Speculation: Rate your level of concern

Rate your level of concern

• Total voters

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just looking at that core... one top 4 D, Ceci/Kulak/Barrie are all third pairing guys, Bouchard is slumping big time, and a couple non-NHLers in Nemo and Murray.

Bouchard is defensively a no.6 D too ... just because he has offensive upside doesn't mean that magically gives him defensive prowess. It doesn't work like that.

He's a lot like Justin Schultz, below average defensive I.Q. with a low motor (very little intensity). Good offensive tools though.

Right now he's in his "let me regress at the worst possible time for the team" phase of his development.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wonder if Barry Trotz could fix this mess.

Or if these losers would tune out Barry Trotz.

He probably could jolt them and get enough structure in there to get them into the playoffs even without Kane ... but from an optics POV it would be embarrassing to fire Woodcroft that quickly after you just fired Tippett, so they can't do it.

But if you're asking me straight up, would Trotz make a difference ... probably yes. In the short term. Long term you have to stop having incompetent GMs that build wildly unbalanced rosters and draft like shit.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He probably could jolt them and get enough structure in there to get them into the playoffs even without Kane ... but from an optics POV it would be embarrassing to fire Woodcroft that quickly after you just fired Tippett, so they can't do it.

But if you're asking me straight up, would Trotz make a difference ... probably yes. In the short term. Long term you have to stop having incompetent GMs that build wildly unbalanced rosters and draft like shit.

What are the optics of missing the playoffs?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think the first step in all of this is being able to have a full 23 man roster and creating competition up and down the lineup
A tool our current coach doesn’t have

Thanks to Holland and his "generational patience" we went into the year with a 12 man forward roster that didn't even have our best players on it (Janmark and Kostin not on roster until Kane went down while we kept Ryan and Shore) and a massive hole at 2LD that probably wont be filled until the trade deadline, if we are even in the playoff hunt by then.

Once Kane gets back we are back to a 12 man forward roster with a 4th line probably of Benson Shore and Ryan.

So our coach wont have a complete toolbox this season at all, and he is fumbling around with the few tools he has.

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You're preaching to the choir my man, but I don't think they will do it. Holland looked like he was forced to shoot a puppy when he fired Tipp, lol.

You'd think at some point Katz would get off his golden toilet and clean house starting with Nicholson who is in hiding till the Hockey Canada tribunals are completed.

I used to preach patience as a fan and have been crucified here for doing so. Did it with Chia, TMac, Tippett, Holland, but my patience has worn out this year.

I dont give a flying f*** anymore if we fired Holland and Woody tomorrow. Barry Trotz is just sitting there waiting for an invitation. Holland can jump a cliff if he doesn't want to make the move.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Thanks to Holland and his "generational patience" we went into the year with a 12 man forward roster that didn't even have our best players on it (Janmark and Kostin not on roster until Kane went down while we kept Ryan and Shore) and a massive hole at 2LD that probably wont be filled until the trade deadline, if we are even in the playoff hunt by then.

Once Kane gets back we are back to a 12 man forward roster with a 4th line probably of Benson Shore and Ryan.

So our coach wont have a complete toolbox this season at all, and he is fumbling around with the few tools he has.
12 man forward roster? You're giving them too much credit. We actually opened up the season with 11 forwards 6 defensemen and 2 goalies for 19 players out of a possible 23 b/c of how hard Holland f***ed up his cap management. One of the forwards was Brad Malone too so might as well just say it was 10 forwards 6 dmen and 2 goalies for 18. Literally so scuffed we couldn't ice a full lineup.

Reactions: McDNicks17

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
There’s going to be a lot of reactionary takes on here and part of why I’m going to distance myself from these boards a bit, but I’m still where I was a few games ago: slightly concerned but (perhaps foolishly) optimistic that the team can eventually turn things around.

Why? Well here is my meek attempt to try and placate some of the posters that may be getting riled up based on the team’s poor stretch of play:

- Let’s take a look at the most recent few Oilers games. First, a close loss at home against LA, where the opposition was putting everything out on the line and blocked every shot, with the simple goal of beating us after losing in 7 in the playoffs. That was an emotional victory for them and a game I’m sure they had circled on the calendar. Close fought and we come out on the wrong side, but hard to fault the effort or execution level. Then Vegas comes into town and the script reverses; we win a close-fought game that by all accounts should have ended in regulation, given some of the suspect calls on the ice. Now fast forward to this most recent trip, which of course has been disappointing, but also looks worse than it has been. I still think it was careless, individual/rookie mistakes that cost us the win against Jersey (a game where we started well and were outshooting one of the highest shooting & hottest teams in the league), and a traditional “trap” loss against NYI, where we couldn’t beat a hot goalie after surrendering the first goal (or two). Now this isn’t to say that this run has been acceptable, but considering the injuries to our club and the general over reliance on rookies, dry spells are prone to occur and the numbers suggest things will turn around, given these losses are typical for our club.
- The Oilers were 7-3 in their first 10 games of the season, and while they may have been winning unsustainably, their 5v5 numbers were good for the most part, and it was just the PK that stunk. More recently, 5v5 play has taken a dip, while the PK has somewhat improved from the horrendous start. Again, the 5v5 play SHOULD come around at some point, conditional on if we can keep some lines consistent and get the new guys to establish some chemistry. It would also help if we started giving the rookies better opportunities (try McLeod or Holloway in the top 6, perhaps?) instead of continuing to try and fit a square peg into a round hole by saddling one of McDavid or Draisaitl with the offensively incapable Puljujarvi).
- Our bottom-6 is currently rocking a horrendous PDO. At some point this will regress to the mean. Likewise, Evan Bouchard will eventually get out of his offensive slump. Considering we are still 10-10 while receiving minimal offensive contribution from the back end and bottom 6, I would say there is only room to grow from here.
- We have had the second most difficult schedule in the league. This is not an excuse but important context to note when considering the team’s future outlook. Yes, you would hope a contender can still at least be .600-.650 through this stretch, but this is still a flawed roster that requires tinkering (more on that below), and with the Kane injury, those issues are being exposed.
- Lastly, and probably most importantly, the roster will be / should be improved. Not just with the eventual return of Kane, but management knows this season cannot be wasted (there are reports about how pissed Katz was mid-season last year and how there would have been drastic changes if the Oilers missed the playoffs, so I doubt that would change this year). I’m sure there will be in-season additions if things continue to trend in the wrong direction. One or two holes on the backend and in the bottom-6 are magnifying this team’s issues, and if those can get plugged up, I’m sure we will see this team take the next step. Until then, McDavid and Draisaitl are still capable of willing this team to wins on their own, as we’ve seen.

The only concern I have is in the short term. Long term we should still be set up for success, given this team can be managed properly (perhaps a big if), and the young players can learn from their mistakes and step up in crucial moments.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There’s going to be a lot of reactionary takes on here and part of why I’m going to distance myself from these boards a bit, but I’m still where I was a few games ago: slightly concerned but (perhaps foolishly) optimistic that the team can eventually turn things around.

Why? Well here is my meek attempt to try and placate some of the posters that may be getting riled up based on the team’s poor stretch of play:

- Let’s take a look at the most recent few Oilers games. First, a close loss at home against LA, where the opposition was putting everything out on the line and blocked every shot, with the simple goal of beating us after losing in 7 in the playoffs. That was an emotional victory for them and a game I’m sure they had circled on the calendar. Close fought and we come out on the wrong side, but hard to fault the effort or execution level. Then Vegas comes into town and the script reverses; we win a close-fought game that by all accounts should have ended in regulation, given some of the suspect calls on the ice. Now fast forward to this most recent trip, which of course has been disappointing, but also looks worse than it has been. I still think it was careless, individual/rookie mistakes that cost us the win against Jersey (a game where we started well and were outshooting one of the highest shooting & hottest teams in the league), and a traditional “trap” loss against NYI, where we couldn’t beat a hot goalie after surrendering the first goal (or two). Now this isn’t to say that this run has been acceptable, but considering the injuries to our club and the general over reliance on rookies, dry spells are prone to occur and the numbers suggest things will turn around, given these losses are typical for our club.
- The Oilers were 7-3 in their first 10 games of the season, and while they may have been winning unsustainably, their 5v5 numbers were good for the most part, and it was just the PK that stunk. More recently, 5v5 play has taken a dip, while the PK has somewhat improved from the horrendous start. Again, the 5v5 play SHOULD come around at some point, conditional on if we can keep some lines consistent and get the new guys to establish some chemistry. It would also help if we started giving the rookies better opportunities (try McLeod or Holloway in the top 6, perhaps?) instead of continuing to try and fit a square peg into a round hole by saddling one of McDavid or Draisaitl with the offensively incapable Puljujarvi).
- Our bottom-6 is currently rocking a horrendous PDO. At some point this will regress to the mean. Likewise, Evan Bouchard will eventually get out of his offensive slump. Considering we are still 10-10 while receiving minimal offensive contribution from the back end and bottom 6, I would say there is only room to grow from here.
- We have had the second most difficult schedule in the league. This is not an excuse but important context to note when considering the team’s future outlook. Yes, you would hope a contender can still at least be .600-.650 through this stretch, but this is still a flawed roster that requires tinkering (more on that below), and with the Kane injury, those issues are being exposed.
- Lastly, and probably most importantly, the roster will be / should be improved. Not just with the eventual return of Kane, but management knows this season cannot be wasted (there are reports about how pissed Katz was mid-season last year and how there would have been drastic changes if the Oilers missed the playoffs, so I doubt that would change this year). I’m sure there will be in-season additions if things continue to trend in the wrong direction. One or two holes on the backend and in the bottom-6 are magnifying this team’s issues, and if those can get plugged up, I’m sure we will see this team take the next step. Until then, McDavid and Draisaitl are still capable of willing this team to wins on their own, as we’ve seen.

The only concern I have is in the short term. Long term we should still be set up for success, given this team can be managed properly (perhaps a big if), and the young players can learn from their mistakes and step up in crucial moments.

I don't have any particular issue with any one of the Oilers losses except maybe the Dallas and Carolina ones and only 2 stinkers in 20 games isn't really the end of the world. I also recognize the schedule hasn't been optimal, but we're supposed a top team 10 team.

As such no matter how difficult a schedule, you need to be earning 8 points minimum every 7 games (i.e. win each 7 game segment emulating the playoffs thus clicking at minimum 94 point pace). You then create your separation in lighter portions of the schedule by putting up 10 or more points in the 7 game stretches.

Up until this 7 game recent segment, Edmonton had survived on the minimum 4-3 record in each of the first seven game segments. However, they are now 2-4 in this segment so they are now putting themselves and danger and need at least one 5-2 segment soon to make up for this one.

The problem is they still have another 15 games before the schedule lets up. The longer they go before make up for the lost segment, or if they lose another 7 game segment, they all of the sudden need to start putting up mulitple 5-2 segments just to catch back up.

As such, it's time to get this under control quickly.

Positives when comparing to 2017-18?

They've at least strung together a 5 game winning streak. 2017-18 didn't win 3 in a row until December 21st and had only twice had won back to back games but required OT to do so.

They were 5 games below .500 by this point and already had a 3 game and a 4 game losing streak under their belts. This on has only hit 3 straight once (albeit they are staring down another one Saturday morning).

So they still have time, but they have to stop the bleeding now and they can't afford to have the typical November-December defensive slump extend into December again for their best players. There's just not enough runway to weather that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't have any particular issue with any one of the Oilers losses except maybe the Dallas and Carolina ones and only 2 stinkers in 20 games isn't really the end of the world. I also recognize the schedule hasn't been optimal, but we're supposed a top team 10 team.

As such no matter how difficult a schedule, you need to be earning 8 points minimum every 7 games (i.e. win each 7 game segment emulating the playoffs thus clicking at minimum 94 point pace). You then create your separation in lighter portions of the schedule by putting up 10 or more points in the 7 game stretches.

Up until this 7 game recent segment, Edmonton had survived on the minimum 4-3 record in each of the first seven game segments. However, they are now 2-4 in this segment so they are now putting themselves and danger and need at least one 5-2 segment soon to make up for this one.

The problem is they still have another 15 games before the schedule lets up. The longer they go before make up for the lost segment, or if they lose another 7 game segment, they all of the sudden need to start putting up mulitple 5-2 segments just to catch back up.

As such, it's time to get this under control quickly.

Positives when comparing to 2017-18?

They've at least strung together a 5 game winning streak. 2017-18 didn't win 3 in a row until December 21st and had only twice had won back to back games but required OT to do so.

They were 5 games below .500 by this point and already had a 3 game and a 4 game losing streak under their belts. This on has only hit 3 straight once (albeit they are staring down another one Saturday morning).

So they still have time, but they have to stop the bleeding now and they can't afford to have the typical November-December defensive slump extend into December again for their best players. There's just not enough runway to weather that.

2-4 is the area of concern as you've said ... that's exactly the 6 games they've played with no Kane ... if that's the team they are without Kane, they're hooped.

In the 10 games prior to adding Kane last year they were also 3-5-2 ... slip slidin' out of the playoffs.

Kenny has to make a trade for a forward.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
2-4 is the area of concern as you've said ... that's exactly the 6 games they've played with no Kane ... if that's the team they are without Kane, they're hooped.

In the 10 games prior to adding Kane last year they were also 3-5-2 ... slip slidin' out of the playoffs.

Kenny has to make a trade for a forward.
Unless Kane is shut down until April 13th or the receiving team is willing to take on one or more of the three $3M men and Barrie, they can't make a trade or at least any kind of trade for a player close to a Kane replacement.

Reactions: brentashton

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unless Kane is shut down until April 13th or the receiving team is willing to take on one or more of the three $3M men and Barrie, they can't make a trade or at least any kind of trade for a player close to a Kane replacement.

Yeah that's a given that Puljujarvi or Yamamoto has to go out the door.

Reactions: bone

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
What it's like cheering for the Oilers.

YkfwFiA-oC782Zw0vh-ZDyQ6ThM=.gif
Well, at least your heads still above water. Barely.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You'd think at some point Katz would get off his golden toilet and clean house starting with Nicholson who is in hiding till the Hockey Canada tribunals are completed.

I used to preach patience as a fan and have been crucified here for doing so. Did it with Chia, TMac, Tippett, Holland, but my patience has worn out this year.

I dont give a flying f*** anymore if we fired Holland and Woody tomorrow. Barry Trotz is just sitting there waiting for an invitation. Holland can jump a cliff if he doesn't want to make the move.
LOL, weve all been crucified for being good but judicious fans. That’s sometimes the problem with the gang around here. People don’t read the entire post and think. Greasy birds sometimes don’t think before they post.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If it accounts for strength of schedule and current injury status it makes a bit more sense
Calgary has a sightly easier schedule from here on out and no major injuries at the moment
I don’t know we have played Florida, Tampa, Carolina twice, Vegas, jersey twice, the blues twice. Have they really had a harder schedule? I find that hard to believe.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I don’t know we have played Florida, Tampa, Carolina twice, Vegas, jersey twice, the blues twice. Have they really had a harder schedule? I find that hard to believe.
I said calgary has a slightly easier schedule from here on out
I didn’t say anything about to this point
But, that said.
According to this site, up to this point (cause I suppose it changes daily). Calgary has gas a slightly tougher schedule that us
And
Going forward, they have a slightly easier schedule
With no major injuries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad