Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Among 240 D in the NHL who have played at least 100 5v5 minutes this season - Pts/60:
1) Sandin - 2.31
2) Carlson - 2.163
32) Barrie - 1.22
33) Rielly - 1.19
39) Holl - 1.17

Among 240 D in the NHL who have played at least 100 5v5 minutes this season - GA/60:
8) Sandin - 1.39
69) Ceci - 2.15
162) Dermott - 2.72
168) Holl - 2.76
176) Rielly -2.79

Now, obviously those numbers are not going to hold, but he has been consistently dangerous offensively throughout and consistently responsible defensively (on a team where few other players are). This shouldn't have been a shock to anyone. He will be at a top-4 D level quickly - despite how much Keefe and Dubas want to ease him in. While he is not the strongest, or fastest or most experienced D on the team, he is probably the smartest.

Yet, despite this fanbase (like every fanbase) overexaggerating the abilities and potential of all their prospects, over the last several weeks when a number of people on this forum made up lineups for next year at best he was placed on the third pairing (at best). And back when camp started almost no one thought he was a serious candidate to make the team - even though scouts and the Leafs' players knew that he was. This has been due to a consistent campaign by a small number of posters on here who have repeatedly said that he is bad defensively and was not ready.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Among 240 D in the NHL who have played at least 100 5v5 minutes this season - Pts/60:
1) Sandin - 2.31
2) Carlson - 2.163
32) Barrie - 1.22
33) Rielly - 1.19
39) Holl - 1.17

Among 240 D in the NHL who have played at least 100 5v5 minutes this season - GA/60:
8) Sandin - 1.39
69) Ceci - 2.15
162) Dermott - 2.72
168) Holl - 2.76
176) Rielly -2.79

Now, obviously those numbers are not going to hold, but he has been consistently dangerous offensively throughout and consistently responsible defensively (on a team where few other players are). This shouldn't have been a shock to anyone. He will be at a top-4 D level quickly - despite how much Keefe and Dubas want to ease him in. While he is not the strongest, or fastest or most experienced D on the team, he is probably the smartest.

Yet, despite this fanbase (like every fanbase) overexaggerating the abilities and potential of all their prospects, over the last several weeks when a number of people on this forum made up lineups for next year at best he was placed on the third pairing (at best). And back when camp started almost no one thought he was a serious candidate to make the team - even though scouts and the Leafs' players knew that he was. This has been due to a consistent campaign by a small number of posters on here who have repeatedly said that he is bad defensively and was not ready.

"Now, obviously those numbers are not going to hold..."

*posts anyways*

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
so what? Clearly it's meant to describe how his play has been so far, not a proclamation that Sandin will be the best defenseman in the league now

With a sample size this small (roughly 100min at the NHL level), trying to infer anything from the results is silly, as the results are prone to wild swings.

I'm a big fan of Sandin, by the way, but let's not get carried away and start drawing conclusions or making comparisons before we have enough evidence.

When you have to introduce caveats like the above prior to presenting your findings, it all just feels meaningless. Which it is.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Another NHL team hasn't and probably will never hire him again.
That's why he's working at TSN.

I'm just reading about him and after his NHL career was finished he went onto be the coach at Notre Dame, than Brian Burke hired him as Vice-President of Hockey Operations in July 2009. So he had no previous experience in NHL management before working with the Maple Leafs.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That's why he's working at TSN.

I'm just reading about him and after his NHL career was finished he went onto be the coach at Notre Dame, than Brian Burke hired him as Vice-President of Hockey Operations in July 2009. So he had no previous experience in NHL management before working with the Maple Leafs.
Yikes that makes Burke look bad.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He says the weirdest things.
That breakdown of their first goal was ridiculous. He emphatically answers yes, and then goes on to describe the sequence in a way that makes it clear that it was Marner and Matthews that screwed up, with Holl just doing a pinch like he's supposed to.

I've said it a hundred times. Canada is the home of hockey and has a plethora of smart, knowledgeable, and personable analysts available, yet continues to employ guys like Poulin and Millen. It's very hard to understand. Get Mike Johnston in there. He's a smart guy that not only knows what he's talking about, can actually give you interesting analysis, break down plays in a correct fashion, and he's very good at communicating all that knowledge. Of course, I also like that he's willing to learn and understand even as an analysts. He's another Ray Ferraro in my opinion.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Reminds me of 'our' Poulin. The guy was one of the worst executives in Maple Leafs history, which is an impressive feat.
Poulin wasn't in a high-enough position to even be in the discussion. I mean, the regimes he was part of were terrible, but there is a long-list of GM's ahead of him. Although, not sure how much of the Ballard era you can hold against GM's.

Plus, as bad as people were at being Hockey-OPs they were just bad at their job, no one is worse than any Maple Leaf executive who turned a blind eye to Gordon Stuckless and sexual abuse at the Gardens.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
When Poulin and Jeff O'Neill start going off, i'm always surprised that Bob doesn't just get up and walk away.

"I'm done. I can't do this anymore."

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can someone post this quote from Poulin where he says 'the Leafs should trade Sandin" ?

I fully admit I don't listen that intently to the talking heads but I did listen too that sequence and I never heard that.

Reactions: therealkoho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad