Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
It says salary cap reasons so that nash can play his first game and hutton is cheaper.

Not sure that it comes down to Hutton being cheaper... moreso that he requires waivers to go to the taxi-squad... Sandin doesn't.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
It says salary cap reasons so that nash can play his first game and hutton is cheaper.
Hutton is in no way cheaper than Sandin. Sandin is still under ELC. Did the ducks eat some of hutton cap hits or something about Sandin's bonus? very weird.

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
Time to pull the plug on this experiment at this point in time. His straight-line speed is still horrendous and it lead directly to the winning goal. It’s not like Sandin is performing any miracles on the PP where he is an absolute necessity.

Get him outta there and get Dermott back in there ASAP.
No. Sandin is a better option than Dermott.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
No. Sandin is a better option than Dermott.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Dermott is clearly the safer option as of right now. Sandin’s top speed is clearly not NHL level at this point in time.

When you have a two stride lead on a guy chasing you and you end up falling on your face while the the puck ends up in the back of the net there is a major problem

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Dermott is clearly the safer option as of right now. Sandin’s top speed is clearly not NHL level at this point in time.

When you have a two stride lead on a guy chasing you and you end up falling on your face while the the puck ends up in the back of the net there is a major problem
Sandin is great on the power play though. Dermott has hands of stone.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I love Sandin but as I told all you guys 2 years ago and more recently Sandin has a very very short choppy stride and his straight line speed is at most AHL level ... until Barb can teach him how to lengthen his stride he will continue to have a hard time with a straight line races .. and there is no guarantee he will figure it out .. he could still be a bust .. his hockey IQ and core strength is off da charts great

But bottom line we can't have a guy who gets beat flat out twice in 1 game for goals against because he can't skate at an NHL level .. it is inexcusable as a COACH Keefer to insert him into lineup for 3rd pair .. I blame you Keefer .. 1st goal he had a 3 stride lead and got blown by and 2nd goal he was on red line and Habs guy on his own blue line and by our blue line Habs guys had blown by him .. to point where he could only dive as he knew he was beat bad .. Sandin is a great kid and he will blame himself for costing team game .. but it really is all on Keefer for not acting in best interest of team

This was not 1st time this occurred .. it occurred against Carolina AHL squad a couple years ago in playoffs too .. same exact issues .. and Keefer knows da issue too .. he rolled da dice and came up snake eyes .. this is why I blame Keefer ..

But I do understand he wanted to improve PP#1 so I get why he made da move .. but he killed 3rd pair at same time .. he will switch out Sandin for game 2 and all will be fine

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

It was a red line to blue line lead .. this is a well known org issue .. Keefer and Dubie are fully aware of this issue and have been for 2 years now

Reactions: Korg

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Didn't realize he was that slow.

Went from shoulder to shoulder with Bogo and 2 strides ahead of Anderson at centre ice to completely left in the dust by both as Anderson pulled away and Bogo was at least able to stay close enough to put pressure on him while Sandin was a non-factor.

Went from 15 foot head start and in good body position on Byron to desperation dive into Byron's feet in the time it took to get from the offensive blueline to the defensive blueline.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I was flat out shocked how badly he got burned last night. Flat out shocked. Something you might expect from a Bogo or Thornton, but our young 'mobile' top D prospect? He had a good lead and it was a very short distance/race and he was torched. One play is never a defining moment on a player, but about as disappointing of a play as possible given the stakes. And no this is also not me laying complete blame on him for the goal - but to be honest it was a relatively harmless opportunity save for him getting torched from well behind.

Reactions: supermann_98

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I love Sandin but as I told all you guys 2 years ago and more recently Sandin has a very very short choppy stride and his straight line speed is at most AHL level ... until Barb can teach him how to lengthen his stride he will continue to have a hard time with a straight line races .. and there is no guarantee he will figure it out .. he could still be a bust .. his hockey IQ and core strength is off da charts great

But bottom line we can't have a guy who gets beat flat out twice in 1 game for goals against because he can't skate at an NHL level .. it is inexcusable as a COACH Keefer to insert him into lineup for 3rd pair .. I blame you Keefer .. 1st goal he had a 3 stride lead and got blown by and 2nd goal he was on red line and Habs guy on his own blue line and by our blue line Habs guys had blown by him .. to point where he could only dive as he knew he was beat bad .. Sandin is a great kid and he will blame himself for costing team game .. but it really is all on Keefer for not acting in best interest of team

This was not 1st time this occurred .. it occurred against Carolina AHL squad a couple years ago in playoffs too .. same exact issues .. and Keefer knows da issue too .. he rolled da dice and came up snake eyes .. this is why I blame Keefer ..

But I do understand he wanted to improve PP#1 so I get why he made da move .. but he killed 3rd pair at same time .. he will switch out Sandin for game 2 and all will be fine
lets hope so.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think he has higher upside than Dermott but Dermott has been quietly solid this year.
This is speculation at best .. no one can know with young defenders who will develop and he won't .. it takes 5-7 years of pro hockey to figure it out always has always will

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think he has higher upside than Dermott but Dermott has been quietly solid this year.
Sandin will be a decent defenseman. There is no shame to losing a spot at his age. I doubt there was a plan to use him 100% in the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sandin will be a decent defenseman. There is no shame to losing a spot at his age. I doubt there was a plan to use him 100% in the playoffs.

I don’t mind either way if he’s in or out but hopefully they manage his confidence if they do pull him out of the roster. Would be tough to go from the golden boy to goat in one game. Dermott has been quietly efficient and might be a better look, even if he’s not put on PP1 cameo duties. You get a lower ceiling but a higher floor.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Common Dubie get your 1st round pick some skating lessons so he can learn how to lengthen his stride .. way way way too short for an NHLer .. I will find out if its you who put him back in game 2 trust me .. us hockey guys have all kinds of friends .. no way Keefer made that call it was you .. it will cost you dearly

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Yea that was about as bad as it gets for a playoff debut because of the SH goal. But he looked like a definite upgrade over Rielly when we had possession on the PP.

He's gotta sit though, watching him try to race for the puck was pathetic. I think Roman Polak would have been faster.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It was a red line to blue line lead .. this is a well known org issue .. Keefer and Dubie are fully aware of this issue and have been for 2 years now

You'd think they'd have had him focus on his straight-line speed in the past year & change since he was barely playing any organized hockey. No sure what they had him doing instead.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Didn't realize he was that slow.

Went from shoulder to shoulder with Bogo and 2 strides ahead of Anderson at centre ice to completely left in the dust by both as Anderson pulled away and Bogo was at least able to stay close enough to put pressure on him while Sandin was a non-factor.

Went from 15 foot head start and in good body position on Byron to desperation dive into Byron's feet in the time it took to get from the offensive blueline to the defensive blueline.
We lost 2 foot races and that was da game .. same guy lost both .. don't buy these excuses about he was tired due to shift length .. you don't go from slowest or 2nd slowest straight line foot speed guy on Marlies 2 years ago to NHL level ok today .. Keefer knows exactly what da issue is .. I heard it directly from Keefer 2 years ago .. da issue has not changed 1 iotta .. until it is corrected he will struggle with NHL speed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad