Rate Dubas' Deadline

Rate the deadline

• Total voters

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Does this team look like they respect the front office?

After the 3 most important young players took them to the woodshed in contract negotiations and the entire team quits on one coach and looks like it's tuning out Keefe already? That's not even getting into Matthew's this off-season and Dubas being blindsided by his little "episode"

He's done nothing to any of these guys and their behaving like it

Don't even get me started on Barrie, he should have been shipped out of town long ago but were still persevering with his overrated ass and "trying to make it work" like he hasn't been exposed playing with us

Adam Wylde brought up a great point in the SDP today - we all overlooked the fact that Auston Matthews had his incident with the security guard in the summer, but didnt bother telling Dubas about it until the day it literally broke all over Twitter.

The GM of the team, who has gone out on a limb to support the young core - and they dont respect him enough to give him a headsup that shit is about to hit the fan?

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
I would give him a D rating. I don't see this team doing anything in the post season so keeping Barrie is a mistake. He doesn't fit what this team needs & isn't coming back next year. Dubas should have dealt him for the best package available.

At least he didn't blow any future assets to prop up this sorry excuse of a team.

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I would give him a D rating. I don't see this team team doing anything in the post season so keeping Barrie is a mistake. He doesn't fit what this team needs & isn't coming back next year. Dubas should have dealt him for the best package available.

At least he didn't blow any future assets to prop up this sorry excuse of a team.
Came to say this. Glad you did because I’m lazy

Reactions: Chompchompr

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I love the 5th move. Cash with no cap implications for a free draft pick? I was amazed people were complaining about that, that’s the exact sort of smart moves we want our GM making.

Rosen wasn’t much but was clearly a positive move to turn Hutch into something.

I’m neutral on Malgin at this point.

The other minor deals I don’t know the players enough to have an opinion.

Barrie is a weird one but I’m willing to give a flyer on the situation not knowing what’s happening or been discussed in behind the scenes.

Dunno, Dubas was fine as far as I’m concerned. Doing little is much better than overreacting.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I'm not privy to his conversations with other GM's. What was out there? How can i rate his performance? Do you know something we don't?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't, I sell because I know we need assets for that top 4 RD next season

What I also don't do is rely on either the team having a "come to jesus" moment and pulling their heads out of their butts or thinking this current level of play gets them in the playoffs

This team is an 18 wheeler not a fairytale
Look at the timeline of this team.
Year 1 Babcock. We were bottom feeders, we knew, that was the goal. Played hard though, no real work ethic issue or giant embarrassments. We were actually kind of respectable for being so bad. No incidents.

Year 2. Enter the young guys. Everything going ok. Excited to make the playoffs, decent showing against a strong Capital team. No incidents.

Year 3. Progression. Went through the season. This would be the last year of Bozak/JVR/Komarov/etc. Lost a tough one to Boston. Incident coming. Babcock to meet with Matthews in Arizona.

Year 4. Change. JT in, new GM, Nylander 2 month hold out. Started off decent, by January we are seeing a .500 team. Some incidents creeping up. Compete and other fun words being used. This would be the last year if Kadri/Gardiner. Another loss to Boston round 1. Big contract for Matthews incoming.

Year 5. Big contract for Marner incoming. Summer incident incoming. Compete and quit on coach happening. New coach. Some life comes back, the right back to compete issues. Now maturity and play when you want surfaces. New coach says same as old coach. Embarrassing times. Immature. Questions about so much money up front and team balance. New year, 5 reg wins in last how many? Effort. Muzzin calls out compete and easy games. Zamboni.

Why is this collection trending backwards.
Dubas believes but should be very worried.
I don’t believe the come to Jesus moment either.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I was worried he was going to give up more assets for more weak players, but he did bring in the back up and Clifford which will help them get a couple of home playoff gates.
Looking the cap situation, the current roster, the farm system and the upcoming draft he may have run into a wall.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
In the sense that he didn't do jack to help the big team , its an F

In the sense he didn't do anything stupid like trade away blue chippers or 1st round picks, he get an A.

I personally don't think this team deserves to be upgraded this year, they have shown that they are fundamentally not ready or mature enough to make a long playoff run, why waste assets on this current version of the Leafs?

He gets a C.

Reactions: qqaz

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This is exactly what I am saying. Watch closely. Take names. Make hard trades.

But Barrie is either going to fkck himself, or play his way to a great contract. Either way, all eyes will be on him. He HAS to perform. Otherwise, no one will want him and he can kiss his UFA payday goodbye. You don't think that will be a huge motivation? I think he was playing to get traded after meeting Bobbcook.

Here's the other thing. If the team is tuning out Keefe, then it's not a fixable team ever, and ABSOLUTELY nothing they did would have mattered. So no point in being upset about missing a 3rd round pick instead of trying for the playoffs.

Totally disagree, he's just done something to these guys. A HUGE thing. He said "Fckk you, I don't believe in you 1 bit, so I'm not trading to give you help AND a reason if you fail. Hard on fans, but the smartest move overall.

Well said. You can see it in the body language as well. From day 1 he's believed in this core, that they're winners and can carry the team. You can see the weight of disappointment, and the potential implications.

No bailouts, no letting them off the hook with a defeatist sell off.

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
Good job by him not overreacting and doing something stupid. Barrie stays for depth since we have injuries on defense, that's fine. I liked his moves for Clifford and Campbell, as well as moving out Hutch. Didn't like him waiving timoshov, I thought he showed some promise and deserved more of a chance. Did we even need Malgin? I guess we'll see.

Anyways, I agree with whoever said that this group doesn't deserve help. Let them figure it out. Winning a round of playoffs is how they have to respond after losing to a zamboni driver.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Good job by him not overreacting and doing something stupid. Barrie stays for depth since we have injuries on defense, that's fine. I liked his moves for Clifford and Campbell, as well as moving out Hutch. Didn't like him waiving timoshov, I thought he showed some promise and deserved more of a chance. Did we even need Malgin? I guess we'll see.

Anyways, I agree with whoever said that this group doesn't deserve help. Let them figure it out. Winning a round of playoffs is how they have to respond after losing to a zamboni driver.
Seen that posted before.
Shouldn't not 'doing something stupid' be the minimum expectation, not something to be celebrated?

TheKnucklePuck

Feb 26, 2018
The moves he made were ...ok.
It's the moves he didn't make that haunt me.

D+

Edit: word

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I love the 5th move. Cash with no cap implications for a free draft pick? I was amazed people were complaining about that, that’s the exact sort of smart moves we want our GM making.

Rosen wasn’t much but was clearly a positive move to turn Hutch into something.

I’m neutral on Malgin at this point.

The other minor deals I don’t know the players enough to have an opinion.

Barrie is a weird one but I’m willing to give a flyer on the situation not knowing what’s happening or been discussed in behind the scenes.

Dunno, Dubas was fine as far as I’m concerned. Doing little is much better than overreacting.

I suppose the bar has been set rather low now.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How do you know they aren't winning anything this year? It might be true but how do you know? We have barely played maybe a game or two as a fully healthy team this entire season. One guy comes back and another goes.

Dermott and Hyman missed the start of the year. Marner got injured, Tavares got injured (not at the same time), Mikheyev gone for the year, Johnsson gone for the year, Rielly injury, Ceci injury.

If this season has taught us anything, it's that this team is unpredictable.

This team is not easy to beat in the playoffs no matter how they have played right now. We're not like Tampa who played like world beaters and then got swept in the playoffs. We just don't do that. You can criticize their ability to win in pressure situations and that is valid until they win a do or die game but they don't just mail it in, in the playoffs.

Tampa traded a god damn 1st round pick for BARCLAY GOODROW. You want him to make a move like that?
Goodrow is a d*man good hockey player. A playoff type guy who gets it done when it counts. Tampa is smart they realize why they went down 4 straight to Columbus. and they don't want to get beat by neutral zone trap again this year. In fact that trade made it much harder for us to advance beyond 1st round too. As soon as I saw that trade it would have made me pull the switch with barrie even faster.

The ONLY chance we have with a FULL roster is to play Tampa. Then beat Flyers. Than beat Pittsburgh. Than beat Edmonton/Colorado. We have to HOPE we play teams without the necessary personnel to implement the big man neutral zone trap game on us.

Washington, Boston, Columbus and Canes will take us out very easily. So ONLY hope is to avoid those teams. But Tampa knows why they went out in 4 last year so they tried to make moves to combat this issue.

Boston is focused on taking out Washington in conference finals hence move for Nick. Nick will pound out Wilson again quick. It would also help them against Vegas. Nick v Reaves I can't wait to see it. then Chara v Reaves. Will Reaves prove to be top dog???? He may. But it will be his toughest test yet.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm pretty disappointed that Dubas didn't land a big fish RHD. But I don't blame him, at all. The team hasn't deserved reinforcements, and you can only make trades when the other team agrees, too.

For all I know, the price on Dumba, Severson, Manson and those guys was silly high. So no move is better than an overpay.

And he did manage to get some blood from a stone. Hutch and cap space became D depth and a late pick. That's great. And our early trades that brought Campbell, Clifford, and Malgin were very astute.

C is my grade. Nothing good, but can't complain or cast blame.

member 300185

Here it is in simplest forms. Did the leafs need improving? The answer is clearly yes.

Did Dubas improve the leafs? The answer is no.

When the hillbilly looked at his neighbours dog and said "That dog don't hunt". The neighbour hillbilly raised a gun and shot the dog.

Either Dubas can fix the team or he can't. Its clear he can't. He has cash strapped this team for years with a crybaby, self entitled core. I used to like Marner. Now I see his true colours and that of his families.

There is only one thing wrong with the leafs and it is not talent. Its laziness.

member 300185

I would trade Matthews, Marner and Nylander for McDavid right now and not even blink once. McDavid works his tale off every shift and his mates see that and feel they must do the same. The exact opposite is with the leafs with laziness. One player sees those 3 slacking off and they feel they can slack off.

Chungo2

Apr 22, 2018
Barrie has been terrible. If the reason for not trading Barrie is that the front office might consider re-signing him then I will move from giving Dubas an F to being completely on side the fire Dubas side of things. Barrie has not only been a trainwreck at ES, he has also been terrible on the PP.

People will say "That's not true - that is just from when he was on the terrible PP2 under Babcock." Wrong - the PP2 was terrible at the start of the year because Barrie was on it.

Before the coaching change - when Barrie was on the PP2 - the team scored 55% more on the PP when Barrie was not on the ice.
Since the coaching change - when Barrie is on the PP1 - the team scores 59% more on the PP when Barrie is not the ice. He is simply terrible and the PP1 does much better (like is twice as productive) when anyone except Barrie is QBing it. The PP2 completely turned around when Barrie was moved off it. Completely amazing that the team does astronomically better on the PP when the guy who always just mindlessly shoots the puck into opposing players legs resulting in a turnover every time he touches the puck isn't on the ice.

If he is too gutless to do his job then the leadership problem is not just on the ice - but starts with Dubas.

If he doesn't know what the problem is by now then he is the main problem.

Barrie is not a bad defensemen: Rational thought would say he is this year and he has hit his floor. Probably not going to get what we wanted for him, especially after that hit on Saturday. See Nylander.

As for being gutless to sell: Any team, player or coach would say that if you can make the playoffs, you have a shot. Rielly being out and injuries have hurt us, but that’s an excuse as every team has injuries. Giving up on your players sends a strong message and a poor culture.

He’s the problem: Here is a list of corrective actions taken this year alone.
Babcock firing
Gave Hutch a legitimate chance
Sent Hutch on waivers after chance
Got a reliable goalie
Got a physical player

This team was a contender (kind of) last year.

My 2 cents:
- A seasoned NHL coach may have been able to come in and get this team back into alignment. Keefe is experiencing growing pains, but you’re not going to fire him. No one in hockey front office or coaching is a prodigy.

- The team lost all their leaders in Marleau, Hainsey, etc. These kids/front office probably didn’t realize the importance and will either need to gain it or trade for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad