Rate Bruins management for the 2015 trade deadline

member 96824

Length of a post =/= accuracy.

Fans can't predict the cap and what market values of FA players will be is the correct statement.

GM's plan and know where the market stands, where revenues stand(therefore where the cap will be), and what the feel is on if the escalator is going in. Just because fans with no connection outside of what they read on their twitter feed are caught off guard by it doesn't mean GM's have no idea either

I'll let someone else with the time and energy have their fun if they want to disect that any further.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Length of a post =/= accuracy.

Fans can't predict the cap and what market values of FA players will be is the correct statement.

GM's plan and know where the market stands, where revenues stand(therefore where the cap will be), and what the feel is on if the escalator is going in. Just because fans with no connection outside of what they read on their twitter feed are caught off guard by it doesn't mean GM's have no idea either

I'll let someone else with the time and energy have their fun if they want to disect that any further.

Most of what I mentioned I've read in posts from Dom. So there's that...

Chia's quote on the day he had to move him:

“I see where Johnny’s market’s going, and all the strength to him,” Chiarelli said. “He’s earned it. He battles. He’s a good player, and he’s earned it.”

There's an implication there that the market for Boychuk evolved (based on his play and contracts being given out) and Chia started to get the full picture in that offseason. Before that offseason, there was still some reason to be hopeful that a Boychuk might not fetch the 6m Chia expects him to now. So no, I don't think Chia could be sure 2 years back (the Seids extension) that Boychuk was going to be a 6m dollar man. And regardless of what you think, when a cap team is faced between 3-5m wiggle room or no wiggle room, it's all the difference in the world. We got the low end, and we paid for it.

Last edited:

member 96824

No it's not, its a few points Dom made thrown into a food processor.

I know that because I've talked to Dom about this very stuff, and he, as a journalist and not a GM, can figure out roughly where the cap will be and through his sources if the NHLPA plans on voting in the escalator or not.

Yet the idea here is that a GM, who's very job completely depends on is flying blind through the night?

That doesn't seem very logical does it?

That's my last point there

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
No it's not, its a few points Dom made thrown into a food processor.

I know that because I've talked to Dom about this very stuff, and he, as a journalist and not a GM, can figure out roughly where the cap will be and through his sources if the NHLPA plans on voting in the escalator or not.

Yet the idea here is that a GM, who's very job completely depends on is flying blind through the night?

That doesn't seem very logical does it?

That's my last point there

I'm arguing the exact opposite.

I'm saying he has a plan, and that the best he can do is plan for several scenarios. What ultimately transpired was the worst case of all of them: Not winning the cup in spite of a career Boychuk year (which makes him trend more to that 6m figure), Iggy hitting all his bonus money, and a far smaller cap increase. All this coupled with contracts like the Orpik one setting the tone for other players. Given all that, Chia found himself in one of several possible scenarios, and all this despite doing a wonderful job getting Krug/Smith for cheap.

If there's anything factually incorrect in there, please feel free to correct me. I won't be offended.

Brian, how close in millions of dollars do you figure a GM can project out on the cap beyond one full season? Because if we agree that their odds of being bang on 24 months out are probably not great (given the economics and PA dynamics), then it's possible that in 2013 when he extended Seids, he still felt he had a shot to keep Boychuk too. Agreed? I'm simply saying that he had enough go wrong to them submarine that plan. And I'm merely speculating, I have no source (obviously).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`ll have a better opinion on the deadline aquisitions when I actually watch em play in a Bruins uni

Honestly, would have liked to have seen the fat trimmed but wondering out loud how many other GM`s would have even paid/offered for players like Soupy/Paille and maybe Quaider?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
This was a mediocre performance by Chiarelli and the FO.

Ironically, however, the result was might also be viewed, at the same time, as a disaster averted.

Why?

All of Chiarelli's top targets that he was willing to give up the most for, as noted in that Lebrun article, made very little sense. Vermette, Glencross, Cole, Flynn, Stewart.

Acquiring Vermette would have been a ridiculous move-- acquiring a rental at a very high price who addresses no obvious need on the Bruins. And yet, he seemed to be the #1 target. Very dumb.

Glencross an aging grinder who didn't want to come to Boston to begin with. Cole an aging grinder. Flynn. Who?

Only Stewart makes some sense as a rental; but the price we offered early -- Spooner and a 2nd-- was too high.

This was a mediocre result, but thank God someone tied Chiarelli's hands such that he didn't bid higher on Vermette.

Connolly is a nice acquisition, could have some upside as a top 6 forward. Talbot is essentially a replacement for Simon Gagne, to keep CJ happy. He'll be most notable on here for taking up spots in the lineup that Spooner and other youngsters should be getting. Just wait and see.

But I was most happy that we failed to execute on this broad range of aforementioned useless targets.

You could take it all two ways. On the one hand, that Chiarelli and Co were smart not to overpay for useless targets. On the other hand, we should be thankful that Chiarelli and his exec committee are ineffective at completing deals on the players they really wanted.

Last edited:

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
I think whenever you have a sellers market and you have players that you need to get rid of anyways, you should put them up and see what you can get for them. I am not just talking Campbell and Paille here either, I'm talking Seidenberg, Kelly and if he can't sign him Soderberg. Seidneberg would have been the best defenceman on the block and given what some of the others went for as rentals he would have brought back the most. Kelly and Soderberg probably would have brought back younger players with upside and you could possibly Campbell and Paille to get picks or prospects or both.

I don't think he really added to the team. he just brought in players that he really didn't need. Even Connolly doesn't project to be any better than a second line winger at best (Smith), but at least he is right handed. Talbot is just a fourth line guy at this stage in his career and we could have just kept one of the kids on the fourth. The only good thing was getting rid of Caron.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Wasn't that Doji guy booted in 2013 (and American for that matter)? He's got 2013 posts. I remember him posting. I actually don't recall reading any bannable stuff from him, but I can't say I followed him around much.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I'm sure Mike and I can learn to get along.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wasn't that Doji guy booted in 2013 (and American for that matter)? He's got 2013 posts. I remember him posting. I actually don't recall reading any bannable stuff from him, but I can't say I followed him around much.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I'm sure Mike and I can learn to get along.

bannable stuff goes 'invisible'.
Unles youre a Mod or Admin, you wont be able to see it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Just because you spelled it wrong on purpose doesn't mean you are throwing anyone off the trail.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Just because you spelled it wrong on purpose doesn't mean you are throwing anyone off the trail.

I gotta admit the suspicion is pretty amusing. Like I said he would have had to create a Canadian based account a full year before his banning.

I snuck a look at some of his old posts, he's a big Red Sox fan it seems. I haven't watched more than 2 innings of baseball in 3-4 years I'd think. Certainly you won't see me posting in the Sox or Pats threads (since I'm a fan of neither).

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Wasn't Dojji's (I got it right this time) big thing starting a pile of useless threads? Am I thinking of the right guy? Who was the guy who one day started something like 10 threads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad