Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
At least we have a new coach (one that players actually like). This coming out of Risto's mouth would be discouraging if we still had Phil in charge.

There were players in Nashville that liked Housley as well.

As always, it's about THIS group of guys and if they like Krueger (their coach).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There were players in Nashville that liked Housley as well.

As always, it's about THIS group of guys and if they like Krueger (their coach).

Yeah, don’t think the players never expressed that they disliked Phil. Disco? That seems to have been what got him ousted, but I don’t think that was the case with Housley.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Coaching seems to have big impact on Risto's even going back to his days playing in Finland.
2011-12 TPS Turku, coach Pekka Virta, Risto was -21 in 40 games
202-13 TPS Turku, Virta was replaced after 13 games by Juha Pajuoja, Risto was -7 in 52 games

2013-14 Nolan, Risto -32
2014-15 Bylsma, Risto -21
2015-16 Bylsma, Risto -9*
2016-17 Housley, -25
2017-18 Housley, -41

*recorded highest points total, 45

I don't know anything about the Finnish coaches. But it seems clear that Ristolainen was developing in Bylsma's system.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018

Interesting read. Here is the most important line, in my view:

"A smarter team will find a way to make use of his skill set – one that’s more catered to a second-pairing role and some speciality work on the power play."

At this point the best case scenario is that the Sabres under Krueger become the type of "smarter" team that Yost refers to in that sentence.

Reactions: Fearnot and Jim Bob

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Interesting read. Here is the most important line, in my view:

"A smarter team will find a way to make use of his skill set – one that’s more catered to a second-pairing role and some speciality work on the power play."

At this point the best case scenario is that the Sabres under Krueger become the type of "smarter" team that Yost refers to in that sentence.
It will be very interesting to see how the pairs play out if they keep him. Someone like Montour is a better option for that 2nd pairing offensive role described in the article. Risto fighting it out for ice time with Montour while switching between 2nd and 3rd pair would be entertaining. At least until Bogo returned.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Coaching seems to have big impact on Risto's even going back to his days playing in Finland.
2011-12 TPS Turku, coach Pekka Virta, Risto was -21 in 40 games
202-13 TPS Turku, Virta was replaced after 13 games by Juha Pajuoja, Risto was -7 in 52 games

2013-14 Nolan, Risto -32
2014-15 Bylsma, Risto -21
2015-16 Bylsma, Risto -9*
2016-17 Housley, -25
2017-18 Housley, -41

*recorded highest points total, 45

I don't know anything about the Finnish coaches. But it seems clear that Ristolainen was developing in Bylsma's system.

Nolan was for 13-14 and 14-15
Bylsma was for 15-16 seaon and 16-17 seasons
Housley was 17-18 and 18-19 seasons

Still remains, under Bylsma, Risto probably had his best season. But those numbers were largely contributed to a good PP (Risto had 26 PP points (1 goal, 25 assists IIRC))

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Although TPS is a big organization in Finland they were struggling some years ago. In those two seasons they were really bad finishing the regular season in the 10th and 13th place. You don't do well in the plus/minus statistics if you play for a terrible team.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Nolan was for 13-14 and 14-15
Bylsma was for 15-16 seaon and 16-17 seasons
Housley was 17-18 and 18-19 seasons

Still remains, under Bylsma, Risto probably had his best season. But those numbers were largely contributed to a good PP (Risto had 26 PP points (1 goal, 25 assists IIRC))
I was looking at the plus/minus. The PP doesn't effect it. Krueger ought to be looking at tapes and analytics data from the 2016-17 season and see how Ristolainen was used. A -9 was actually respectable on that team.
Buffalo Sabres 2016-17 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Reactions: brian_griffin

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Was there additional reporting on Ristolainen from Finland since the original translation, or is the latest Risto media activity still the same information.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Was there additional reporting on Ristolainen from Finland since the original translation, or is the latest Risto media activity still the same information.

Some old stuff. It's the slow NHL news season, so they need to recycle stuff to have something to talk about.

The only new part was getting to talk to Botts about it when they had the jersey reveal.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Some old stuff. It's the slow NHL news season, so they need to recycle stuff to have something to talk about.

The only new part was getting to talk to Botts about it when they had the jersey reveal.

... and Kruger.

Nothing that was said about Risto from either of them is really a equivocal denial that he's on the block or a resounding vote that he's on the roster. In fact, both make me believe that he's basically on this team unless the right package comes along, but they are moving forward with plans to build around Dahlin and others.

This means best case is he's getting thrown back into the pool and needs to take his job back on this team, and worst case he's a depth guy until someone either temps them with a value package that would make the team better now, or he is relegated to a lower pairing by others leap-frogging him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
... and Kruger.

Nothing that was said about Risto from either of them is really a equivocal denial that he's on the block or a resounding vote that he's on the roster. In fact, both make me believe that he's basically on this team unless the right package comes along, but they are moving forward with plans to build around Dahlin and others.

This means best case is he's getting thrown back into the pool and needs to take his job back on this team, and worst case he's a depth guy until someone either temps them with a value package that would make the team better now, or he is relegated to a lower pairing by others leap-frogging him.

It sounded to me like they weren't expecting to get a good offer for him, so they were going to move forward with the idea that they need to put him in the best situation possible.

Which is what they should be saying given the current situation.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

He also says the Sabres hope to move Risto before the season.

It seems like the preference from both parties is to get a trade done and Botterill has been trying to but if theres no offers that are good enough it may continue on into the season.

I'm hoping it's just the RFAs holding it up, otherwise the offers for Risto so far probably suck.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

He also says the Sabres hope to move Risto before the season.

It seems like the preference from both parties is to get a trade done and Botterill has been trying to but if theres no offers that are good enough it may continue on into the season.

I'm hoping it's just the RFAs holding it up, otherwise the offers for Risto so far probably suck.

Even if that's the case, there's no reason to trade him now. Let's see how he does under Krueger (hopefully with proper usage for once), and get what we can for him at the trade deadline if it comes to that.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Botterill wants at least a Stu Barnesian return.
BENCHED BARNABY THINKS HE'S DONE WITH SABRES
TBN said:
"Lindy is a good guy and Darcy is a good guy," Barnaby said. "It's a situation where I haven't played up to par. Sometimes it's better for them to make a deal and improve the team. They can find someone that can help this team win."
Did Barnaby play on the same teams as Botterill? Edit: no, just looked it up. Barnaby predated Botterill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad