Votes: 23 8.8%
  • D

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • F

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If Sweengenius does trade JDB in the offseason, I suspect it'll be for a much lower return than any of us expect. Punting his problems forward (and wasting assets to get rid of his mistakes) is a trademark of DS and of this management group in general. As someone else said yesterday "pick a lane Donnie."
Saturday night the excitement of the Lindholm trade and all that it seemed to set up was stifled on Monday with the reality that Donnie didn't have the guts to do what NEEDED to be done. Maybe he waited too long and waited for prices to come down, but other GMs once again got the deals done that they set out to make.
Others here will say what a remarkable job he's done overall in his tenure here. But, that's countered with the argument that if not for the core that he inherited, Sweeney would've been yet just another mediocre GM in NHL lore. The most frustrating part of
the TDL this year is that once again, DS drove up to the point of making a significant upgrade to the overall team simply to come up short, AGAIN! He couldn't get Rakell for what he wanted to give up (I don't blame him for that) but, not having a "Plan B" yet again just shows that 2015 mindset is alive and well on Causeway St.
I agree there was some promise saturday night and the we went back to Sweeney as usual life. Even a Max Domi move would have been something especially if you kept DeBrusk that would give you depth for the playoffs and offseason moves would be interesting if DeBrusk has a good playoff.................I believe what Carolina paid for Domi the Bruins should have been in on him, am I missing something.......

Reactions: quietbruinfan

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Lindholm was not going to be moved for only Vaak, a low first and a late round pick. Ducks wanted more, Bruins gave more, and got bargaining power in the process to ask for retention.

I agree with that which is why the deal should have been Lindholm for Vaak, Moore, 1st and a 2nd.

Why add in the 50% and Moore at the cost of an additional 2nd if you weren't going to use the savings? Sweeney can still get the best player, get a good extension and piss away a 2nd rounder for no reason. You could have chosen either Moore or the 50% and the cost going out would have been less. My issue has always been that additional 2nd round pick that was added for no reason other than to save money and dump Moore. You could have had them choose one or the other and only paid a late round pick to do so.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Sweengenius does trade JDB in the offseason, I suspect it'll be for a much lower return than any of us expect. Punting his problems forward (and wasting assets to get rid of his mistakes) is a trademark of DS and of this management group in general. As someone else said yesterday "pick a lane Donnie."
Saturday night the excitement of the Lindholm trade and all that it seemed to set up was stifled on Monday with the reality that Donnie didn't have the guts to do what NEEDED to be done. Maybe he waited too long and waited for prices to come down, but other GMs once again got the deals done that they set out to make.
Others here will say what a remarkable job he's done overall in his tenure here. But, that's countered with the argument that if not for the core that he inherited, Sweeney would've been yet just another mediocre GM in NHL lore. The most frustrating part of
the TDL this year is that once again, DS drove up to the point of making a significant upgrade to the overall team simply to come up short, AGAIN! He couldn't get Rakell for what he wanted to give up (I don't blame him for that) but, not having a "Plan B" yet again just shows that 2015 mindset is alive and well on Causeway St.

I think Sweeney has done a very good job of re-building the defense and goaltending while the team has still been contending. Can you give him credit for that, at least?

Were there trades that happened on TDL that you wish he made, or do you wish that he traded for guys that were not traded without knowing the cost?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I agree with that which is why the deal should have been Lindholm for Vaak, a 1st and a 2nd.

Why add in the 50% and Moore at the cost of an additional 2nd if you weren't going to use the savings? Sweeney can still get the best player, get a good extension and piss away a 2nd rounder for no reason. You could have chosen either Moore or the 50% and the cost going out would have been less. My issue has always been that additional 2nd round pick that was added for no reason other than to save money and dump Moore. You could have had them choose one or the other and only paid a late round pick to do so.

It wasn't that he 'wasn't going to use the savings.' It's that he didn't end up getting a deal done. He had to have that savings available if something had panned out. WIthout it he isn't even making offers.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I agree there was some promise saturday night and the we went back to Sweeney as usual life. Even a Max Domi move would have been something especially if you kept DeBrusk that would give you depth for the playoffs and offseason moves would be interesting if DeBrusk has a good playoff.................I believe what Carolina paid for Domi the Bruins should have been in on him, am I missing something.......

Connor Clifton has more goals than Max Domi in their last 35 games.

Clifton has 2.

And Domi plays no defense. Is Domi what Hall and Pasta need? A guy who passes well, but plays no defense and doesn't really put the puck in the net? You can point to Domi's one good year... but then can't I point to Haula's one good year and say Haula does it with better defense and without being a shit bag?

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
It wasn't that he 'wasn't going to use the savings.' It's that he didn't end up getting a deal done. He had to have that savings available if something had panned out. WIthout it he isn't even making offers.

That's even worse. It shows piss poor planning. If you're asking for 50% retention you need to have a plan to use it. Can't burn a 2nd rounder without a set plan. But its Sweeney so its not surprising.

Should have just dumped Moore instead of the retention.

False Start

May 8, 2018
That's even worse. It shows piss poor planning. If you're asking for 50% retention you need to have a plan to use it. Can't burn a 2nd rounder without a set plan. But its Sweeney so its not surprising.

Yes but we have 2.9 million off the books for next year.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

What? It just shows that some other team ended up making an offer the seller liked better. You seem to just want to hate Sweeney no matter what happens or what he does. If he HAD used the savings and overspent on a guy like Rakell or Copp (look at the returns they got) you would have been all over him for getting fleeced.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

So your answer would have been to wait around on Lindholm until you could figure out another deal and then risk losing out on Lindholm? Thats how we end up ending Monday with being the Rangers and having had given up a conditional 1st and a 2nd for Copp. Or being the Blues and ending up with Leddy. Sounds like a bad plan to me.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
So your answer would have been to wait around on Lindholm until you could figure out another deal and then risk losing out on Lindholm? Thats how we end up ending Monday with being the Rangers and having had given up a conditional 1st and a 2nd for Copp. Or being the Blues and ending up with Leddy. Sounds like a bad plan to me.

Why would the Bruins have had to wait if the Ducks offered to take 50% retention for this year? I'm pretty sure it would have lowered the return had the Bruins just said we'll take on the entire deal for this season and you can take Moore and we won't give up an additional 2nd.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
What? It just shows that some other team ended up making an offer the seller liked better. You seem to just want to hate Sweeney no matter what happens or what he does. If he HAD used the savings and overspent on a guy like Rakell or Copp (look at the returns they got) you would have been all over him for getting fleeced.

Negative. I like the player. I feel like there should have been a plan to use the 50% retained by Anaheim this year if you're going to pay extra to have them retain the money. What does that have anything to do with me not liking "Sweenius"? Its a wasted asset. Clearly the compensation Boston sent would be altered if the Bruins chose to take on the entire contract.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Ok I know I'm gonna get trashed but a guy like brassard for a 4th was a no brainer come playoff time was good insurance. Costed nothing. I even thought picking up a turris on waivers wouldn't be such a idea. El cheapo insurance deals thats all. Keep haula in but any problems at least you have something. Now all the pressure is on haula and stud. Cheering for them huge! Let's go !

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Curious how well how they run around in the offensive zone will translate in the playoffs when teams tighten up and get more willing to get in front of shots.

Consider the Bruins have 27 goals from defensemen.

Makar/Toews have 34

Production is generally lower in the playoffs. But I don't think Colorado will have much trouble scoring, barring the possible hot goalie.

Last season in the 2nd round loss to Vegas, Makar was the leading for scorer for the Avs. And Toews may have been their best player.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Look, I wish Sweeney grabbed Horvat or Larkin or whatever, too. I wish he got McDavid and baby Jesus, too. But they were not traded. Bashing Sweeney for not Jedi-mind tricking the other GMs into trading them without knowing the price to get them screams having an agenda.

Moving a signed DeBrusk for an unsigned Rakell made no sense. They are the same level of player. You want to trade DeBrusk because he doesn't want to be here, but Rakell is the one that was uninterested in signing.

Max Domi is one of the worst defensive players in hockey and has not shown to be any better than Haula offensively and certainly not in a way that moves the needle. He was not the answer between Hall and Pasta.

Copp cost 2nd and a pick that would turn into a 1st if they won two rounds. For a rental. Do you really want no picks in the first two rounds for the next two years to have Copp on the team? Or worse, do you want to have no assets to offer in the summer when some more long term center options DO become available?

Sweeney has re-build the D and left it in an amazing position for the next 5+ seasons. Between that and Swayman, they have built from the net out all under Sweeney's watch. YES they have long term problems at C. But, the answers to that were not around this trade deadline. They just were not.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ok I know I'm gonna get trashed but a guy like brassard for a 4th was a no brainer come playoff time was good insurance. Costed nothing. I even thought picking up a turris on waivers wouldn't be such a idea. El cheapo insurance deals thats all. Keep haula in but any problems at least you have something. Now all the pressure is on haula and stud. Cheering for them huge! Let's go !

So who do you waive and lose on waivers to put Brassard on the roster?

Reactions: Gee Wally

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Negative. I like the player. I feel like there should have been a plan to use the 50% retained by Anaheim this year if you're going to pay extra to have them retain the money. What does that have anything to do with me not liking "Sweenius"? Its a wasted asset. Clearly the compensation Boston sent would be altered if the Bruins chose to take on the entire contract.

I guess the problem is you are assuming that anything a GM wants to do just happens, as if there are not other teams bidding for the same players. Not getting a deal done is not the same as not doing anything, or wasting cap space. There was a plan and offers on the table, but it takes two to tango. I find it hard to blame Sweeney on this one. He's done several things that I don't like, but I'd like to be fair to the guy, too.

Anyway, Moore needed to go for next season if for no other reason.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I agree with that which is why the deal should have been Lindholm for Vaak, Moore, 1st and a 2nd.

Again, Vaak plus a low first rounder does not get you Lindholm.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Why would the Bruins have had to wait if the Ducks offered to take 50% retention for this year? I'm pretty sure it would have lowered the return had the Bruins just said we'll take on the entire deal for this season and you can take Moore and we won't give up an additional 2nd.

1) Them taking Moore costing an extra 2nd is just something the hive mind decided. We have no idea how the back and forth went.
2) Them giving up Moore kept them able to be in the game IN CASE someone they wanted shook loose AND it gave them flexibility for next season, as well when they are going to try to look for a center again AND have to bring back Bergeron. Nothing shook loose that moved the needle, but at least they had a chance. They still have the saved cap space to now be able to make a move at the draft when these other centers that maybe could be available would be put back on the market.

Reactions: Dr Hook

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Again, Vaak plus a low first rounder does not get you Lindholm.

Again, who is saying that the deal was Vaak and a low 1st when TWO 2nd rounders were involved? I mean you can keep parroting this all you want it doesn't mean that its correct. We have a difference of opinion and at the end of the day it doesn't matter since Sweeney gave up 2 2nd rounders and had the Ducks retain 50% cap hit this year for....nothing

If the deal was Lindholm for Moore Vaak a 1st a 2nd and a 5th without any money retained the Ducks still make the trade. And thats the point.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Babajingo

If the Bruins didn't trade for him STL would have and STL would have re-signed him.
Ok, so the trade&sign was for the future. Im ok with that. I like him. Then why not shop around guys like Clifton, Haula, Reilly, Smith, ... Free up some cap space. I imagine Clifton and Reilly would've gotten something.

If Donny thinks that Hampus would put you over the top of TB, FLa and Car then that's delusional.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Lost access to an old account but wanted to post this, before Lindholm and Brown play a minute for this team, following the game against Montreal as of January first this is the per 82 game point rate for your Boston Bruins, you're telling me that this lineup with a new actual No.2 Dman can't go far in the Playoffs? The only question mark on this team is/will be the fact that neither Ullmark or Swayman have played a playoff game.

Id love to see this compared against the 2011/2013/2019 teams...

1648050399900.png

Reactions: PB37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad