around. The Canucks are barely in the top 10 in blocked shots this year and are just over 1 blocked shot per game above the median.

You don't hear people accuse McLellan (his teams have been 5th, 2nd, and 5th in blocked shots over the last 3 years) or Boudreau (6th, 8th, and 6th) as running a "6 goalie system".

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
You can never make the journalism world happy.

If the Canucks didn't react to the Kings/Flames, Ferraro would call them soft and refer to them as a weak team physically. Once the Canucks start to stand up for themselves, Ferraro calls them out of control and stepping out of the line.

Betamax*

If the Canucks didn't react to the Kings/Flames, Ferraro would call them soft and refer to them as a weak team physically. Once the Canucks start to stand up for themselves, Ferraro calls them out of control and stepping out of the line.

Have you heard Ferraro on his daily radio segments? They play this sound bite each time when they introduce him saying "Don't put words in my mouth ... it pisses me off!!!" (I think he was talking to Pratt when he had the afternoon gig)

Ferraro's pretty level headed when it comes to the Canucks. He's local and he has stated many times that unlike other BC born players' he would have loved to have played for the Canucks but the opportunity never came to him.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
This crap about blocking shots-The LA kings won cup and had least amount of block shots

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

Have you heard Ferraro on his daily radio segments? They play this sound bite each time when they introduce him saying "Don't put words in my mouth ... it pisses me off!!!" (I think he was talking to Pratt when he had the afternoon gig)

Ferraro's pretty level headed when it comes to the Canucks. He's local and he has stated many times that unlike other BC born players' he would have loved to have played for the Canucks but the opportunity never came to him.

I'm not talking about Ferraro, I'm just talking about the sports world in general.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
This crap about blocking shots-The LA kings won cup and had least amount of block shots
possession juggernaut. they had the puck a lot and didn't need to. probably the same story for their hits stat.

that doesn't mean they're not important defensive plays, just that if you're really good they happen less frequently.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Thanks for reply-Only meant you can still win playing a different style if you have right players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad