Recalled/Assigned: Rasmussen recalled

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Interesting quote about Ras from Bultman in his article on The Athletic today: "The Red Wings see him as a matchup center in the mold of Carolina’s Jordan Staal, and Rasmussen shows moments to indicate he could add a bit of offense on occasion." Bultman obviously has contacts in the org so framing it as the "Red Wings" perspective and not his personal one is interesting. I guess which version of Jordan Staal he's referring to is up for interpretation.
That seems like a fair comparison, IMO. A player who, from year to year, adapts his play to fit the needs of the team and has a solid overall 200 foot game that is hard to move off the puck and is a general nuisance for the other team to play against. I think he caps out around 20-25 goals in a given year and if we get 1000 games out of him, that would be pretty good.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
That seems like a fair comparison, IMO. A player who, from year to year, adapts his play to fit the needs of the team and has a solid overall 200 foot game that is hard to move off the puck and is a general nuisance for the other team to play against. I think he caps out around 20-25 goals in a given year and if we get 1000 games out of him, that would be pretty good.

This is the exact comparison I've been noting for quite awhile. Jordan Staal is who we hope he turns into. A 20-25 goal guy that absolutely shuts down other teams top line players, is a good faceoff guy, and also contributes well on the PP. Someone who could be a #2 center in a pinch but is perfect if he can be your #3 and be the matchup guy. I still argue that Staal matchup is what gave the Wings fits in both of their finals matches. Wings need that #1 center that can push both Ras and Larkin a spot down in the grouping.

Reactions: golffuul

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
I like to see next season Berggren- Ras- Raymond .

From what I've been seeing from Blashill and pretty much any other coach on this level, you are not going to see two rookies and an almost-sophomore on the same line. Average age 21. Not gonna happen.

I think Raymond and Berggren will go through the same-as-usual-procedure of Steve Yzerman: Back and forth in the AHL/NHL untill they have learned all the robes of being a professional player on and off the ice in the best league in the world.

I won't reject the possibility that they could learn very fast, but when I look at what Yzerman's been doing over the course of his GM career there is the distinct notion that he is very patient with the players early NHL development to get them to where they can fill out a role with the effect that he and the coaching staff wants and needs. Rasmussen is probably the latest fine example of that. Before him Zadina.

Hopefully some of Lindström, Cholowski, Smith, MacIsaac, Grewe, Hirose and others will also turn out to be successes once they've been through this entire "Yzerman Maturity Education".

Of course they won't all succeed, but I just think Yzerman has this clear cut plan that's working on this level.

No doubt you can have players that can jump directly to the NHL and I'm pretty sure Moritz Seider will do just that, but he is a pretty unique individual with loads of maturity both physically, mentally and attitude wise, so it's hard to compare him to the others.

I think Raymond is simply not at NHL level quite yet, same goes for Veleno. They will need some AHL work to get ready. Yes, Veleno can get a shot here at the end of the season if he is over his concussion, but he still need another bunch of games in the AHL to get ready for NHL action from the start of next season. You have to try and win from the season start, you know.

Berggren is ready when it comes to skills and I also suspect he is more mature, but I don't know this for a fact. I just think he will also need some AHL games to adjust to the smaller ice surface and the fact that in the NHL you can't do all of the things you do get to do in SHL. He might get a few surprises like Mathias Bromé surely did when removed from the big surface.

Reactions: lilidk

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I'm still going to err on the safe side and assume all of Veleno, Raymond, and Berggren don't make the Day 1 NHL roster next year. I'd expect something like

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Zadina
Vrana - Rasmussen - Fabbri
Erne - Namestikov - UFA
Panik - Glendenning - Smith
Svechnikov/UFA

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Interesting quote about Ras from Bultman in his article on The Athletic today: "The Red Wings see him as a matchup center in the mold of Carolina’s Jordan Staal, and Rasmussen shows moments to indicate he could add a bit of offense on occasion." Bultman obviously has contacts in the org so framing it as the "Red Wings" perspective and not his personal one is interesting. I guess which version of Jordan Staal he's referring to is up for interpretation.

During one of the recent games the commentators said the Wings were telling Ras to watch Jordan Staal mostly due to that's what they want him to be.

Reactions: Vector Cereal

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm still going to err on the safe side and assume all of Veleno, Raymond, and Berggren don't make the Day 1 NHL roster next year. I'd expect something like

Vrana - Rasmussen - Fabbri
Erne - Namestikov - UFA
Panik - Glendenning - Smith
Svechnikov/UFA
I think Stevie should just let them sink or swim, what's the worst that can happen? Shane Wright?

Berggren - Fabbri - Vrana
Erne - Rasmussen - Namestikov
Veleno - Glendenning - (Smith/Helm)/Panik
Svechnikov/Nielsen

UFA (Martinez) - Seider
DDK/Cholo - Hronek
Staal - Stecher/Lindstrom
Djoos

I think Smith gets picked in the expansion draft, giving Stevie an excuse to re-sign Helm as a 4th liner with appropriate salary.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think Stevie should just let them sink or swim, what's the worst that can happen? Shane Wright?

Berggren - Fabbri - Vrana
Erne - Rasmussen - Namestikov
Veleno - Glendenning - (Smith/Helm)/Panik
Svechnikov/Nielsen

UFA (Martinez) - Seider
DDK/Cholo - Hronek
Staal - Stecher/Lindstrom
Djoos

I think Smith gets picked in the expansion draft, giving Stevie an excuse to re-sign Helm as a 4th liner with appropriate salary.

I mostly agree, that lineup is pretty similar to mine. I still expect an uphill battle for guys like Veleno/Berggren/Raymond to make the roster. I'd rather have Veleno as the 1C in GR than the 4W in Detroit, for example.

I'd also prefer Ras to Fabbri as the 2C. Fabbri plays his best hockey off the wing, and I think Ras has showed enough promise to earn a run in that role next season.

And I think Helm has looked washed lately. Good servant to the club, but I'd prefer to say our goodbyes this offseason.

Reactions: lomekian

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I mostly agree, that lineup is pretty similar to mine. I still expect an uphill battle for guys like Veleno/Berggren/Raymond to make the roster. I'd rather have Veleno as the 1C in GR than the 4W in Detroit, for example.

I'd also prefer Ras to Fabbri as the 2C. Fabbri plays his best hockey off the wing, and I think Ras has showed enough promise to earn a run in that role next season.

And I think Helm has looked washed lately. Good servant to the club, but I'd prefer to say our goodbyes this offseason.
I think Fabbri looks better as a winger myself, but I also think he's the best possible option there if the team wants to win. Mostly has to do with Berggren (and Raymond) being a winger and giving Raz easier matchups where he has a better chance of being successful.

I see Veleno bouncing between GR and the Wings next season.

I only picked Helm because he looks the least washed up between Gagner/Flip/Helm and Ryan serves no purpose on the 4th line. If Smith doesn't get picked in the expansion, he's the better choice there. We only need a warm body for a year, 2 max and I don't foresee too many UFA forwards wanting to sign up for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad