Rate Bruins management for the 2015 trade deadline

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012
Gave them a 3.

Connolly and Talbot (with 50% retained) are really good minor moves for next season. We have Campbell and Paille coming off the books, so our fourth line of Talbot Ferlin XXX will no doubt be cheaper than this years, by at least a million I would imagine (camp Paille gagne). Connolly will be another pretty cheap guy that has the potential to be on a steal of a contract. I don't have a problem with either of these moves individually.

I would also imagine that this offseason, we will be somehow getting rid of Chris Kelly, another good way to save money.
Lucic-Krejci-Pasta
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Loui-Spooner-Connolly
Xxx-Talbot-Ferlin
That's a pretty solid group of forwards, smith/loui/Connolly can be interchanged. There are some speedy skill guys there, some physical guys, and some great two way players. You also have a good range of contracts as well. One big name that isn't on that roster is Carl Soderberg. I love the guy, but I don't see how we can keep him, Dougie, Connolly, Smith, Krug, etc.

That is my problem with this trade deadline. Chia seems to know that this team isn't going to make a cup run this year, so he set us up with small deals that will help next year by bringing in talbot and Connolly. In order for me to be happier with this deadline, I would've loved to see Chiarelli not half ass it. If you're going to start building for next year, don't keep a guy like Soderberg on the roster. Trade him for probably a really good pick. You had expensive rentals getting pretty damn good returns, and you don't trade a guy that will have a cap hit under 250k (prorated) that can play wing or center, is a big body, has skill, and is probably the odd man out. Just piss poor asset management and an unwillingness to make up his damn mind.

If you're going to do a job, do it right. No half measures, they never work. If Soderberg/Smith/Krug/Connolly aren't all on this roster next year, I'll be beyond pissed that we didn't get something for them while we could.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
1) Trade Seguin for a player you think improves your chances to win the Stanley Cup the next 2-3 years.

2) Sign a one-year deal that will hurt your cap space in year 2, but gives you a top line right winger.

3) Do not fill a hole in your top 4 on the back end at the deadline.

4) Do not replace top line right winger before year 2.

5) Trade top 4 d-man before the 2nd season.

6) Do not fill hole in your top 4 on the back end at the deadline.

You know, it is real hard to figure out if they have a plan or not.

They don't have one. They're reacting ( they always seems to be caught off-guard )instead of acting and that's why, when you look at the big picture, most of their moves seems out of line. We all know that the 4th line is a problem; that we need speed, energy and some fresh legs. So... PC trade for Talbot and add salary/term when it's exactly what we should avoid because of our cap space situation. More then that, the Bruins have a knack to clog all the roster spot who can be used to evaluate our young players. That's one of the many reasons on why I don't see PC taking important decisions regarding our core. In the last couples of years, PC proved to us that a his judgment is questionable.

Last edited:

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
1, terrible
Team has been getting worse year by year.

I understand people give Chiarelli a lot of credit for last year but if Iginla didn't come crawling back to Chiarelli they would of been in the same boat as this year. They didn't add a Defensemen that was needed to help make a legitimate run.

B's seem to think they are going to receive top line talent by giving up nothing but scraps, no wonder other teams are not willing to deal with them until the end when they also are looking to unload there leftovers.

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I so disagree Chiarelli is a very good GM. If given the chance PC will keep the Bruins a contender for many years . This is not the Bruins year that discession was made last year with The Ingila signing it did not work out but in two years time if PC is given the opportunity the Bruins will be a strong contender again

A strong contender for the first overall pick.

I won't list his terrible trades or lack of moves to improve the team, or even his terrible asset management, I will just say that it looks, from an outside perspective, that Neely and Jacobs have FINALLY seen through this charlatans game and he will soon be destroying a tier 3 midget team in Watson Lake NWT.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I dunno why people are screaming about these moves.

There were no difference makers so he got Kassian type prospect people wanted at RW and then tinkered with the bottom forwards.

Im the last guy to offer Chiarelli an extension for not doing all that much but I have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that these moves mean no more Gregory Campbell finally and the fourth line might chip in again like they did in 2013. (But remember that was just 2 years ago when Paille and GC looked great Talbot is old he could play well for us now but come next year look washed up like GC.)

He gOt a power forward that is young and a recent high pick and fixed his fourth line that is more than hes done the last few deadlines.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If people think he dealt Boychuk to make roon for these past "series of moves" I don't know what to say.

How are you guys letting him off the hook for his comments in October vs his comments now?

Went from a contender to win the Cup to "I think our team can make the play-offs?

Really?

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
If people think he dealt Boychuk to make roon for these past "series of moves" I don't know what to say.

How are you guys letting him off the hook for his comments in October vs his comments now?

Went from a contender to win the Cup to "I think our team can make the play-offs?

Really?
Yeah, his plan for "a series of moves" clearly failed miserably. It's pretty obvious this was not what he had in mind at all, and he adjusted the plan on the fly because he was surprised just how far from Cup contention this year's Bruins team really is.

Connolly isn't an Iginla replacement, he's an admission of failure and looking to the future becuase Chiarelli knows this year is a lost cause. I'm stunned that the likes of Fluto think this is Chiarelli "believing in his team", bringing in an unproven 22 year old with no playoff experience and not even attempting to fill the hole on D.

I don't have a problem with his trade deadline like some do because I have already lost all hope when it comes to Cup contention this year (so I couldn't careless whether we got a D-Man like Petry or not, that move will make zero difference for this year) and I don't think the Jacobs' wanted any part of selling while in a playoff spot (not sure Chiarelli has any incentive to sell either if he truly could be fired for missing playoffs). But Chiarelli's off-season and series of moves post-Boychuk is officially a colossal failure. People, myself included, were saying to see what the team looked like post deadline after the Boychuk deal and the results are in and they ain't pretty.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
now that I know Talbot is 50% retained next year; I feel a little better about things.

I still have to hold out hope that Chia plans to trade Kelly and keep Soda though; if he lets Soda walk for nothing, then I think that was a fail. His rights will get us maybe a 4th or 5th tops. at the d eadline, he would have got us a 1st, or maybe a 2nd and a prospect.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Eventhough I wanted more this trade deadline (Stewart), I think Chia did accomplish the minimum of what he said. Didn't alter the D since he thinks its good enough for now, thats why Boychuk was let go. Got a RW that he intended when he let Boychuk go, maybe not established and proven, but talented & with 12 goals while playing on lower lines. Got a energy guy for the fourth line that likes to play a heavy game. And Chia stayed true to his new direction statement. He also tied some loose ends with the Knight trade. So even though some might have envisioned Chia's intentions in a different light, Chia did exactly what he said he would do. Circumstances altered some things and maybe it took him longer than he wanted to, but he did it. ;)

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
The way I see it is the FO has learned from their mistakes and this deadline showed that they are now focused on being competitive and will make bigger moves (D, 4th line) in offseason.

Mistakes hopefully learned from:
Offering too many NTC/NMC
Locking up players too early
Overpaying 4th line players
Not getting enough in trade for Seguin

Doing well presently:
Not giving up too much for 2015 rentals
Trading for need (RW) who is cheap with logical upside.
Playing young guys finally
Willing to acknowledge that speed is a need
Better drafting

Bottom line this FO has won a Cup, regardless of puck luck etc. Since then, yes they should have done some things differently in hind sight. Say what you want, but they have consistently put our team in a position to win. That is doing their job.

Present day. At the deadline, THEY DID NOT PANIC! A great quality in leadership. They are not blowing up this team and nor should they. We are simply retooling. I am more than okay with that.

IMHO this FO deserves to "right the ship", learn from their mistakes and continue to lead the Bruins.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
They weren't horrible trades given what was out there and the asking prices however PC dug this hole very early in the season and has yet to get us out of it.

We were promised and told all year that these moves were the start of something much greater. We were lied to.

There clearly is no direction at all to this team at the moment. First they want to get more skilled and faster, then they want to get back to a big heavy game, and then we end up with waiving 2 youngsters, trading another and giving up 2 picks for another kid and a 4th line personality type guy with a bit of leadership and grit.

We failed to solve any issues surrounding our cap troubles, we still have at least 3 dead weight salaries on our roster, glaring hole in the top 4 on the back end, no solid backup goalie and all of our faith is in a 22 year old to solve our RW woes.

There is a reason why 85% of Bruin's fans on this board have voted they aren't happy with these moves. They weren't terrible moves if you ask me and I am glad we didn't sell the farm, but I fail to see the direction management is taking this team, how we have improved from last year and what I should be excited about going forward.

I feel like I was lied to all season long. The worst part is, I think management is clueless and has no idea of the direction they want to take this team either. I don't see a lot of people on the same page. If we don't make the playoffs or are ousted in the first round, will they turn on each other?

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
I gave the moves a 2.

I like the Connolly trade.

I like the Talbot trade, in a vacuum. Unfortunately, the move as a whole is down-graded because the Chiapet failed to rid us of either Kelly, Paille or Campbell.

I like the Phillips trade because at least he has a chance, however small, of maybe becoming somebody; Knight has no chance whatsoever of becoming anybody.

What really drives my overall grade downward is the sad fact that not one Defenceman was acquired to replace Miller.
I am praying to Lord Ganja that Joe Morrow, once fully healthy, will be given each & every microsecond of ice time currently being wasted on the weak-azz, clueless Bartkowski.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
They weren't horrible trades given what was out there and the asking prices however PC dug this hole very early in the season and has yet to get us out of it.

We were promised and told all year that these moves were the start of something much greater. We were lied to.

There clearly is no direction at all to this team at the moment. First they want to get more skilled and faster, then they want to get back to a big heavy game, and then we end up with waiving 2 youngsters, trading another and giving up 2 picks for another kid and a 4th line personality type guy with a bit of leadership and grit.

We failed to solve any issues surrounding our cap troubles, we still have at least 3 dead weight salaries on our roster, glaring hole in the top 4 on the back end, no solid backup goalie and all of our faith is in a 22 year old to solve our RW woes.

There is a reason why 85% of Bruin's fans on this board have voted they aren't happy with these moves. They weren't terrible moves if you ask me and I am glad we didn't sell the farm, but I fail to see the direction management is taking this team, how we have improved from last year and what I should be excited about going forward.

I feel like I was lied to all season long. The worst part is, I think management is clueless and has no idea of the direction they want to take this team either. I don't see a lot of people on the same page. If we don't make the playoffs or are ousted in the first round, will they turn on each other?

I think the direction is fairly clear now. Chia won. BigBadBruins are done, skilled & fast is the future. The lack of muscle and the lack of getting any yesterday is very telling. When was the last time the Bs went a whole season without an enforcer? A Thornton or Reaves type?

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I like that he gave up borderline nothing to slightly improve the team imediately while also adding some potential. I know talbot isnt an allstar but he has more then 300 games. Pretty sure two cups? If im not mistaken. He is an effective player. And they only taking on half his salary. What more could u ask for for a team that hit the salary cap wall after a couple president trophies cup finals and even a cup. Salary caps cause teams to go up and down. Its nature of the game chiarelli has done well. If this team dives off the map for the next couple years then ill sign on to the fire him bandwagon. But he has clearly managed this team pretty well. Any one who thinks other wise is crazy. Fire him and replace him with who? He will be rehired in a week of being fired. At least 20 other teams wish chiarelli was there GM and i bet like 24 teams wish claude was their coach. I still have faith in chia even though the bruins are only in 8th.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
nhl headlines

Canadiens add five quality players at low cost

and

Prices too high for Bruins GM Chiarelli at deadline

So how the hell were the prices too high for ................. chiarelli?
never seen this before.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
nhl headlines

and

never seen this before.

Obviously your willingness to pay is higher if you're the best team in the East. Also, quality players? Didn't they add like 3 4th liners?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Obviously your willingness to pay is higher if you're the best team in the East. Also, quality players? Didn't they add like 3 4th liners?

But the price for them was still cheap, not expensive.

I would have liked us to get petry and limit chara's and seids minutes, we need everything they got in the playoffs. Connolly was a bit overpayed so if chia could've made that trade a bit better he could've used that other 2nd+ something small to acquire Petry.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

when they added Weisse and Weaver last year nobody thought those moves would help them much but those guys killed the Bruins.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
now that I know Talbot is 50% retained next year; I feel a little better about things.

I still have to hold out hope that Chia plans to trade Kelly and keep Soda though; if he lets Soda walk for nothing, then I think that was a fail. His rights will get us maybe a 4th or 5th tops. at the d eadline, he would have got us a 1st, or maybe a 2nd and a prospect.

So its 50% for the remaining of his contract?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
The way I see it is the FO has learned from their mistakes and this deadline showed that they are now focused on being competitive and will make bigger moves (D, 4th line) in offseason.

Mistakes hopefully learned from:
Offering too many NTC/NMC
Locking up players too early
Overpaying 4th line players
Not getting enough in trade for Seguin

Doing well presently:
Not giving up too much for 2015 rentals
Trading for need (RW) who is cheap with logical upside.
Playing young guys finally
Willing to acknowledge that speed is a need
Better drafting

Bottom line this FO has won a Cup, regardless of puck luck etc. Since then, yes they should have done some things differently in hind sight. Say what you want, but they have consistently put our team in a position to win. That is doing their job.

Present day. At the deadline, THEY DID NOT PANIC! A great quality in leadership. They are not blowing up this team and nor should they. We are simply retooling. I am more than okay with that.

IMHO this FO deserves to "right the ship", learn from their mistakes and continue to lead the Bruins.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

this is the pro level, the big game, all the marbles, cream of the crop, top of the top....

thats why chia spent time with OTT as an assistant.... to learn.

not to come to bost (or any pro franchise) and learn by trial and error as the gm...

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
nhl headlines

and

never seen this before.

Mitchell, DSP, and Flynn are all bottom 6 players, all of which the Bruins have an abundance of. Petry was a good add for them, but I'm probably in the minority in this, I'm fine with how our defense currently is constructed. Oh, unless Montreal added a prospect, I only counted 4 players they added.

Going back to the moves Chiarelli made. I really liked the Connolly deal. He added a player that could help this team now and the future for a good price. If you told me that I had to pick between Connolly, Stewart, Jagr, or Cole to pay two 2nd rounders for, I go with Connolly every day of the week because he has that upside, youth, and speed over the other three.

I was not a fan of the Talbot deal and now I'm just so-so about it. It's an alright addition I guess but this team already has plentiful bottom 6 players (Paille, Campbell, Kelly, Ferlin) and adding one without trimming the fat is one of the issues I have with that deal. Another issue is that it most likely means one or both of Spooner or Ferlin may get the short-end of the stick once it's all said and done which would be a big mistake in my opinion because of how their play has elevated the whole team.

We can say that Chiarelli failed to fill our needs by not getting a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman(you know my stance on this already) at the trade deadline, but what top 6 forward was moved? I mean the only top 6 forward that was moved for argument purposes was Vermette, but he did not fit the criteria of what we needed for his high price. We needed a top 6 RW, not a 2nd/3rd line Center that plays a two-way game.

If we want to blame Chiarelli for not improving this team, we should look at his inability to see where the roster was heading during the offseason. He should have traded for a top 6 RW then.

Last edited:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
If the PA had used the escalator, we wouldn't be screaming "no plan" in here. One thing the GM has no control over, is the cap figure. The other thing he can't entirely predict is what other GM's will start to dish out, $ wise. When Orpik got that absolutely ridiculous contract from the Caps, the tides of the entire league changed with it. Remember these are the same owners who locked the players out because contracts were getting out of control. Now those same owners count themselves among guys willing to give a Brooks Orpik 5.5m AAV. The absurdity is that they knew full well he couldn't live up to the figure! Read this:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...brooks-orpik-he-wont-live-up-to-his-contract/

So no escalator and then that tidal shift in #3-#4D money changed EVERYTHING. Look at the other names he counts himself among with that figure:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/defenseman/

Well that gives agents all the incentive in the world to boost prices.

But Bruins fans, there's an alternate universe where Orpik doesn't get that stupid deal, he gets the 4m he should have. And in that fun to think about universe the PA uses the escalator (the way they did in 2012). That's a 5% boost in the wiggle room of a cap-strapped team (and we're not the only one). Remember it's also a cap-strapped team because Chia went all in the year before, something we hope he does every time the team is positioned to win a cup.

In this alternate version of the 2014-2015 Bruins, we've got ample money to keep either Iginla AND Boychuk. Iginla gets a 1 year 5m deal, Boychuk plays the season at his 3 and change, and then in 2015-2016 Iginla is gone, and Boychuk gets 5m (particularly if the PA uses the escalator back to back).

So yes, there's no plan for everything. But saying there's no plan at all is disingenuous. And the same thing will be true of this offseason. The players are mad about how much of their $ goes into escrow, and more of it will if they use the escalator. But if they don't, that's less money for us to get numerous new deals done. And that's just life in the salary cap NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad