Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Don't think the Mantha rumors will come true. Mantha playing well.

Whoever brought up the Mantha rumors is deluded. Probably some wishful thinking from the Sabres side. 6'5" Power forwards like him who have the size, strength, speed(skating ability), physicality, reach and hands to overpower defenders and score at will, are very rare.

Mantha scored 81 goals in 81 games(regular season and playoffs combined) in his final year in juniors. It took him awhile to adjust to the pros, but now that he has, he is exhibiting the same dominance he had in juniors.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Whoever brought up the Mantha rumors is deluded. Probably some wishful thinking from the Sabres side. 6'5" Power forwards like him who have the size, speed(skating ability), physicality, reach and hands to overpower defenders and score at will, are very rare.

Mantha scored 82 goals in 82 games(regular season and playoffs combined) in his final year in juniors. It took him awhile to adjust to the pros, but now that he has, he is exhibiting the same dominance he had in juniors.

Like Albino Giraffe rare.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Like Albino Giraffe rare.

Mantha has Rocket Richard, Selke and Hart Trophy potential. No way the Redwings will ever consider trading him. Unlike Ristolainen, he is also very responsible in the defensive zone and was listed by some as a candidate for the Selke trophy.

Last edited:

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Slow your roll, buddy

It is all potential at the moment of course. It takes consistent performances to be in the running for those NHL awards.

It all clicked for him at the end of last season when he scored 8 goals, and 7 assists in 8 games to finish the season many against playoff bound teams, went to the World Championships and scored 7 goals and 7 assists in 9 games for Canada, and has started the NHL season this year with 5 goals and 2 assists in 2 games so far.

It is hard not to get excited with those kind of numbers, which is kind of similar to the numbers he got in his final season of juniors when he scored 81 goals in 81 games for both the regular season and playoffs combined and won all kinds of awards.

Last edited:

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I’m not holding my breath that a now 25 year old 6’5 winger who capped out at 48pts is all the sudden going to be a perennial Hart, Rocket and Selke finalist. A Risto for Mantha trade was always a highly ambitious ask from a Sabres fan perspective. Mantha is a fine player but calling him a potential Rocket, Hart, and Selke winner is even more ambitious.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I’m not holding my breath that a now 25 year old 6’5 winger who capped out at 48pts is all the sudden going to be a perennial Hart, Rocket and Selke finalist. A Risto for Mantha trade was always a highly ambitious ask from a Sabres fan perspective. Mantha is a fine player but calling him a potential Rocket, Hart, and Selke winner is even more ambitious.

I agree. They are very ambitious.

As I said it is all potential at the moment, but the numbers he has had lately(last season, World Championships and this season) if he keeps them going throughout the season, moving forward will give him a legs up for consideration for one of those awards at least, particularly for the Richard trophy for most goals in a season.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I agree. They are very ambitious.

As I said it is all potential at the moment, but the numbers he has had lately if he keeps them going throughout the season, moving forward will give him a legs up for consideration for one of those awards at least, particularly for the Richard trophy for most goals in the season.
Yeah, I think that if he keeps up a 3.5 PPG rate for the whole season, he might be under consideration for one of those awards. :laugh:

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Mantha has Rocket Richard, Selke and Hart Trophy potential. No way the Redwings will ever consider trading him. Unlike Ristolainen, he is also very responsible in the defensive zone and was listed by some as a candidate for the Selke trophy.
Whoa daisey..He was considered a high scorer with questionablework ethic at the time .Glad he is turning into a force but slow down on hart and selke geez

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Whoa daisey..He was considered a high scorer with questionablework ethic at the time .Glad he is turning into a force but slow down on hart and selke geez

Actually he has been mentioned by some in the media already as a possible Selke Trophy candidate last season because of his responsible 2 way play. If he keeps his goal scoring streak going, I think he would be a good candidate for the Richard by the end of the season assuming he stays healthy. As for the Hart, I agree, that will be a tall order to achieve but I think it is still possible somewhere down the line if he continues at this pace he has been lately.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Scotty Bowman said Tyler Myers was the best skating big man he has ever seen. Others in the media also said it so it must be true.

Hoping for another solid game by Risto. Feels nice having 4 RHD who are all capable of playing big minutes if need be. It feels strange that Risto is our 3rd youngest dman (Dahlin, Joki) even though he has over 420 games of experience.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

How did you interpret my post as "Red Wings should trade Manta for Risto" ?

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
How did you interpret my post as "Red Wings should trade Manta for Risto" ?

Sorry, it wasn't your post. I was just responding to the rumors here and elsewhere of a possible trade a few weeks ago and the one comment made here. It even made it to the Redwings boards. It wasn't considered serious there though.

Thanks for the funny comparison although an albino gorilla would be more apt because of Mantha's size and strength.

Anyways the mod is right. This is a Risto board, so we should just stick to that topic.

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Sabres fans every summer: "Ristolainen is finally going to play fewer minutes, can't wait!"

Sabres fans every October: "Here's 25 reasons why Ristolainen playing 25 minutes is actually good"

Edit: before everyone jumps down my throat, this has nothing to do with how he has played, only how much he has played

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Sabres fans every summer: "Ristolainen is finally going to play fewer minutes, can't wait!"

Sabres fans every October: "Here's 25 reasons why Ristolainen playing 25 minutes is actually good"

Edit: before everyone jumps down my throat, this has nothing to do with how he has played, only how much he has played

Montour out injured and having a rookie in his place seems to be a pretty justifiable reason. Also, if he can rehab his trade value, now is the time.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Montour out injured and having a rookie in his place seems to be a pretty justifiable reason. Also, if he can rehab his trade value, now is the time.

eh...even with Montour out and wanting to give Joki lighter minutes, 25 mins a game is too much. We do have this guy named Colin Miller who seems pretty good and is getting pretty light minutes.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad