Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Yep. Ice veins. Not as good a passer as Kabby but he'll bring more of an all-round game. All the makings for a long career in the blue & white.
Was thinking the same last night regarding Sandin having a Kaberle like feel to him game. I think everyone's biggest criticism of Kabs was that he rarely took the shot on the PP. If last night was any indication of his norm, this will not be an issue with Sandin.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Was thinking the same last night regarding Sandin having a Kaberle like feel to him game. I think everyone's biggest criticism of Kabs was that he rarely took the shot on the PP. If last night was any indication of his norm, this will not be an issue with Sandin.

He is a real smooth operator! Great to see his composure in what was a really tense game.

Could see the confidence that goal game him too, he had a few more efforts in the following PP too.

Mitch Matthews

Sep 13, 2019
His skill set isn’t best for a PP and he doesn’t move the puck quick. To the point, then always this pause, then a 12 foot pass to Marner on the wall. PP has to be bing, bing, bing or shoot. He does neither and I like Reilly. Sandin moves the puck instantly.
Exactly. And there's no deception to his passes. He telegraphs his pass to Marner by squaring his body to Marner and then sending him a weak ass pass. At least fake a slap shot

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Why, because he got a point in a 5-1 blowout? My prediction in this post came true.
He was very good last night and the alternative has less off naive upside with his own defensive Q's. I don't mind if Dermott comes in as an injury replacement, but I don't see why we'd insert him at this point unless Sandin is physically unable to compete. That's the one area Dermott really exceeds Sandin's abilities.

Reactions: stickty111

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why, because he got a point in a 5-1 blowout? My prediction in this post came true.

Not really. Your earlier post implied it was primarily nepotism keeping him in the lineup.

Yet he had a fantastic game, and executed plays, especially on the PP just as his coach said he would.

Sandin is playing because he's one of the best six D men in the organization

Reactions: saffronleaf

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Sandin was phenomenal in Game 2. To me he is one of our unsung heroes. Matthews, Marner Campbell Foligno get all the spotlight but Sandin has singlehandedly fixed our broken power play.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I still remember being pissed we passed on Veleno on draft day. Just goes to show how much smarter Dubas is than me.

Sandin's gonna be such a good player for us; still has to gain some strength but his combination of defensive positioning and offensive instincts make him a solid bet to be a top pairing defenseman for a long time.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We are seeing the tip of the iceberg with Sandin obviously. He’s a gamer. See that charisma in him after they awarded his goal :)

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Agreed. Sandin doesn't skate like Rielly and never will but his deception and ability to hit a one timer is far more important to a pp than his ability to track down Paul Byron in a footrace.. Sandin is here to stay..
Powerful point shots are way overrated and I'm not even sure Sandin has one. He does have high offensive IQ and he gets his shot through traffic and keeps it LOW. This is a universal problem on this team. People shooting high. High shots are pretty useless. Even Spezza, who has the best slapshot on the team IMO, can't keep it low. Sandin shoots low, and he passes well, that skating is a problem though. He's very Larry Murphy.

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Lidstrom had a 90 MPH slapshot, a good 10 MPH off the elite shooters of his day, and had no trouble scoring 10 to 20 goals a year with that shot. You can't stop it if you don't see it coming through the legs or if deflects off a defenseman.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Kudos to Keefe for sticking with Rasmus. He will not be taken out of this lineup again I would imagine..
I wonder how the stealing PP1 minutes and points affects Rielly’s next contract negotiation

6.0 AAV or walk. In 1 year Dermott, Sandin & Liljegren will all be chomping at the bit for bigger roles anyhow

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Rokker

Jun 5, 2016
Hamilton
Sandin getting that PP goal last night was just a thing of beauty.

If he stays on PP1 next year, assuming the PP rebounds... I could see 40+ points out of him.

Hes just too smart not to.

Gotta fix that straight line speed though.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I wonder how the stealing PP1 minutes and points affects Rielly’s next contract negotiation

6.0 AAV or walk. In 1 year Dermott, Sandin & Liljegren will all be chomping at the bit for bigger roles anyhow

Let’s see what happens in the expansion draft first. Not out of the question one of Dermott or Holl are gone.

On that note, Freddy coming off the books likely has us shifting a bit of money to D for next year, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Dermott or Holl out with an upgrade coning in.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
His skill set isn’t best for a PP and he doesn’t move the puck quick. To the point, then always this pause, then a 12 foot pass to Marner on the wall. PP has to be bing, bing, bing or shoot. He does neither and I like Reilly. Sandin moves the puck instantly.

Versteeg had a really good point about Rielly's passing on the PP on Leafs Hour. He compared the Leafs PP to the Lightning PP and basically said Rielly has an issue where he's too close to the left point along the boards and cramming up Marner on the wall. What you want is a bit of separation between he and Marner, so Marner can forehand it to LHD Rielly who can sweep it diagonally down towards the RW wall where a Matthews would be. That's sort of the triangle the Lightning have with Stamkos to Hedman (with the long reach) over to Kucherov. It's just the basics you see on a functional PP. Kind of confirmed my observation Rielly doesn't distribute to his right very efficiently, but the crowding of Marner along the wall was a well taken point too.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Sandin has looked better than many vets but Kaberle was faster and a better skater, more of a passer with a weaker shot and way less physical.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Versteeg had a really good point about Rielly's passing on the PP on Leafs Hour. He compared the Leafs PP to the Lightning PP and basically said Rielly has an issue where he's too close to the left point along the boards and cramming up Marner on the wall. What you want is a bit of separation between he and Marner, so Marner can forehand it to LHD Rielly who can sweep it diagonally down towards the RW wall where a Matthews would be. That's sort of the triangle the Lightning have with Stamkos to Hedman (with the long reach) over to Kucherov. It's just the basics you see on a functional PP. Kind of confirmed my observation Rielly doesn't distribute to his right very efficiently, but the crowding of Marner along the wall was a well taken point too.

Doesn't a lot of that come down to coaching? Like the pp is the most structured part of the offense so is Rielly just doing what Malholtra is telling him to? I'm not saying Rielly can be much better on the pp but the positioning isn't usually a freelance call by the skater. Obviously for Sandin to leapfrog MR the coaches think he can't get there so I wont disagree with that.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Sandin has looked better than many vets but Kaberle was faster and a better skater, more of a passer with a weaker shot and way less physical.
Kaberle was brilliant on the PP. As you said, his shot was a bit of a creampuff, but he sure could dish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad