Rate Brad Treliving's Trade Deadline

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm sure flames fans are divided on if he deserved a spot or not.

I for one thought he earned a spot over some of Hartley's darlings.

In the preseason he played well, but I think he only got 1 point. He was never bad, but he never really seized anything either. Sven has always been fragile upstairs with his confidence. I just hope like heck this doesn't burn us, that would be awful. He definitely has all the tools.

Aug 21, 2014
No, but it would have been a little better to see our team get better especially when we're still in the thick of a playoff hunt. It makes me think that Treliving has given up on the fact we could make the playoffs.

I understand a balance between future/now.. but come on guy, improve us. We lost a top LWer on the team, and our top prospect. Now Gio is out for the year..

Schlemko is not the answer.

Maybe im just mad I don't know what to do with my Baertschi jersey now :(

Know your grasping at straws, Sam Bennett's the Flames top prospect.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
No, but it would have been a little better to see our team get better especially when we're still in the thick of a playoff hunt. It makes me think that Treliving has given up on the fact we could make the playoffs.

I understand a balance between future/now.. but come on guy, improve us. We lost a top LWer on the team, and our top prospect. Now Gio is out for the year..

Schlemko is not the answer.

Maybe im just mad I don't know what to do with my Baertschi jersey now :(

I'd argue that Johnny Gaudreau has been our top LW this season, not Glencross. I loved Glencross, loved what he brought to the team for seven seasons and wish him nothing but the best for the future. That said, the return for Glencross was a good one. In my opinion, the only way it would have gotten better is if it was Buffalo's 3rd instead of Washington's, or we got a guy like Bowey for Glenny.

As for top prospect? Bennett says hello. I loved Sven too, but he was no longer our best prospect and he wanted out. Schlemko isn't the answer to our loss of Gio, but considering we got him for nothing and I think he'll be alright playing alongside any of our D-men to eat up some of those minutes that are left by Giordano. I just think that giving Treliving and co. an F is harsh and said with little thought.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Treliving met expectations. Didn't overpay for a rental, grabbed a D for cheap, Got market for his trades.

That's a B or 7/10 I guess? But to be fair, expecting a GM to be A or 8+/10 every year is pretty unrealistic too.

If Treliving can get met expectations every year, I think we're in fine hands.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Agree with FFF, an A- is a good rating for Treliving for this deadline. These were very difficult situations for him, with two of his players wanting out and I feel he maximized the returns for them. He didn't pull off panic moves just because our best player is out for the season, and stuck to the original plan.

Regardless of where we finish this season, we are in a fantastic position in a deep draft where we are very flexible in terms of maneuvering any of the 6 picks in the top 80 to strengthen our roster or stock our prospect shelves.

I don't know how some posters can think the organization was at fault for Sven's failure here. He was asked to mature physically, which he was not able to do. They wanted him to be more consistent, and he wasn't even able to do that in the AHL. How the **** would he do that in the NHL? He thought he deserves to be in the NHL, I don't blame him, but I really have doubts over whether he can be a consistent full-time NHL player.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
A-. Not a perfect trade deadline, but very well handled. He got good value for Glencross and decent value for Sven (who made complete sense to trade, given the circumstances).

Can't ask for much more from the GM of a team that's on the playoff bubble yet technically still in a rebuild. He handled the balancing act well.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Think he got a steal on Sven, and Glencross was solid. Makes me wonder however if he knew Gio was probably going to be out for the season when he traded Glencross. Knew that he wasn't worth keeping anymore. Regardless, we are in a much better position long term than we were two days ago. So..

A- for me

bWo*

I'll give him a B. Like the GlenX deal, now that I have a had time to cool off I don't mind the Baer trade but I'm disappointed that it's with Vancouver. like that he didn't mortgage the future for a run at it this year. Atleast our trade deadline wasn't like pittsburghs.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Baertschi trade: B+. His hands were tied, this was the best offer and I'd rather trade him than lose him for free and let the Nucks get him for a 2nd than a east team for a 3rd.

Glencross trade: A-. Knowing Gio was gonna be gone for awhile Glenny had to be traded. And he got a great return.

Schlemko claim: B-. 2 years ago he was playing on the 2nd pair on Phoenix. Better than Erixon and lets Tspoon develop.

FINAL GRADE: A-. He sticked to his plan, didn't break down because of Gio, got good assets for the draft

Last edited:

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
GlenX: A+

Happy to say farewell for that return.

baertschi: A or F-. Depends on how things turn out. Serious, serious gamble right there.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd give him an A.

He got a big return for a third line LW.

He got a second pick for a guy who would have handcuffed this team in the summer; and messed up this chemistry we've been building.

Picked up a depth dman for free rather than paying a pick for one.

Nothing you can complain about. We can't replace Gio... The closest was Yandle; and I'm not ready to trade a first, Klimchuk and Backlund for a year and change of Yandle. There's no replacing Gio; can't do much except maintain course here.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm sure flames fans are divided on if he deserved a spot or not.

I for one thought he earned a spot over some of Hartley's darlings.

Outside of Byron; who is a bottom 6er... That I don't see Sven slipping into that role; which one of Harts darlings?

Jooris clawed this spot out of nothing. Colborne is a completely different animal... Johnny is putting up more points than we've seen in a while for a rook... Not sure who's spot you want for Sven?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Outside of Byron; who is a bottom 6er... That I don't see Sven slipping into that role; which one of Harts darlings?

Jooris clawed this spot out of nothing. Colborne is a completely different animal... Johnny is putting up more points than we've seen in a while for a rook... Not sure who's spot you want for Sven?

this

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So it's time, I have calmed and thought things through.

Curtis Glencross: 8/10
I was down on this trade at first, but that was before I knew Giordano was out for 4-5 months. With that injury it didn't make sense to hold onto Glencross and looking at other returns at the deadline it was a very good return.​

Sven Baertschi: 4/10
I still do not like the deal, but at least I understand it some now. The value is decent considering Sven asked for a trade and is waiver eligible next season. But he was still traded to one of our 2 biggest rivals and I just feel you can't take the chance dealing a prospect like Baertschi to a rival.​

Standing Pat: 10/10
It would have been so easy to pay a premium to find a replacement for Giordano, but despite the difficult situation he stayed the course and didn't jeopardize our future. That is the best thing for this franchise in the long run.​

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Can't bring anything real unique to this discussion. I liked the deal for Glencross as I figured we would only get a 2nd. Now Sven I didn't like because A) it was only a second and B) it was to the Canucks. Having said that his explination as to why it had to be done right now make a lot of sense. The fact that Treliving didn't panic at the Gio injury and spend some of our hard earned assets says a lot about his committment to the plan which I really like.

Overall I rate him as having a B trade deadline performance.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Baertschi trade: D. Unless Baertschi is a bust, this is a horrible deal to a division rival for insignificant return. Seem Treliving is convinced but the jury is still out on Baertschi. Also, I still do not understand the reason to have to trade him now. It's not like he got a lot of Baertschi. Sure, by holding on he may get a lower draft pick later on but so what, it's worth a gamble.

Glencross trade: A. Glencross is not a producer for the Flames this year. Got good value for 2 months of rental of a very average player.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I give Treliving a C

If he had traded Sven to any other team than Vancouver, it would have been a B but I have never liked the idea of trading with them.

The Glencross deal was okay.

Overall none of these deals can be evaluated until there are names to these draft picks.

Sitting on his hands while everyone gets better, as we lose our best defenseman for the remainder of the year - F

"everyone gets better" for the next two months and then have to deal with cap realities.

The Flames don't get better until Gaudreau is having 25 goal seasons, Monahan is a 30/30 defensive monster, Bennett is a point per game, Backlund is dominating 3rd line centers, Shore is sniping from the right side, and a guy like Rafikov or Hickey or Wotherspoon has pushed Russell/Wideman/Engelland down the depth chart a bit.

Losing Gio hurts but unless you get Oliver Ekman Larsson back in a total drunken fleecing you're not doing much to salvage that loss.

10274794.jpg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
^^^
The same MayRay who started the year hot, missed a bunch of games, got benched and is now being productive on the top line?

That MayRay?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, I wouldn't say Raymond started the year hot at all. The hat-trick was basically against the run of play at the time. The overall impression was he was putting up points but wasn't deserving of them.

However, he has now found a solid level of play and I'm happy with his contribution.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
^^^
The same MayRay who started the year hot, missed a bunch of games, got benched and is now being productive on the top line?

That MayRay?

He's played one game on the top line, let's hold off on the praise for now. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad