Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Finally got to see the goal on TV instead of my phone.

Goal was even more impressive than I thought. Bar down on a net that facing down lol. Someone who's good at geometry should analyze that goal. I'd be curious if it's still go in if the net was at 90 degrees.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I thought he was phenomenal last night. His composure in the offensive zone was absolutely fantastic. It seemed like every time he had the puck he immediately found someone with 8 feet of open space and we were able to generate a huge amount of offense as a result. He was on the ice for 7 high danger chances for and 12 regular chances for (only 3 and 5 against!). As the game went on it seemed like the guys were trying to feed him the puck to get more points and he was absolutely thriving under the task. He knows when to pinch, he knows when to stand up on the line, he knows how to find guys, and he knows when to attack the net. Fantastic stuff to watch from a 19 year old defenseman in his 10th game.

Defensively, he made some really great outlet passes and plenty of strong plays along the boards as well, no complaints from me about his defensive zone play. He likes to get physical too, he'll be a good cycle disruptor as he gets more experienced and stronger.

He's good. He's really freaking good. Best defensive prospect we've had since Rielly and I can't wait to see how good he's going to get.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
No chance Sandin is a bottom pairing D-man. He is already better than Dermott. So look at the left side now.

Reilly
Muzzin
Sandin
Dermott

My point is if Muzzin signs with the Leafs, Morgan Reilly will be traded in the summer or at the draft. Sandin has to be in the Top 4 next year at the latest, he is too darn smart to not be.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
No chance Sandin is a bottom pairing D-man. He is already better than Dermott. So look at the left side now.

Reilly
Muzzin
Sandin
Dermott

My point is if Muzzin signs with the Leafs, Morgan Reilly will be traded in the summer or at the draft. Sandin has to be in the Top 4 next year at the latest, he is too darn smart to not be.

I think you do a lot of other things before you trade a Morgan Reilly.

Reactions: Eye Test

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Reilly
Muzzin
Sandin
Dermott

Dermott plays the right side.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Reilly
Muzzin
Sandin
Dermott

Seem to recall the same being said about Dermott after he played a handful of games as well

Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Seem to recall the same being said about Dermott after he played a handful of games as well

I agree, Dermott was overhyped for sure. But I DO think that Sandin has more quality in his game than Dermott does. I think he can actually handle a Top 4 role, whereas Dermott isn't 100% there yet.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I agree, Dermott was overhyped for sure. But I DO think that Sandin has more quality in his game than Dermott does. I think he can actually handle a Top 4 role, whereas Dermott isn't 100% there yet.

Hopefully.

This board board can be pretty quick to anoint the next great hope on defense though.

Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Hopefully.

This board board can be pretty quick to anoint the next great hope on defense though.

Yeah, you're right. He isn't a top pairing D-man yet by any means... but the potential is there.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Reilly
Muzzin
Sandin
Dermott

Mm yes, let's jettison 26yo Morgan Rielly and move into the future with a 31yo physically battered Jake Muzzin as our #1D.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Wasn't Dermott given less minutes with Babcock compared to the minutes Sandin has been getting with Keefe?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Reilly
Muzzin
Sandin
Dermott

I think the general idea has merit, but the timeline is jumping the gun. 40 games + playoffs to evaluate Sandin and anoint him over Rielly is asking to get burned. But if you add in a another full season of stellar play and it starts to look viable.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I think the general idea has merit, but the timeline is jumping the gun. 40 games + playoffs to evaluate Sandin and anoint him over Rielly is asking to get burned. But if you add in a another full season of stellar play and it starts to look viable.

Rasmus Sandin has 6pts in 10 games
Morgan Rielly is expendable

QED

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018

Do hockey analysts even watch hockey any more, who cares if they burn a year of Sandin's contract. He is showing the veterans how it's done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad