Recalled/Assigned: Rasmussen recalled

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Because 21 year olds are finished products? Dotter thinks that Ras will be more impactful. He didn't say he IS more impactful. We all know big guys take longer to develop.
Right, then factor in linemates for Necas (Knee-chaas/Nets-cash) & Vilardi vs. Ras. Then factor in coaches, team etc. It's a lot probably closer & I'm not even a Ras-groupie, I just want to see him succeed as we all do.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Because 21 year olds are finished products? Dotter thinks that Ras will be more impactful. He didn't say he IS more impactful. We all know big guys take longer to develop.

For sure, I think the end of my post touched on that. Rasmussen's role for the majority of his time as an NHLer was as a rushed 4th liner due to the crappy agreement with the CHL/ not being able to send him to Grand Rapids -- he certainly has more to show us, I think even the biggest Rasmussen doubter will admit that.

Right, then factor in linemates for Necas (Knee-chaas/Nets-cash) & Vilardi vs. Ras. Then factor in coaches, team etc. It's a lot probably closer & I'm not even a Ras-groupie, I just want to see him succeed as we all do.

For Necas I would say without question, yes, as he has been eased in on the RW beside Staal/ Trocheck this season and his numbers reflect playing with Cs of that caliber on a competitive team.

Vilardi, however, I would say has just as little to work with for the most part. IIRC a lot of his production last year came with Frk playing as a middle 6 line in LA. With Vilardi as the C. That is a pretty tall order IMO, and his PPG so far (especially coming back from so much missed time/ severe injuries) has been noteworthy.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
For sure, I think the end of my post touched on that. Rasmussen's role for the majority of his time as an NHLer was as a rushed 4th liner due to the crappy agreement with the CHL/ not being able to send him to Grand Rapids -- he certainly has more to show us, I think even the biggest Rasmussen doubter will admit that.

For Necas I would say without question, yes, as he has been eased in on the RW beside Staal/ Trocheck this season and his numbers reflect playing with Cs of that caliber on a competitive team.

Vilardi, however, I would say has just as little to work with for the most part. IIRC a lot of his production last year came with Frk playing as a middle 6 line in LA. With Vilardi as the C. That is a pretty tall order IMO, and his PPG so far (especially coming back from so much missed time/ severe injuries) has been noteworthy.
Martin "the NHL's hardest shot" Frk. Surely, it's easy to look good next to Frk. /s or \s.

I wonder what AA-Vilardi-Frk as L3 could do. AA's speed to make up for Frk's lack of.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yea because our D won't immediately take the faceoff win and slap it down the ice randomly.

Oh yea forgot Ericsson is gone.
C'mon, SuperStaal is gonna forget he's the slowest player in the league and deke his way to another goal. His patented Slow Staal move causes the opponents to over anticipate, thereby skating right by the puck.

Backhand Luke and SuperStaal are gonna be the ultimate center/defenseman combo in this league.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Martin "the NHL's hardest shot" Frk. Surely, it's easy to look good next to Frk. /s or \s.

I wonder what AA-Vilardi-Frk as L3 could do. AA's speed to make up for Frk's lack of.

As a super sheltered line it might actually work,,, makes me think

I think lately the 2nd line has been x - Vilardi - Carter and now that AA is back from injury dailyfaceoff is showing him in that LW spot so Vilardi getting Carter is a nice support piece, better than Ras will get here most likely, so I'm going to ammend my Vilardi statement from earlier

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
As a super sheltered line it might actually work,,, makes me think

I think lately the 2nd line has been x - Vilardi - Carter and now that AA is back from injury dailyfaceoff is showing him in that LW spot so Vilardi getting Carter is a nice support piece, better than Ras will get here most likely, so I'm going to ammend my Vilardi statement from earlier
Apparently AA & Frk are great friends going all the way back to GR. So maybe Mantha just needs some great friends? :sarcasm:

Reactions: PullHard

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

21 year olds are not finished products. Necas and Vilardi (despite his injuries) are well ahead of Rasmussen and quite frankly were before they drafted.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
giphy.gif

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thought this was interesting from an article by The Athletic published yesterday:

But the big name of those three remains Rasmussen, the ninth overall pick in 2017. One key focus area for his development has been his skating, and when the Red Wings couldn’t get their skating coach to him this offseason due to COVID-19 restrictions, Detroit director of player development Shawn Horcoff said Rasmussen hired a personal skating coach back home. The results, so far, have been positive.

“That’s a big thing for Ras — when he’s skating, and not just skating but skating at a high pace and really moving his feet, he’s effective,” Horcoff said. “He’s a big body, he’s strong for his size, he’s hard to move when he gets to the net front. Especially when he’s playing center, you have to be able to skate. So that’s just a big thing for him. … We believe in him as a prospect, and we just want him to play more minutes, more offensive situations than he would get in Detroit. And that’s why he’s down in Grand Rapids.”

full article: Red Wings forward pipeline: How Lucas Raymond and 19 more prospects fit into the rebuild

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
21 year olds are not finished products. Necas and Vilardi (despite his injuries) are well ahead of Rasmussen and quite frankly were before they drafted.
Ras would be 20 goal and 50 point player if he were on Carolina. But Vilardi you are absolutely correct. He should have been our pick and we'd be much happier for it. No small man at 6'3" and producing regularly on a team right on the playoff bubble. A few months younger and similar junior hockey production. I'm wondering if there was an injury aversion to Vilardi at draft time. Or Kenny just loves the Q goal scorers and the W big boys, idk.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ras would be 20 goal and 50 point player if he were on Carolina. But Vilardi you are absolutely correct. He should have been our pick and we'd be much happier for it. No small man at 6'3" and producing regularly on a team right on the playoff bubble. A few months younger and similar junior hockey production. I'm wondering if there was an injury aversion to Vilardi at draft time. Or Kenny just loves the Q goal scorers and the W big boys, idk.

There was. Vilardi was quite clearly 3rd best forward pre-draft on that draft, if you forget all injury concerns with his back. But 8 teams skipped him before LAK took the risk.

Also, I would first look 300 NHL games and some full 82 seasons, before saying, that skipping him was a mistake.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There was. Vilardi was quite clearly 3rd best forward pre-draft on that draft, if you forget all injury concerns with his back. But 8 teams skipped him before LAK took the risk.

Also, I would first look 300 NHL games and some full 82 seasons, before saying, that skipping him was a mistake.
I dunno if it was that clear, he missed half the season his draft year.

I would've been happy with pretty much any of the centers or D drafted right after Raz, I don't think he was on anyone's radar here.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
All Rasmussen threads will be my fun threads when this team, some day, has again a legit power-play. Maybe it will start next year when Raymond comes, maybe later.

All Rasmussen threads will also be my fun threads, when we are having again playoff runs, and some lovely matchupping. Rasmussen against Elite center, shutting him down, both going 0-0 on scoring and our other lines clinching the series.

Those will be lovely times to pump up these bashing threads.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
All Rasmussen threads will be my fun threads when this team, some day, has again a legit power-play. Maybe it will start next year when Raymond comes, maybe later.

All Rasmussen threads will also be my fun threads, when we are having again playoff runs, and some lovely matchupping. Rasmussen against Elite center, shutting him down, both going 0-0 on scoring and our other lines clinching the series.

He's picked up the hitting, which can be one of his biggest assets @ 6'6" 220+

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I dunno if it was that clear, he missed half the season his draft year.

I would've been happy with pretty much any of the centers or D drafted right after Raz, I don't think he was on anyone's radar here.

I think Vilardi had 3 injuries on his draft year. First was at Hlinka pre-game, where it was Michal Rasmussen who knee'ed him. Then he had appendectomy and some other injury before getting hot at later part of the season. Especially playoffs + Memorial Cup (win).

Then he wasn't able to do some leg press test in June 2017 draft combine or something. I did find these from old HFB discussion. This thing raised some questions. Is the knee still bothering him? Some teams did find out some info about back problems.

Then happened draft.

After the draft his back injury went worse in the summer (back sprain). Got surgery and came back in November 2017. Was great for rest of the season.

Then this back injury happened again at 2018 off-season. He came back in November for 4 games, and was also called for WJC Canada camp, but problems occured again and he lost rest of the season 2018-19.

Then it was silent almost for a year, until his agent said that rehab is going well and Vilardi could do a full recovery. And since, he has played regularily. Started from AHL and got 10 games in NHL at season 2019-20. Skipped some back-to back games in AHL.

So his past is most like Svechnikov's and if anybody could decide, they would change Svechnikov from 2015 draft to some other player. But when grass is always greener, it should this most injury-eaten Vilardi who should have been drafted instead the player who we drafted.

Kings took the risk, and now after a great rehab everything looks good, pick looks like a steal, but who knows if on one day or after some bad hit, the problem circle will start again. We haven't been 100% lucky with Rasmussen injuries either. He has had these knees and wrists and everything too. Pettersson is the best forward of 2017 class, and he has been concussed twice. Everybody has their own problems.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Rasmussen wouldn't sniff the ice in Carolina.

Reactions: Gniwder

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

If Detroit has a legit power play, why would they have a fringe NHL player on it?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Detroit has a legit power play, why would they have a fringe NHL player on it?

Ever seen a screener on the PP ?

And he could be the best faceoff guy, who is CRITICAL to start the puck control on PP.

Rasmussen has those special tools, but we don't have the legit skill guys to run the PP. He will be Tomas Holmström 2.0 with faceoff ability in his prime.

He has those skills nobody in this team is currently having. Except if you don't want Glendening on the PP. But if we project things, few years in the future, Glendening is not in the team and Rasmussen is in prime and he has those elite players around him running the PP. Just like Holmström had Lidström, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and a 5th guy like Franzen. Or Shanahan, Yzerman, Fedorov + Lidström in the older days.

Holmström would have been useless without the elite guys around him, but became the master complimentary player with them. Abdelkader inherited the Holmström destiny, those elite guys leaving one by one, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Zetterberg. We did see the results. Wrong place in wrong time.

Rasmussen is the guy on the same way, more on the Holmström than Abdelkader way, because he'll get his Raymonds and guys around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Stanley

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
3 solid hits last game.

Noticed in GR hes really playing physical and mixing it up with guys. Last night was the first game in the NHL where I thought he asserted himself in the NHL like that. Part of it is how much better hes skating and getting used to the pace of the league I think though. He absolutely smoked Bean last night

Reactions: 14ari13

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
When Ras makes the line-up f/t it will be interesting to see who eats crow and who tries to re-frame their previous comments...

To say anyone with even borderline NHL talent, especially if they potential to improve, can't make X NHL team because they aren't on the Wings Roster is facile and reductive to the extreme.

Everything is context sensitive. A far better team may see in value in lining up with Rasmussen if they are short on size, short at centre or need a good PP screener, particularly if they have the strength in other positions to cover some of his deficiencies. Also other teams may not be deliberately keeping half their better prospects down due to tanking/rebuild timelines/player assessment ahead of expansion draft etc etc.

The Wings are a team currently playing in a very specific way, with specific goals and to certain timelines. Unless Rasmussen was a definite bona-fide 2nd line center NOW, it makes no sense for the wings to bring him up for a full time gig. Similarly they prioritised Veleno & the Manhaim Hammer's development over the maximising of this years NHL roster. Similarly they prioritised stable FAs on short term contracts.

There are better NHL teams than Detroit where 2-3 of Ras, Seider, Veleno, Svech and maybe even Cholowski would be on the roster most nights.

Rasmussen's never going to be an exciting player, but he might be an effective one.

I'd love to have had this forum around in the 90s - I can see the comments now at various times in the decade

Yzerman's great but he's a choker in the playoffs
Holmstrom will never be an NHL player
Lidstrom needs to get tougher if he's ever going to be elite
Why are we trading for Larionov/Chelios, he's too old to be useful
Kieth Primeau will be the future of this Franchise
Why would anyone trade away Paul Coffey?
Kris Draper? Kurt Maltby? Why are we bothering with these bums?
Darren Mccarty will be a 60 point player, mark my words

etc etc

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I was watching the game in and out last night but really didn't notice much Ras when I was watching. Did he get much ice time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad