WWE: Raw/SD/NXT/PPV Spoiler Thread part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
One of Finn or Seth have to go to Smackdown with Raw getting Styles. I'm feeling Seth to SD since Balor is a fresh face in the scene due to his injury; Rollins has worked everyone except Joe. You can do an SD vs. Raw Seth vs. Joe match at Summerslam.

Also, Seth/Nakamura would >>>>>

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is why the brand split is a stupid idea. All is does is prevent great matches.

WWE isn't always interested in great matches as they are having 'cool moments' and getting their people over.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Got them better ratings on Smackdown.

Theoretically, in the long run, all of the indy guys getting gobbled up right now will make their way up, and hopefully not having great matches will be atypical.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
And keeping them separate makes it even more special when they do have those big matches.

AJ Styles goes to Raw and suddenly the prospect of AJ/Nak isn't too likely, but a big interpromotional WM match next year? Oh boy.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Bummed AJ is going to RAW, Nothing for him to do there since he'll be nowhere near the title scene. Unless the plan is for AJ/Lesnar at SummerSlam, even then we all know AJ is getting squashed

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Without the brand split, one of Kevin Owens/AJ Styles and definitely Bray Wyatt would not have had World Title runs.

It's pretty obvious that the Raw title rotation is going to be Lesnar/Reigns/Rollins/Balor for the foreseeable future. Smackdown it's AJ/Orton and MAYBE Bray, he looks like a dork now but we'll see how he comes out of this Haunted House match or w/e. Nakamura will be but not immediately.

Smackdown ratings have gone up, SD house shows are better I think?

And as for making the best matches, it's much better when guys don't cross paths for forever and THEN the moment they do it means something. Keep Balor and Styles away from each other as long as you can.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Without the brand split, one of Kevin Owens/AJ Styles and definitely Bray Wyatt would not have had World Title runs.

It's pretty obvious that the Raw title rotation is going to be Lesnar/Reigns/Rollins/Balor for the foreseeable future. Smackdown it's AJ/Orton and MAYBE Bray, he looks like a dork now but we'll see how he comes out of this Haunted House match or w/e. Nakamura will be but not immediately.

And as for making the best matches, it's much better when guys don't cross paths for forever and THEN the moment they do it means something. Keep Balor and Styles away from each other as long as you can.

All of this can be done though without the concept of a brand split, minus multiple world titles. Smackdown will always be looked at as the B show, and Bray held the B World Title. It's way too faux for me to enjoy the brand split I guess.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm cool with Styles going to Raw if Seth comes back the other way. Smackdown HAS TO have a "do it all" wrestler at the top of the card. Orton is beyond lazy, Wyatt's been castrated and their best worker (Ambrose) is putting over the midcard right now but everyone know's he's not the level of a Rollins, Styles or Nakamura. So that means unless WWE plans on shoving Saturn V rocket up Nakamura's butt (which I doubt they will right away) that leaves Smackdown in a really bad spot right now.

Plus Seth to Smackdown makes too much sense anyway. He's done with HHH and as previously stated he's just about exhausted almost every possible match-up.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The brand split was an absolute necessity. There's way too much talent to showcase and not nearly enough gold to go around for a deep main event card.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Smackdown's better for house shows because of Cena. Now with him gone, who knows how they do. Orton's not a guy who's ever carried a brand and I bet we get lower than normal ratings next week and for the duration of his title reign barring a big name going to SD with Styles going to Raw.

It has to be Seth or Finn.

I think it'll be Seth, but Finn is also intriguing to keep The Club/Styles and Finn a part for a bit longer. Finn's the fresher face in the Raw main event scene, though, compared to Seth who has worked everyone already.

Balor vs. Orton, Balor vs. Wyatt and Balor vs. Shinsuke are all intriguing match-ups on Smackdown. Rollins vs. Nakamura would be the best out of any of those three, though. One of those two has to go, though. Orton's not the guy to carry a brand.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
2016:
RAW (April 4th) - 4.094 million
SD (April 7th) - 2.444 million
= 6.538 million

2017:
RAW (April 3rd) - 3.767 million
SDL (April 4th) - 2.885 million
= 6.652 million

Smackdown managed to get some viewers over last year. Going live and the draft may have helped.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
2016:
RAW (April 4th) - 4.094 million
SD (April 7th) - 2.444 million
= 6.538 million

2017:
RAW (April 3rd) - 3.767 million
SDL (April 4th) - 2.885 million
= 6.652 million

Smackdown managed to get some viewers over last year. Going live and the draft may have helped.

What helped was making SD a real show and not the Raw highlight/recap show. I went to a SD before the brand split and it was the worse show I've ever been to for any promotion with the 3 jobber-filled matches and all of the video packages.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The brand split would could have been amazing if they changed Smackdown to a WCW show with Shane running it. And at least it gives it some kayfabe in why there is a split and that it can be treated as a separate organization. Then you can have cross matches and whatnot and it would feel like a bigger deal still than now.

McMahons ego never would let it happen though, and we got the crap that we got instead.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
The brand split would could have been amazing if they changed Smackdown to a WCW show with Shane running it. And at least it gives it some kayfabe in why there is a split and that it can be treated as a separate organization. Then you can have cross matches and whatnot and it would feel like a bigger deal still than now.

McMahons ego never would let it happen though, and we got the crap that we got instead.

Shane does run it already so basically you just want the name to say WCW instead of Smackdown? No one cares if the split has a legitimate legal reasoning behind it. Cross matches doesn't make sense for a split. If you are going to do cross matches, then why even split the shows up all.

The brand split has increased Smackdown ratings, gave huge opportunities to people like the Miz, Becky, Alexa, Naomi, KO, AJ, Bray, Baron Corbin. Dolph was even featured in an IC run for awhile. I didn't like the idea at first but you can't deny it is better than what we were getting.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I think a lot of people are really forgetting how good Smackdown actually was. It had consistently been a good show long before the split happened, the split just kept the trend going. It was still a B show before hand, but it was many times more watchable than Raw.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Shane does run it already so basically you just want the name to say WCW instead of Smackdown? No one cares if the split has a legitimate legal reasoning behind it. Cross matches doesn't make sense for a split. If you are going to do cross matches, then why even split the shows up all.

The brand split has increased Smackdown ratings, gave huge opportunities to people like the Miz, Becky, Alexa, Naomi, KO, AJ, Bray, Baron Corbin. Dolph was even featured in an IC run for awhile. I didn't like the idea at first but you can't deny it is better than what we were getting.

Yeah, titles and brand recognition mean absolutely nothing in wrestling...honestly you actually care about a "Smackdown" champion and a "RAW" champion? Those SD tag team titles are so prestigious. Some storylines are better than others, and WCW vs. WWE is a better storyline, or could have been if they didn't screw it up so badly.

The point wasn't a legal reasoning, the point is long term thinking and laying down a foundation. Gee, what would have been cooler, continuing a WCW vs. WWE head to head and have guys switch over in a kayfabe sense, or Smackdown vs. Raw? I vote WCW vs. WWE. TV titles, big goldie belt for the champion, all better.

And cross matches have happened before, its not something you do a lot, its an "invasion" type of thing. People talk about it here all the time.

And yes, Smackdown is better because it isn't treated like a replay of RAW anymore, which still could have been accomplished without the brand split idea.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
Yeah, titles and brand recognition mean absolutely nothing in wrestling...honestly you actually care about a "Smackdown" champion and a "RAW" champion? Those SD tag team titles are so prestigious. Some storylines are better than others, and WCW vs. WWE is a better storyline, or could have been if they didn't screw it up so badly.

The point wasn't a legal reasoning, the point is long term thinking and laying down a foundation. Gee, what would have been cooler, continuing a WCW vs. WWE head to head and have guys switch over in a kayfabe sense, or Smackdown vs. Raw? I vote WCW vs. WWE. TV titles, big goldie belt for the champion, all better.

And cross matches have happened before, its not something you do a lot, its an "invasion" type of thing. People talk about it here all the time.

And yes, Smackdown is better because it isn't treated like a replay of RAW anymore, which still could have been accomplished without the brand split idea.

WCW was bought 16 years ago so that ship has come and gone and at this point the WCW name means ****. So looking at just this recent brand split, they used a well established brand, Smackdown. I'm not sure if your just bitter about the first brand split but this is now and it's working well so far.

Also, that invasion angle has been done to death and every time it happens it goes on way to long and sputters out.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
WCW was bought 16 years ago so that ship has come and gone and at this point the WCW name means ****. So looking at just this recent brand split, they used a well established brand, Smackdown. I'm not sure if your just bitter about the first brand split but this is now and it's working well so far.

Also, that invasion angle has been done to death and every time it happens it goes on way to long and sputters out.

Agree to disagree on the WCW brand meaning ****. Nostalgia is king nowadays. I make no bones I am anti brand split because the idea just seems so stupid to me at a fan level. At a making money level? Sure, I definitely understand it. Team Blue vs. Team Red is just cringe worthy force fed, my opinion anyway.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
Agree to disagree on the WCW brand meaning ****. Nostalgia is king nowadays. I make no bones I am anti brand split because the idea just seems so stupid to me at a fan level. At a making money level? Sure, I definitely understand it. Team Blue vs. Team Red is just cringe worthy force fed, my opinion anyway.

I think it works for men but it does make no sense for woman and even tag teams since there are so few of them on each show.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Samson and Almas are reportedly a part of the talent shakeup this week.

I hope Samson goes to Raw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad