Votes: 9 3.4%
  • F

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Again, who is saying that the deal was Vaak and a low 1st when TWO 2nd rounders were involved? I mean you can keep parroting this all you want it doesn't mean that its correct. We have a difference of opinion and at the end of the day it doesn't matter since Sweeney gave up 2 2nd rounders and had the Ducks retain 50% cap hit this year for....nothing

If the deal was Lindholm for Moore Vaak a 1st a 2nd and a 5th without any money retained the Ducks still make the trade. And thats the point.

YOU are.

If the price of taking Moore was a 2nd rounder, you're saying that Vaak and a 1st should have been enough to get Lindholm. That wasn't going to happen.

Now, you're saying tossing in a late round pick should have been enough, which doesn't pass the sniff test either. At all.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Connor Clifton has more goals than Max Domi in their last 35 games.

Clifton has 2.

And Domi plays no defense. Is Domi what Hall and Pasta need? A guy who passes well, but plays no defense and doesn't really put the puck in the net? You can point to Domi's one good year... but then can't I point to Haula's one good year and say Haula does it with better defense and without being a shit bag?
Where did I say he was taking Haula job ?

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
YOU are.

If the price of taking Moore was a 2nd rounder, you're saying that Vaak and a 1st should have been enough to get Lindholm. That wasn't going to happen.

Now, you're saying tossing in a late round pick should have been enough, which doesn't pass the sniff test either. At all.

Putting Moore in the deal and putting in the 50% retention brought in another 2nd round pick. Eliminate one of the two and the compensation lessens. There were TWO second rounders in the deal, not one. The second one was tossed in to pay the freight of Moore AND the 50% retention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Connor Clifton has more goals than Max Domi in their last 35 games.

Clifton has 2.

And Domi plays no defense. Is Domi what Hall and Pasta need? A guy who passes well, but plays no defense and doesn't really put the puck in the net? You can point to Domi's one good year... but then can't I point to Haula's one good year and say Haula does it with better defense and without being a shit bag?
Are you saying Clifton is a better forward? Are you saying the Carolina GM doesn’t know what he’s doing? Domi would’ve been a great depth move/rental seeing that Boston only has one top 6 center and hope that Debrusk doesn’t pull a disappearing act. Just guessing, Domi didn’t want to be in Cbus & he seems entitled cause he comes from NHL royalty, Tie Domi. But I bet he’s gonna be motivated to prove himself & get a new contract. The kind of player you want to rent. Kinda like Evander Kane, guy is on a mission. Just have to wait and see how he does in Carolina. But it would’ve been a great depth move with nothing to lose but a minor prospect.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think they could only get a 2nd for him at the deadline and they figure they could get that for him at the draft so they might as well hang on to him for now

Also the reason he couldn’t get Rakell is because Rakell didn’t want to be extended. I know plenty of ppl who were in the “no rentals” camp and they must be elated over the way Don conducted business this deadline
Makes sense, and you're right about the mantra about ''no rentals." Every year though teams use rentals for the playoffs, trick is to find the right ones. Lindholm was a great trade, just wish we could've gotten Middleton and Deslauriers, that would've stacked this team up with some hefty muscle.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Putting Moore in the deal OR putting in the 50% retention brought in another 2nd round pick. Eliminate one of the two and the compensation lessens. There were TWO second rounders in the deal, not one. The second one was tossed in to pay the freight of Moore AND the 50% retention.

The 2nd was to take on the Moore contract, which seems to be the universal consensus based on prior trades.

The next second was to get Lindholm. Bruins were able to bargain for retention by putting in a fair offer for Lindholm.

Vaak and a low first does not get you Lindholm.

Vaak, a low first, and a late pick does not get you Lindholm.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Well, how will the offense fair in the playoffs? Depends on the PP. Effectiveness and opportunity. Maybe…maybe…a goal or two 5x5, probably from L1or L3 and then hopefully a couple on the PP.

Goaltending and defense from there.

That’s a lot to ask. Hampus will help, but an even more important advantageous addition would be changing the mindset concerning 3rd period leads. We’ve seen them sit on them and fail often. Not only do they need an intervention to understand they must work on truly inept clearing and poor end of stick puck battling, but mostly come to the realization that creating transition offense, finishing, and adding on is their best defense. At worst, the other team can’t score from their own end.

Instead we see poor, weak, clears out to center ice and the onslaught for 20 mins continues. Or simple clears into the bench resulting in faceoffs in our own zone.

I don’t have much faith we’ll address this because it’s embarrassing…you would need a coach to stand up and tell them the uncomfortable truth that they are piss poor at simple aspects of the game. A shame, because with a different mindset change and commitment, you would figure those simple problems could be simply eliminated. Just fixing these fundamental problems would go a long way towards giving them an actual outside shot at a run.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Are you saying Clifton is a better forward? Are you saying the Carolina GM doesn’t know what he’s doing? Domi would’ve been a great depth move/rental seeing that Boston only has one top 6 center and hope that Debrusk doesn’t pull a disappearing act. Just guessing, Domi didn’t want to be in Cbus & he seems entitled cause he comes from NHL royalty, Tie Domi. But I bet he’s gonna be motivated to prove himself & get a new contract. The kind of player you want to rent. Kinda like Evander Kane, guy is on a mission. Just have to wait and see how he does in Carolina. But it would’ve been a great depth move with nothing to lose but a minor prospect.

Why isn't he on a mission in Columbus? Very confusing.

I just don't see a fit for a guy that plays no defense on this Bruins bottom six. The Bruins are going to have to win with their D. Carolina has a lot more dynamic offense that can take a flyer on Domi.

Reactions: PB37

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well, how will the offense fair in the playoffs? Depends on the PP. Effectiveness and opportunity. Maybe…maybe…a goal or two 5x5, probably from L1or L3 and then hopefully a couple on the PP.

Goaltending and defense from there.

That’s a lot to ask. Hampus will help, but an even more important advantageous addition would be changing the mindset concerning 3rd period leads. We’ve seen them sit on them and fail often. Not only do they need an intervention to understand they must work on truly inept clearing and poor end of stick puck battling, but mostly come to the realization that creating transition offense, finishing, and adding on is their best defense. At worst, the other team can’t score from their own end.

Instead we see poor, weak, clears out to center ice and the onslaught for 20 mins continues. Or simple clears into the bench resulting in faceoffs in our own zone.

I don’t have much faith we’ll address this because it’s embarrassing…you would need a coach to stand up and tell them the uncomfortable truth that they are piss poor at simple aspects of the game. A shame, because with a different mindset change and commitment, you would figure those simple problems could be simply eliminated. Just fixing these fundamental problems would go a long way towards giving them an actual outside shot at a run.

So your theory is that the Bruins best performer in the playoffs by PPG is going to be on a line that can't score?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Makes sense, and you're right about the mantra about ''no rentals." Every year though teams use rentals for the playoffs, trick is to find the right ones. Lindholm was a great trade, just wish we could've gotten Middleton and Deslauriers, that would've stacked this team up with some hefty muscle.

Deslauriers is one I wish we could have done. I would have thrown another 3rd on the pile for him and thrown them Blidh rather than lose him on waivers.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
The 2nd was to take on the Moore contract, which seems to be the universal consensus based on prior trades.

The next second was to get Lindholm. Bruins were able to bargain for retention by putting in a fair offer for Lindholm.

Vaak and a low first does not get you Lindholm.

Vaak, a low first, and a late pick does not get you Lindholm.

Right so we are in agreement that Vaak 1st and a 2nd is fair value for Lindholm. Okay. I never once said Vaak a 1st and a late round pick for Lindholm. 1st, 2nd, Vakk...fair value and a good deal.

My issue is with the other second round pick. Why give that up? You could have given a lesser pick for them to take Moore. The reason why it was a 2nd was because of Moore AND the 50% retention. Teams don't just retain 50% of a contract out of the goodness of their hearts

Reactions: The don godfather

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Right so we are in agreement that Vaak 1st and a 2nd is fair value for Lindholm. Okay. I never once said Vaak a 1st and a late round pick for Lindholm. 1st, 2nd, Vakk...fair value and a good deal.

My issue is with the other second round pick. Why give that up? You could have given a lesser pick for them to take Moore. The reason why it was a 2nd was because of Moore AND the 50% retention. Teams don't just retain 50% of a contract out of the goodness of their hearts
This is what you said:
the deal should have been Lindholm for Vaak, Moore, 1st and a 2nd.
If the deal was Lindholm for Moore Vaak a 1st a 2nd and a 5th without any money retained the Ducks still make the trade. And thats the point.

To take Moore, that required the 2nd, in your proposals. So that would leave Lindholm for just Vaak and a 1st in your first proposal and Vaak, a 1st, and a late pick in your next proposal. Neither of which would have happened.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
You can't waive Foligno, has a NMC clause. So you are going to trade a 4th + Lazar/Nosek for Brassard to play on the 4th line with Foligno and who you didn't waive?
Look I'm not the gm but I'm sure donny could have added some center insurance. We weak down there unless haula becomes all Craig janney and becomes a suberb 2nd c I'll eat crow. I hope he does and he helps big time for playoff run. So far he's been looking good.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

I just don't see a fit for a guy that plays no defense on this Bruins bottom six. The Bruins are going to have to win with their D. Carolina has a lot more dynamic offense that can take a flyer on Domi.
Yep our play of style is now trap solid breakouts kill the clock suffocating defense with suberb goaltending. No other way. It has worked for many teams before and the old devils teams of lemaire played this way with great success. Hope we can do the same.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yep our play of style is now trap solid breakouts kill the clock suffocating defense with suberb goaltending. No other way. It has worked for many teams before and the old devils teams of lemaire played this way with great success. Hope we can do the same.
The Bruins don't play the trap.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Time to learn. How we gonna play the leafs or avalanche panthers style? Will get smoked.

By being aggressive defending the red and blue line and if we fail collapse around the net. Its what has lead the the Bruins being #1 in the league (and not really close) at preventing high danger shots. Ullmark was bad early on in the season and its screw up their overall goals allowed numbers... but the best defensive team in hockey just added a 6'4" guy who is excellent at both preventing zone entries AND defending around his net.

Reactions: The don godfather

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I quoted stuff trying not to repeat what others expressed here. there's ever much more, like... Chara, Krejci, Rask, Pastrnak, Senyshyn, DeBrusk, free agents not wanting to come here, they got Future-Captain Mackachuck a new toy and wrapped up a chunk of coal in pretty paper for the current captain, there are culture issues, there are coaching issues, there are definitely management issues.

What was this rambling?

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
This is what you said:

To take Moore, that required the 2nd, in your proposals. So that would leave Lindholm for just Vaak and a 1st in your first proposal and Vaak, a 1st, and a late pick in your next proposal. Neither of which would have happened.

Correct. But in none of those proposals did I ever say Vaak and a 1st for Lindholm. I always included one 2nd rounder for each deal. You are discounting the fact that it wasn't just Moore that cost the additional 2nd rounder. It was taking 50% back as well. So in the first deal I included a 2nd and Moore because the Ducks weren't taking back any salary.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
The clutch & grab era was finished 2decades ago.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019

He obviously hates it over there. Just like every other player that played for Cbus. Look, I’m not saying he makes great choices, but even he must know that he can rehabilitate his image to get a better contract. Dynamic offense, which Bs have as well, has nothing to do with it. He’d be a rental. He doesn’t fit? Guess what, he sits. Nothing to lose.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He obviously hates it over there. Just like every other player that played for Cbus. Look, I’m not saying he makes great choices, but even he must know that he can rehabilitate his image to get a better contract. Dynamic offense, which Bs have as well, has nothing to do with it. He’d be a rental. He doesn’t fit? Guess what, he sits. Nothing to lose.

Except for the player you had to waive to fit him on the roster, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad