Speculation: Rate your level of concern

Rate your level of concern

• Total voters

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Oilers had a ton of holes last year and well we didn't fill any of them in the offseason.

This entire season hinges on out of this world performances by McDavid and Draisatl

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Concern? It’s going to be measured in apathy soon, like it was during the DoD.

These losers don’t have the will to rattle off 7 wins in a row like the Blues did, either

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
For whatever reason, today I figured out I can describe my relationship & feelings about the Oilers with Ralph Wiggum memes only.
That thought made me laugh and sad..

What it's like cheering for the Oilers.

YkfwFiA-oC782Zw0vh-ZDyQ6ThM=.gif

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
We are definitely going to be out of the playoffs by christmas, but the schedule is remarkably easier after christmas, so if we pull it together after xmas, we might be able to still sneak into playoffs in a wildcard spot.
We are already in 10th place. Vancouver is only 3 points behind.

• Wow
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Poor starts, taking too many penalties with a near league worst PK, allowing far too many shots, subpar goaltending from their starter, weak goal scoring outside 4 active players, Kanes long term injury and poor coaching is turning my mild concern to medium concern.
A ) They need more leaders on the team. The missing of Kieth is actual huge. Was helping a few youngsters out.

B) The abscense of E Kane. When Kane is in, they have a force of offense. He is a force, he knows finally how to play a powergame.

C) No forward depth to complete a top 6. Everybody except big 4 is playing above their pinhole. The same line rotation as every year.

D) None developed guys can step in a top4 role or fill out a top6. The player developement is suck.

I dont think trading for Chuchryn is the answer, they have cheaper alternatives. But Chuchryn would fill out some. I think Gavrikov, Romanov etc would fit.

And trade one of Pulju, Yam, Fogele.
I dont think Yamamoto will turn it around, but Pulju has build up a value, its a hard quest here.

Reactions: MessierII

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It was about 75% 25% when I started this thread at the 15 game mark that there was no / mild concern to medium / panic levels of concern.

After 20 games its 58% 42%.

I don't know what that is in Concern/60 but I'd say the confidence is waning in this group to pull it together rather quickly.

We could be below San Jose and Vancouver if we lose the next 2 and they win their next 2.

San Jose is starting a massive rebuild with every player but 1 on the block, and Vancouver has been a tire fire screaming to fire their new coach since Day 1 but somehow our new coach is immune to criticism in some parts including the media.

This could be getting real ugly real soon and make 2017-18 look like good times if they cant drag their defensively brain dead asses out of this.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
It was about 75% 25% when I started this thread at the 15 game mark that there was no / mild concern to medium / panic levels of concern.

After 20 games its 58% 42%.

I don't know what that is in Concern/60 but I'd say the confidence is waning in this group to pull it together rather quickly.

We could be below San Jose and Vancouver if we lose the next 2 and they win their next 2.

San Jose is starting a massive rebuild with every player but 1 on the block, and Vancouver has been a tire fire screaming to fire their new coach since Day 1 but somehow our new coach is immune to criticism in some parts including the media.

This could be getting real ugly real soon and make 2017-18 look like good times if they cant drag their defensively brain dead asses out of this.
The media in Edmonton is probably the softest in Canada or tied with others.

They are so scared to lose their passes.

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Edmonton has allowed 72 goals against this year. Arizona has allowed 62 goals against this year.

Oilers d-core
Nurse, Ceci, Kulak, Barrie, Bouchard, Nemo, Murray

Arizona d-core
Ghost, Nemeth, Valimaki, Brown, Stetcher, Mayo, Moser (I didnt even include Chychrun because hes been injured all year)

Would anyone trade Oilers d-core for Arizon's d-core (not including Chychrun)?

The team is broken. Preventing goals against is just a not a priority for the Oilers (including forwards). Been like this for awhile.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton has allowed 72 goals against this year. Arizona has allowed 62 goals against this year.

Oilers d-core

Arizona d-core
Ghost, Nemeth, Valimaki, Brown, Stetcher, Mayo, Moser (I didnt even include Chychrun because hes been injured all year)

The team is broken. Preventing goals against is just a not a priority for the Oilers (including forwards). Been like this for awhile.

We honestly should've paid a pick to get Valimaki off them. Say what you want about the Flames but they draft D way better than us, if they saw something in him, we should've just gone for it.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We honestly should've paid a pick to get Valimaki off them. Say what you want about the Flames but they draft D way better than us, if they saw something in him, we should've just gone for it.

Thats not really my take away from my post. Even if we make a trade and get a LD2, not sure its going magically fix the defense. The team mentality and priorities arent there to begin with.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thats not really my take away from my post. Even if we make a trade and get a LD2, not sure its going magically fix the defense. The team mentality and priorities arent there to begin with.

What do you expect from a D corps that is that soft and frankly below average in defensive I.Q. (which is a nice way of saying they're stupid).

The D was terrible in the playoffs too, they allowed almost 4 goals against per game which is absurd.

The goal was always to just score a shit ton of goals this year I guess and wait for the trade deadline for Kenny H. to come back from his 8 month fishing sabatical and actually do some work to bring in an upgrade (does this guy even live in Edmonton at all? Seems like he's out in B.C. or Detroit all year long).

The problem is with Kane gone, and Puljujarvi + Yamamoto predictably f***ing the team and not being on pace to score 4 goals all year instead of the 38 we got from them the year prior ... the fire wagon hockey setup has probably gone to shit. Don't think they have the horses to play that, but they don't have the roster make up to play defensive hockey either.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
What do you expect from a D corps that is that soft and frankly below average in defensive I.Q. (which is a nice way of saying they're stupid).

The D was terrible in the playoffs too, they allowed almost 4 goals against per game which is absurd.

The goal was always to just score a shit ton of goals this year I guess and wait for the trade deadline for Kenny H. to come back from his 8 month fishing sabatical and actually do some work to bring in an upgrade.

The problem is with Kane gone, and Puljujarvi + Yamamoto predictably f***ing the team and not being on pace to score 4 goals all year instead of the 38 we got from them the year prior ... the fire wagon hockey setup has probably gone to shit. Don't think they have the horses to play that, but they don't have the roster make up to play defensive hockey either.

So then you would trade Arizonas d-core (minus JC) for our d-core?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So then you would trade Arizonas d-core (minus JC) for our d-core?

I mean maybe. I don't think it makes much of a difference. Our D can't defend a water paper bag, they're soft and stupid. They can go on some offensive heaters now and again, but there's no one on our D that I look at and go "wow, this guy sure is a steady, savvy defender". It wouldn't shock me that a guy like Valimaki for example is better at actual *de-fending* than a player like Bouchard or Barrie and several of Arizona's vanilla guys are about the same as a Kulak or Ceci say.

The team made the Conference Finals because McDavid/Draisaitl/Hyman/Kane dragged them there playing fire wagon 1980s hockey.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Oilers d-core

Arizona d-core

Just looking at that core... one top 4 D, Ceci/Kulak/Barrie are all third pairing guys, Bouchard is slumping big time, and a couple non-NHLers in Nemo and Murray.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad