Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Other changes like what? Move everyone another 5 feet from the goal crease and keep the puck even higher up on the parameter than before?
Moved away from the big 4, put Marner back on his off wing, utilize Matthews as a onetimer and bumper.

Pretty obvious it wasn't just his job to fix things IMO

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Moved away from the big 4, put Marner back on his off wing, utilize Matthews as a onetimer and bumper.

Pretty obvious it wasn't just his job to fix things IMO

Sorry. Didn't meant to be implying that it was Sandin's job. I saw the red mist and forgot I was in his thread, and not the PP thread. The reality is Keefe has made every change to the PP except for the one that might actually get it going again, which is send everyone hard to the net and grip it and rip it. Enough with trying to get the fancy schmancy PP going when it's clear that it's not going to figure itself out anytime soon.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Sorry. Didn't meant to be implying that it was Sandin's job. I saw the red mist and forgot I was in his thread, and not the PP thread. The reality is Keefe has made every change to the PP except for the one that might actually get it going again, which is send everyone hard to the net and grip it and rip it. Enough with trying to get the fancy schmancy PP going when it's clear that it's not going to figure itself out anytime soon.
We've tried a heavy shot PP with double screens and it hasn't been very effective.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
We've tried a heavy shot PP with double screens and it hasn't been very effective.

When? Serious question.

And I'm not talking about heavy shot PP with double screens. I'm talking about driving the net and putting the puck there. For example:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
When? Serious question.

And I'm not talking about heavy shot PP with double screens. I'm talking about driving the net and putting the puck there. For example:

They run that play often still, the problem is you need the right shot/rebound/etc.. for it to look like that and not the weak Marner wrister we all complain about often.

Double screen was used pretty heavily early on in the year and with Matthews wrist injury. It struggled and we've gone back and forth, but aren't getting a lot of success with it

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
They run that play often still

Not really. The run the umbrella play 90% of the time, and the other 10% they run the behind the net jam play while everyone else stands in their allotted spots.

They never, ever, shovel the puck to the net and drive everyone there at the same time. They just don't.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not really. The run the umbrella play 90% of the time, and the other 10% they run the behind the net jam play while everyone else stands in their allotted spots.

They never, ever, shovel the puck to the net and drive everyone there at the same time. They just don't.
That's their typical umbrella setup with bumper. Low man goes to the front, bumper turns to net and Matthews tries to find a lane while drifting to the net.

Big issue is were relying on Marner to make the right shot with no real passing options. You can stack the middle, which is what teams are doing, and it's just a strong side shot by our weakest shooting threat.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
That's their typical umbrella setup with bumper. Low man goes to the front, bumper turns to net and Matthews tries to find a lane while drifting to the net.

No, it's not.

Typical umbrella setup is, as you say, low man to the front, Matthews and Marner on the top of the circles, Rielly/Sandin at the point, with the goal being either, guy down low goes to the side of the net for the pass and jam while Matthews and Marner stay up high for the loose puck, or Matthews tries to pick the corner with his wrist shot. Or, rarely, Marner tries to fool them with a shot after drifting down to the faceoff dot with the puck while everyone blocks the passing lanes.

That's it.

They don't put the puck to the net and drive. They don't.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
This might be the most important single game Sandin has played in his career so far in terms of setting a pathway for his career.

Hope he steps up.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
No, it's not.

Typical umbrella setup is, as you say, low man to the front, Matthews and Marner on the top of the circles, Rielly/Sandin at the point, with the goal being either, guy down low goes to the side of the net for the pass and jam while Matthews and Marner stay up high for the loose puck, or Matthews tries to pick the corner with his wrist shot. Or, rarely, Marner tries to fool them with a shot after drifting down to the faceoff dot with the puck while everyone blocks the passing lanes.

That's it.

They don't put the puck to the net and drive. They don't.
Which is why I said umbrella with a bumper. Instead of going 2 low, we stack with the bumper and it's been our setup for the the vast majority of the past 2-4 years now. Usually Tavares there as bumper, we've tried others this year. Before Tavares we primarily used Kadri in that spot

It's our most common setup and truthfully, I hate it with a righty low because it forces the shot on Marner's side because there's no step out option or cross-crease pass from the net man and Marner's just not good enough in that spot to beat goalies with any regularity

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Which is why I said umbrella with a bumper. Instead of going 2 low, we stack with the bumper and it's been our setup for the the vast majority of the past 2-4 years now. Usually Tavares there as bumper, we've tried others this year. Before Tavares we primarily used Kadri in that spot

It's our most common setup and truthfully, I hate it with a righty low because it forces the shot on Marner's side because there's no step out option or cross-crease pass from the net man and Marner's just not good enough in that spot to beat goalies with any regularity

We stopped using the bumper play after Kadri left. We had Tavares kind of there for periods in 2018-19, but they gave up on that very early, because Tavares wasn't that good at it like Kadri and Bozak were.

Now, the play is put Hyman or Simmonds or someone similar at the goal line, give them the puck, and then have them try and jam it far side. That's the only other play besides get it to Matthews and hope he can find a seam to get his wrist shot off.

IMO, the reason they don't drive the net is because of analytics BS: by keeping Matthews, Marner and Rielly/Sandin up high during a goalmouth scrum, they feel they increase the chances of knocking down clearing attempts with the extra area blocked. But that's dumb, because you don't score on PPs by playing it safe. You score by going to the net, giving your skill-guys space, and moving both players and the puck around quickly. And the Leafs haven't been doing any of that, I'd argue, all season. Matthews just managed to catch every team early on in the season by being just a step ahead on the PP. Now that everyone's caught up, Matthews can't do squat.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We stopped using the bumper play after Kadri left. We had Tavares kind of there for periods in 2018-19, but they gave up on that very early, because Tavares wasn't that good at it like Kadri and Bozak were.

Now, the play is put Hyman or Simmonds or someone similar at the goal line, give them the puck, and then have them try and jam it far side. That's the only other play besides get it to Matthews and hope he can find a seam to get his wrist shot off.

IMO, the reason they don't drive the net is because of analytics BS: by keeping Matthews, Marner and Rielly/Sandin up high during a goalmouth scrum, they feel they increase the chances of knocking down clearing attempts with the extra area blocked. But that's dumb, because you don't score on PPs by playing it safe. You score by going to the net, giving your skill-guys space, and moving both players and the puck around quickly. And the Leafs haven't been doing any of that, I'd argue, all season. Matthews just managed to catch every team early on in the season by being just a step ahead on the PP. Now that everyone's caught up, Matthews can't do squat.
We had Tavares bumper on the loaded Pp for the latTer part of this year and up until Babcock left. We also saw Joe and Matthews there at various times.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
But the thing is all he does is distribute. 14:40 TOI isn't big minutes but he had just 9 SOG in 9 games and at 1:40pp time was the #2 Leaf D man. 1 SOG against the Habs and that wasn't in his 4:37pp time.
To me he is a much better ES player than pp guy at this point and should not be used ahead of players who have actually scored on the pp. I don't know if he would be more effective with someone else coaching the pp (which applies to the whole club) but thats a question for next season. This team had better success in 17 and 18 with Rielly and the forwards carrying the pp so not sure why they need to reinvent what worked unless we assume other clubs have the "book" on the earlier pp.

Reactions: Gallagbi

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I've seen Sandin live with the Marlies like 5 times. I knew he had an accurate shot. I would watch him in warm ups and he would practice onetimers and he would consistently hit the far top corner. I had no idea he could shoot the puck 98 MPH! Holy crap!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad