Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There's a difference between not adding enough and gutting it though. I don't think losing Marleau or JVR did much in the intensity/leadership department.

We did lose a number of veterans like Hainsey, Polak, Komarov, Martin over the past couple of years, and you can make your own conclusions about whether Bozak or JVR would count as leaders.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I’m really surprised on how physical Sandin can be. If he can keep up playing with that adds a whole other layer to his game I didn’t think he had.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
We did lose a number of veterans like Hainsey, Polak, Komarov, Martin over the past couple of years, and you can make your own conclusions about whether Bozak or JVR would count as leaders.

Lou's season had quite a bit of veteran players as you've mentioned. Also Plekanec was added, and played fantastic in the post season.

Bozak may have been the best post season player of the bunch, no surprise he played a pretty big role in St Louis championship.

Lou also had Dominic Moore as backup whom had lots of post season experience.

Last year leafs had Clifford, Muzzin, Tavares, Barrie, Spezza.... Clifford played 3 mins the first game and Muzzin got hurt in the second game. So essentially the leafs went in with Spezza, Tavares, Barrie, muzzin/Clifford and a bunch of pretty green guys. Robertson, Holl, Engvall, Mikheyev, johnsson, Dermott, Ceci.

Dubas had the chance to sign Bogosian for nothing but money late last season but last minute opted not to and instead went with youth... as a result Marincin ended up getting 3 glorious post season games.

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
This kid is the real deal. Once he gets some time under his belt he will be a stud.

Reactions: saltming

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
He's better than Dermott and Holl. He may not be a healthy scratch for next 7 years. He has arrived

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Hainsey and Polak had precisely two playoff runs of note between them, Komarov and Martin had 30-some playoff games to their names combined. I just don't see how replacing those guys with Tavares, Muzzin, Clifford, and Spezza in the room is a net loss in terms of experience, leadership, and intensity. We should have added Bogosian and others, but I'm not buying that letting Hainsey and his 1 playoff series in 15 seasons walk is gutting the kind of leadership that works in the playoffs.

Reactions: Mitchy

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I’m in no way comparing the kid to Heiskanen but he plays with same poise that Heiskanen did in his rookie season. I really wouldn’t mind him and Liljegren on the same pairing cause Lilypad can pick up a thing or two from Sandman

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Bogosian has been surprisingly good this season and I think in the playoffs he becomes even more important. I would put Sandin in over Dermott though as I believe Sandin can make more of an impact on the game.
Dermott is finally where he belongs a no 6 -7 d man
Bogosian comes back dermott or hall are out
Sandin is a future top 3 man
He can qb a powerplay

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
With Sandman emerging, I can see them moving Rielly or leaving Muzzin exposed in the expansion draft.

Muzzin/Rielly Brodie
Sandman Lily/Holl
Dermott Bogo

So many options for Dubas this offseason.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's better than Dermott and Holl. He may not be a healthy scratch for next 7 years. He has arrived
Close and hopefully soon he will pass those guys, but he's not quite there yet.
His brain processes faster than them offensively but the defensive side is still getting up to speed.
That said I have no doubts it will come quickly

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It is early so we need to see more of him but after last night, kid looks like he can be a not so soft and better in his own zone, Morgan Rielly.

Reactions: saltming

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Wait let me get this straight... you say "that's far from everyone" refusing to name anymore players (yet you'd expect it to be easy since you said "Far from everyone" then proceed to ask me for specific players... oh then you add the word "amazing".... twisting my words.
I notice that in all of those words, you refused to give an actual answer. Let's get this straight - you are the one that came into a Sandin thread, and decided to throw around false accusations about Dubas. You claimed, and I quote, that he "gutted all the experience from the team". You provided ZERO names or substantiation.

I pointed out some pretty important leadership/experience players that Dubas brought in in that short period of time, that you seemed to have conveniently forgotten about. This included a former and current captain, a 30-year old cup winning defenseman, and a player near the top of the active games played leaderboard, representing three different forms of experience.

Your response was to mock those players and downplay their importance, so after providing multiple names to you, I asked for the names that Dubas "gutted" from the team, that led you to your statement in the first place. Names that clearly would have to be better leaders or more experienced than the names I mentioned, since you mocked them and suggested they weren't important.

However, it doesn't seem like you actually have anything to back up your statement, as you refuse to provide any names, even while demanding more names from me. On top of Tavares, Muzzin, and Spezza, we could add Ceci and Barrie were also players with ~500 games each, providing experience to the back end when many just wanted to throw our young players in... Or we could talk about two time Stanley Cup champion Clifford...

It's your turn. You've got quite a few to name at this point, if we're talking "gutted".
Dubas himself felt that he had neglected to provide adequate leadership on last year's team in the offseason presser.
As somebody that deflects all blame onto himself, deserved or not, he said that he should have added even more. That is not even remotely close to the same thing as "gutting our team" of it, as was falsely suggested.

The funny thing is, if you look past that sentence in the article that you cherry-picked, Dubas specifically mentions the leadership that Spezza and Muzzin (two of the players I mentioned, that Dubas brought in in earlier years) have provided.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It is early so we need to see more of him but after last night, kid looks like he can be a not so soft and better in his own zone, Morgan Rielly.
He processes the game at a very high level and it looks like he is getting stronger. When he becomes a bulldog he will be 1st pair quality

Reactions: ToneDog

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I notice that in all of those words, you refused to give an actual answer. Let's get this straight - you are the one that came into a Sandin thread, and decided to throw around false accusations about Dubas. You claimed, and I quote, that he "gutted all the experience from the team". You provided ZERO names or substantiation.

I pointed out some pretty important leadership/experience players that Dubas brought in in that short period of time, that you seemed to have conveniently forgotten about. This included a former and current captain, a 30-year old cup winning defenseman, and a player near the top of the active games played leaderboard, representing three different forms of experience.

Your response was to mock those players and downplay their importance, so after providing multiple names to you, I asked for the names that Dubas "gutted" from the team, that led you to your statement in the first place. Names that clearly would have to be better leaders or more experienced than the names I mentioned, since you mocked them and suggested they weren't important.

However, it doesn't seem like you actually have anything to back up your statement, as you refuse to provide any names, even while demanding more names from me. On top of Tavares, Muzzin, and Spezza, we could add Ceci and Barrie were also players with ~500 games each, providing experience to the back end when many just wanted to throw our young players in... Or we could talk about two time Stanley Cup champion Clifford...

It's your turn. You've got quite a few to name at this point, if we're talking "gutted".

As somebody that deflects all blame onto himself, deserved or not, he said that he should have added even more. That is not even remotely close to the same thing as "gutting our team" of it, as was falsely suggested.

The funny thing is, if you look past that sentence in the article that you cherry-picked, Dubas specifically mentions the leadership that Spezza and Muzzin (two of the players I mentioned, that Dubas brought in in earlier years) have provided.

In addition to the part about Dubas saying he should have brought in more leadership, I doubt he’s implying that he thinks overpaying Marleau, Martin, and Komarov again would have taken this team to the next level, which is what I’m assuming these posters are referring to about “gutting” the team’s leadership. Imagine trying to defend those players on those contracts lol

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I’m really surprised on how physical Sandin can be. If he can keep up playing with that adds a whole other layer to his game I didn’t think he had.
He's always been physical. He's a pretty feisty player. I've seen him lay a bunch of guys out in the AHL. Was also at the game when he fought Lind.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He’s looked very good in the lineup, definitely proving he belongs in the NHL.

Le Magnifique

Feb 22, 2021
Relax. He's played enough NHL games to count on a single hand.
The moment he has an obvious bad game, you guys will be calling for him to be demoted/traded/waved.
This is why Toronto fans get the bad wrap - you all have severe bi-polar disorder.

Give him some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad