• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
1. we fail to trade away any of our players
2. We take a reach and a Russian factor at#9 instead of trading down to get him
3. We grossly overpay to trade up from #26 to #22
4. we take a player at 22 who very likely have been available at #26
5. we take an undersized soft Swedish Dman at #28 instead of going with a legit power forward like Noel

This is a solid D-

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
lol @ "we fail to trade away any of our players"

yeah we should be running to trade Hayes, Zib, Zucc, etc. Just give em away!

If we got a great offer than fine. Season starts in October. 82 games. Can't sim them and wait till next year. Play, win, surprise.

Reactions: darko and egelband

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
5. we take an undersized soft Swedish Dman at #28 instead of going with a legit power forward like Noel

This is a solid D-
lol russian factor

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
  • With the short clock, no one made a trade. This wasn't a New York Ranger issue. We made the only deal of the round. Players will be traded, just not today. Plenty of time. Not a bad thing.
  • Thrilled Tkachuk came off the board at 4.
  • Not thrilled we didn't trade up for Zadina at 6. I really think that would have been a winner.
  • Avoided selecting Bouchard, thank you.
  • Pleased with Kravtsov. The upside is there. I was thinking Wahlstrom, like many of you, but I'm good with this. I think it'll actually even work out better.
  • Miller was the target. Trading up to make it happen, I have no issue with it. I like the risk/reward here.
  • Lundkvist at 28. Can't hate that pick, right? Again, could there have been info that suggests he would have been gone between 28-38? Maybe.
All in all, I'm pleased. B range. Back at it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
lol @ "we fail to trade away any of our players"

yeah we should be running to trade Hayes, Zib, Zucc, etc. Just give em away!

If we got a great offer than fine. Season starts in October. 82 games. Can't sim them and wait till next year. Play, win, surprise.
Dont worry! I'm sure we can still trade them for a conditional 7th rounder.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I agree with you.

We went full swing for the fences players instead of the safe players they always tend to get attracted to

How is Lundqvist a swing for the fence? Not very skilled, not very offensive, no size, probably not very strong.

I think Kravtsov was a dumb pick because they should have traded down, and the only reason his stock went up because of 1 playoff run. How many times we see players in NHL have a good playoff performance and then disappear for the rest of their career?

And Miller even if he is good, is not worth an extra 2nd round pick. We overpaid really bad.

Reactions: ponytrekker

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Id give it a B bordering on a B+
For every pick I believe there were better players avaliable however all these guys are very good players. I am really excited to have Kratsov and Lundkvist and Miller is certainly an interesting player. Only thing holding this back from a B+ or higher was the trade up. Hopefully we can deal spooner or Namestnikov tommorow to add a few seconds. Overall pretty good
Also @WeNeverGetaGoodCoach you’re kidding with reasons #2 and #5 right. Cause those are ridiculous complaints

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
B.

I think the value on Kravtsov was a bit low for me at 9 with Wahlstrom on the board, but I can't knock it too much at all (truly just a bit).

I wish that we got a 4th rounder back in the trade to 22. Not sure how we didn't get any other pick in that deal.

I like all the players we took and we got two guys with top line / top pairing upside.

So I give it a B.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

This is a solid D-
You have no idea what you’re talking about

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
How would you possibly grade this when none have even had a chance to play for the Rangers?
Do you guys just go around looking for stuff to whinge about?

Reactions: egelband

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Post multiple-drinks and coming down off the adrenaline rush? A-.

Kravtsov is insanely talented. There was a lot of talk leading up to tonight that he was a sleeper as a possible top-5 selection. Am I a little bummed about Wahlstrom? Sure, but that's more from all the talk leading up to the draft than it is based on the players. I think they're both potential 1st line wingers, but Wahlstrom was a bit of a safer bet for me. Of course I saw a hell of a lot more of Wahlstrom than Kravtsov and that plays a big role.

Miller is a home run for me. Phenomenal pick. Glad the Rangers didn't hesitate to get the guy they wanted.

Lundkvist is tough for me. I saw very, very little tape on him and I'm a big fan of Bode Wilde. So the bias is strong with not a lot of substance to argue against the Swede. Hopefully the Rangers made the right pick here and maybe they can still get Wilde tomorrow. :nod:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Overpaying for 22 was kind of okay, since I think the logic was A) Miller was "their guy" at the top of their list and B) they knew he wasn't going to be available at 26 and wanted to 1000% secure it.

If they recoup 2nds by trading some RFAs, that makes it a total wash.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

This is a solid D-

Soft Swede and Lazy Russian on Day One. Can’t wait for this guys Day Two hot takes.

I gave it a B-plus, if anyone cares. I have no knowledge of any of these players.

Last edited:

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I see the logic behind all the picks, and they'll probably get the extra second rounder back tomorrow with Spooner or (hopefully) Namestnikov. I don't know enough about this stuff to give it a grade but A- sounds fine

Reactions: egelband

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I like kravtsov...I just hate that they passed on wahlstrom...just hate it. In this case it's not who they got...it's who they didn't.

Love the Miller pick. Just love it. That's a swing for the fences pick.
Like the lundkvist pick a lot. A 2nd round target but I'm happy we got him at all.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Kravtsov: B. Wanted Wahlstrom here, as I felt he was more in the mold of what this team needed. The scouting staff did their due diligence on him. Spent a lot of time scouting him and interviewing him. If he comes over after next season that would be best. Could end up being the 2nd best winger in the draft class if all breaks right.

Miller: B+. Had him as a top 20 pick. Athleticism and strength is off the charts. Could be a lefty Dustin Byfuglien if all breaks right. He's going to be miserable to play against.

Lundkvist B: Good modern day puck moving defenseman that put up good numbers in the SHL. Pretty young with lots of room to improve.

Didn't trade Hayes and didn't trade Spooner or Namestnikov for gaudy returns.

Overall: B+

HF performance: F

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Voted A, love the upside in all 3 guys. Before the pick McKenzie mentioned Drury and Gordie both spent a good amount of time in Russia with Bobrov watching Kravtsov so they clearly did their due dilligence on him when he was just getting 9 minutes a game on the third line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad