Rate 1st Draft day

How do you rate Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I'm really high on Kravtsov. I wanted to trade down from 26 to grab him. Would have taken Wahlstrom over him, but I like the player.

The other two I know less about. Miller was being hyped up all night by the draft coverage guys, but theyre just talking heads most of the time. Based on the moves following out pick, it does seem like a couple teams wanted to pick him, so I guess thats a good sign. Not sure I would have traded a 2nd for him.

Lundkvist seems like a solid pick. Again, I dont know much about him.

Neilstrong218

Mar 29, 2018
A+
2sOCImb

2xUiyvG

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
B.

I think the value on Kravtsov was a bit low for me at 9 with Wahlstrom on the board, but I can't knock it too much at all (truly just a bit).

I wish that we got a 4th rounder back in the trade to 22. Not sure how we didn't get any other pick in that deal.

I like all the players we took and we got two guys with top line / top pairing upside.

So I give it a B.

I'm in violent agreement. This is an A draft for me if they take Wahlstrom at 9 but I really like Kravtsov too. The price paid to move up was steep, especially after seeing what the move up from 29 to 25 cost, but I am hugely intrigued by Miller. Boqvist lite at 28 is just fine by me.

B overall. Would have been an A+ with Wahlstrom and paying a third instead of 48 to move up to 22.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Rated a B.

Would have preferred one of Dobson/Wahlstrom at 9, but I’m happy with Kravtsov.

I hate trading up for Miller and I hate the pick itself with Bokk still on the board. IMHO, this was idiotic and tainted what could have been an excellent first round.

Like Lundkvist at 28. Very solid pick.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm in violent agreement. This is an A draft for me if they take Wahlstrom at 9 but I really like Kravtsov too. The price paid to move up was steep, especially after seeing what the move up from 29 to 25 cost, but I am hugely intrigued by Miller. Boqvist lite at 28 is just fine by me.

B overall. Would have been an A+ with Wahlstrom and paying a third instead of 48 to move up to 22.

I would've given it an A or A+ even just with the trade being a bit less steep.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
1. we fail to trade away any of our players
2. We take a reach and a Russian factor at#9 instead of trading down to get him
3. We grossly overpay to trade up from #26 to #22
4. we take a player at 22 who very likely have been available at #26
5. we take an undersized soft Swedish Dman at #28 instead of going with a legit power forward like Noel

This is a solid D-
You Are wrong on #1-5 so A-

Reactions: UnSandvich

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
A-

When you have 3 picks in the first round, you swing for the fences because something will inevitably be a homerun. Kravtsov is a speedy & elite offensive force, will also further help to foster this young core of Russians we're building. Miller is an absolute monster of an athlete and one of the best skaters in this draft. Lundkvist is the prototypical defenseman of the future. I wish we traded up to walk away with both Kravtsov & Wahlstrom, but I'm still very happy walking away with these 3 players (who by the way, when you consider what we gave up to get these picks are absolute steals). This rebuild is going very well.

Btw I predicted we'd draft all 3 of these players in that other thread ;)

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
How is Lundqvist a swing for the fence? Not very skilled, not very offensive, no size, probably not very strong.

I think Kravtsov was a dumb pick because they should have traded down, and the only reason his stock went up because of 1 playoff run. How many times we see players in NHL have a good playoff performance and then disappear for the rest of their career?

And Miller even if he is good, is not worth an extra 2nd round pick. We overpaid really bad.

1 good playoff run? He’s only played in one KHL playoff run

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
B+

All 3 picks were solid. No real reach.

Would like for them to get a RHD at some point. Jett Woo would be a good pick with our 2nd

I'm of the belief they could get a 2nd for one of Spooner or Namestnikov tomorrow to replace the one lost to move up.

We still need to look at wing as well, especially a right handed shot. Something about the organization that they do not draft right handed shots.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
1 good playoff run? He’s only played in one KHL playoff run

Let's not even mention that he did it as a draft eligible player, in the 2nd best league in the world. Kind of hard to imagine that.

How we went gaga over Chytil doing the things he was doing, Kravtsov was doing similar things in KHL.

I would not be surprised if the Rangers buy out his final KHL season and he is here, possibly in the AHL after a 9 game audition for the NHL.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
No doubt the prospects we got have positive things going for them. They definitely make our pool better. I just didn't think the picks we made were so good relative to what we could've done instead.

Im a bit disappointed that from what I've heard so far, Kratsov is more of a playmaker. I would've preferred for us go after a sniper, as I think that's a much bigger need.

I like Miller a lot but not at the expense of trading away our 2nd round pick to only move up 4 spots. That puts a big sour spin on that pick.

Lundkvist looks like a decent pick but still would've preferred we went after a forward instead of a defenseman. 2 of our 3 picks in the first round were defensemen, where at the moment, we already have a lot of possibilities there.

Not bad, B-

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
B+

All 3 picks were solid. No real reach.

Would like for them to get a RHD at some point. Jett Woo would be a good pick with our 2nd

I'm of the belief they could get a 2nd for one of Spooner or Namestnikov tomorrow to replace the one lost to move up.

We still need to look at wing as well, especially a right handed shot. Something about the organization that they do not draft right handed shots.
Lundkvist is a RHD if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: mrjimmyg89

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
in KHL regular season he put up 7 points in 35 games and then in the playoffs he had 11 points in 16 games. If not for that playoff run he might not have been a 1st round pick.
Oo stop it, a 17 year old in the KHL having 7 points is nothing to sneeze at. He grew as a player and got better. What more do you want?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Let's not even mention that he did it as a draft eligible player, in the 2nd best league in the world. Kind of hard to imagine that.

How we went gaga over Chytil doing the things he was doing, Kravtsov was doing similar things in KHL.

I would not be surprised if the Rangers buy out his final KHL season and he is here, possibly in the AHL after a 9 game audition for the NHL.

I would be, they are so reluctant to buy out Shestyerkin and Rykov and Buchnevich before that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad