Rate Brad Treliving's Trade Deadline

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Treliving said heading in to this year's trade deadline he wouldn't sacrifice any of our future to try and improve our chances at squeezing into the playoffs and he stuck to his word. Got a good return for Glencross, acquired a bottom D in Schlemko without giving up any assets, got good value (IMO) for a prospect who wanted out and didn't overpay for rentals.

Other than the horrible news on Giordano, I think it was a pretty good trade deadline for us.

How would you rate his first trade deadline with this team?

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Decent trade value overall but the implications from this deadline were just awful. No playoffs most likely and no top pick.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Guys, I am torn by this day. Absolutely bummed to the max right now. Gio was the heart and soul of this team.

Glencross trade - B
Baertschi trade - C
Not making additional trades to react to our loss - A+

Trevling did more this deadline by not making many trades. We have 6 picks in the first three rounds and potentially a top 10 pick now with Gio out. Im just so sad.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah I'd give him a B/B+. If he had leveraged our future for a rental to squeeze into the playoffs, I'd have rated him a D even if we did make it. He kept his eyes on the long term goal and stuck with it.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Decent trade value overall but the implications from this deadline were just awful. No playoffs most likely and no top pick.

That wasn't in BT's control though. He traded Sven because he wanted out, so something's better than nothing.

And although it wasn't today, the Glenny trade was good value.

I feel like they knew about Gio yesterday, which ultimately made them decide to trade him 100%. I think they might have still been on the fence had Gio been ok and set to make the playoff push.

I would give BT a B+ for the day/yesterday.

The initial shock of the Sven deal though had me thinking F- haha.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I'm glad he didn't add for a push. Gio's injury was a blessing in disguise in that regard.

Value in trades were great actually.
Solid B

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
B, maybe a B+. I thought he did pretty well with Glencross, did what he could with Sven, and made a good decision to not get crazy in trying to replace Gio for the season. Acquiring Schlemko off waivers is also a move I really like.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I don't blame him for Sven, that is on the organization as a whole for jerking him around. Overall I think he had a good deadline. Didn't react to the Gio injury and sell the future which is good.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't blame him for Sven, that is on the organization as a whole for jerking him around. Overall I think he had a good deadline. Didn't react to the Gio injury and sell the future which is good.
Seriously, you need to stop spouting this ********; it's not even close to being true. He's been a pro player for less than 3 years and has been asked to develop him game and earn a roster spot; that should be expected of all prospects.

Aug 21, 2014
B+

Good return for Glencross
Didn't panic do to Gio's injury
Got an asset for someone who didn't want to play for the Flames.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I am giving him an A-.

Why? Because Baertschi wanted out. Treliving on the 960 just said that Baertschi and camp were not going to re-sign with us. There were no better offers out there for Sven, so we traded with the division rival to get the better return.

The Glencross trade was on the money. Just like Baertschi, Glencross was most likely not going to re-sign with us. Treliving was able to extend the NMC to add in the Caps and got a fair trade for Glencross.

Giordano was injured, and he didn't release the injury news and duration until the deadline was over.

Treliving's first deadline was a huge success imo. For a rebuilding team to have 6 top 90 picks in what is known as a deep draft, that'll help this rebuild go even quicker.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta

If by jerking him around, you meant they didn't hand him a roster spot on a silver platter and instead made him earn it and work for it like everyone else, then yes. They certainly did.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
C

Moving Glencross was fine. - A
Moving Baertschi to a rival - D
Sitting on his hands while everyone gets better, as we lose our best defenseman for the remainder of the year - F

Ugh.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
If by jerking him around, you meant they didn't hand him a roster spot on a silver platter and instead made him earn it and work for it like everyone else, then yes. They certainly did.

I'm sure flames fans are divided on if he deserved a spot or not.

I for one thought he earned a spot over some of Hartley's darlings.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
C

Moving Glencross was fine. - A
Moving Baertschi to a rival - D
Sitting on his hands while everyone gets better, as we lose our best defenseman for the remainder of the year - F

Ugh.

Would you have rather we traded our first, third, and a defenseman for Coburn? Come on, man.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
GlenX trade is a B+. We got a great return despite his off year and upcoming UFA status.

Baertschi trade is a C. Not thrilled about it but a 2nd rounder is fair value, considering we would have lost him to free agency.

Also, for everyone mad about not getting a D man, come on! Who would we trade for a good dman? Prospects and picks. We're not at that stage as a team yet. We still have to grow our assets and develop a more talented and deep team before we start trading for other peoples assets.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Meh/10

Glencross trade was solid.
Schlemko's a bottom pairing defensemen.
Not panicking over the Giordano injury is excellent
Not overpaying for rentals or short term help is also excellent
Trading Baertschi to a divisional rival is a fail, regardless of Baertschi wanting out

Still need to see what happens with the multiple second round picks

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Would you have rather we traded our first, third, and a defenseman for Coburn? Come on, man.

No, but it would have been a little better to see our team get better especially when we're still in the thick of a playoff hunt. It makes me think that Treliving has given up on the fact we could make the playoffs.

I understand a balance between future/now.. but come on guy, improve us. We lost a top LWer on the team, and our top prospect. Now Gio is out for the year..

Schlemko is not the answer.

Maybe im just mad I don't know what to do with my Baertschi jersey now :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad