Ray Ferraro comments on the Current State of the Canucks

Betamax*

Anyone else listen to some critical comments he made on today's show (before we heard news of the suspension on Coach Torts) ....

For those who missed it, it was on the usual 4pm segment of the B-Mac and Taylor Afternoon show:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TEAM...1o6inE/BMac_and_Taylor_January_20_Hour3_~.mp3

Among the "highlights" or "lowlights" ... from memory:

He was critical of the behaviour of a few Canucks players last game. Specifically cited Kassian standing up and implying a "You want a piece of me behaviour" to the Flames bench ... Burrows mocking O'Brien with his references to drinking. I think he stated that they were acting like clowns and the team was acting out of control.

Also very critical of Coach Torts' intermission interlude to confront the Flames.

Another comment he made that the Canucks needed to change about ~seven players if they wanted to re-imagine themselves into the type of team Coach Torts' want.

For the most part I agree with Ferraro's take on the situation with the Canucks. I don't however think it would take such a huge turnover of the roster to re-model the team into the style that Coach Torts' wants. Whether this newly found style actually produces results in the standings ... to be honest, I'm not sure right now if it will have positive effect on it or not.

What say you? :m-cool:

Betamax*

Burrows has talked worse trash than that. Ferraro just likes the sound of his own voice..

Burrows has had that rep for a while and I think he and Kesler was told by Team Managment a while back to tone it down.

The gesture is somewhat similar to what Marchand did to the Canucks with his references to the Stanley Cup but was more of a personal shot against OB.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Burrows has had that rep for a while and I think he and Kesler was told by Team Managment a while back to tone it down.

The gesture is somewhat similar to what Marchand did to the Canucks with his references to the Stanley Cup but was more of a personal shot against OB.

Meh, maybe. 20 years ago that wouldn't even have been caught on camera so I think this is all a bit overboard.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
That's nice. I like Ray and he's paid to have an opinion, but I don't give two craps what he thinks. He's not in that room, he doesn't know the players on any kind of meaningful level, and as far as I know, he never played for Torts.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
That's nice. I like Ray and he's paid to have an opinion, but I don't give two craps what he thinks. He's not in that room, he doesn't know the players on any kind of meaningful level, and as far as I know, he never played for Torts.

great post, agree completely

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
Anyone else listen to some critical comments he made on today's show (before we heard news of the suspension on Coach Torts) ....

For those who missed it, it was on the usual 4pm segment of the B-Mac and Taylor Afternoon show:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TEAM...1o6inE/BMac_and_Taylor_January_20_Hour3_~.mp3

Among the "highlights" or "lowlights" ... from memory:

He was critical of the behaviour of a few Canucks players last game. Specifically cited Kassian standing up and implying a "You want a piece of me behaviour" to the Flames bench ... Burrows mocking O'Brien with his references to drinking. I think he stated that they were acting like clowns and the team was acting out of control.

No issues with what Burrows did.

Also very critical of Coach Torts' intermission interlude to confront the Flames.
Understandable

Another comment he made that the Canucks needed to change about ~seven players if they wanted to re-imagine themselves into the type of team Coach Torts' want.

I think he is way off on the number here.

For the most part I agree with Ferraro's take on the situation with the Canucks. I don't however think it would take such a huge turnover of the roster to re-model the team into the style that Coach Torts' wants. Whether this newly found style actually produces results in the standings ... to be honest, I'm not sure right now if it will have positive effect on it or not.

What say you? :m-cool:
responses in bold

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
People jumping on the Hate Train. Ferraro is always the first to buy a ticket, no matter where it goes.

I think he should just watch golf.

Betamax*

But he has played hockey at its highest level, so I when he speaks, I listen.

Personally, I think he's one of the top ex-NHLer analysts today. I'd rank Aaron Ward, who's relatively new to sports media up there as well. He's one of the (few) "highlights" of the TEAM's morning show.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
But he has played hockey at its highest level, so I when he speaks, I listen.

Personally, I think he's one of the top ex-NHLer analysts today. I'd rank Aaron Ward, who's relatively new to sports media up there as well. He's one of the (few) "highlights" of the TEAM's morning show.

Ferraro, is that you?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Oh boy, I was waiting with baited breath to hear Ray Ferraro's opinion on things! /yawn

I dislike Ferraro obviously, but I don't think he's completely wrong in this instance. Torts wants the team "stiffer" so the team is trying to play how he wants...but the undisciplined play is something they're going to need to curb.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think they'll be a stiff team, but they still won't score enough goals to actually beat the good teams in this league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinochick

Sep 10, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I am listening to Ferraro right now on the podcast and I agree with him. The Canucks were acting like clowns. I was worried that if Kassian had scored the shootout gwg, he would have taunted the Flames bench.

When Ferraro says the Canucks had to change up to 7 guys to match Tort's vision, I wonder which 7 guys he was referring to: H. Sedin, D. Sedin, who else????

Beta : I find it funny that I totally agree with you that Ferraro and Aaron Ward are among the best former player now NHL analysts yet I totally disagree with you re: Bro Jake and Dave Pratt! :)

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Oh boy, I was waiting with baited breath to hear Ray Ferraro's opinion on things! /yawn

I dislike Ferraro obviously, but I don't think he's completely wrong in this instance. Torts wants the team "stiffer" so the team is trying to play how he wants...but the undisciplined play is something they're going to need to curb.

I don't think the Canucks are undisciplined- 10th overall in minors taken-our best placement in years.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
I generally like Ferraro. His playing experience gives him a certain amount of credibility. I feel I can trust he's giving me his honest opinion as he sees it, and not the same media-spun BS that alot of the other talking heads are spouting.

That said, I've yet to come across an analyst or media personality I agree with 100% of the time. I don't agree with Ferraro here.That's ok, because how each person views this whole situation is purely subjective. It's somewhat ironic though, as Ray is quite the hothead himself, and was during his playing days. I could easily picture him smack in the middle of this kind of thing.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
What did Ray think about the Canucks before the LA game? I love how people think Canucks completely changed because of 4 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad