Value of: Rasmus Ristolainen to Winnipeg

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Jets don’t need a D who can start some high OZ starts......they have Pionk for that and who has been great (arguably our best D this year). Jets need someone who is going to step into high Def zone starts.......not Ristolainen strong suit. Ristolainen would just add to the problems in the defensive zone not help them.

Jets fans are not debating Ristolainen value overall, they’re arguing his fit & value to the Jets.....big difference.
Fair enough. I look at the right side of your defense and see very little not only on the roster, but in the system. Assuming Niku is playing out of position. Hell it looks like you could use more than one defenseman on that side. I wouldn't say all Jets fans are simply evaluating Risto's worth to their team, many enjoy dumping on what a "garbage player" he is. Instead of just saying: "Not a great fit here".

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Tyler Myers 2.0 isn’t really what the Jets need IMO.

What they actually need is coach that recognises what the team already has, and adjusts his system to accommodate a smaller more skilled/mobile D, instead of trying to get "big" D-men who are not overly physical or "physical" D-men who suck.

Ouch XD XD XD

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Fair enough. I look at the right side of your defense and see very little not only on the roster, but in the system. Assuming Niku is playing out of position. Hell it looks like you could use more than one defenseman on that side. I wouldn't say all Jets fans are simply evaluating Risto's worth to their team, many enjoy dumping on what a "garbage player" he is. Instead of just saying: "Not a great fit here".

Jets have three very good D prospects in their system, not blue chipper D or big household names so I'm not surprised you didn't realize that. More then one can play both sides, albeit all three are left handed. No one is expecting all three to make it to NHL top 4, but even a pessimist would have to say at least one will. Bottom pairing D we have lots no need for that. Jets have two top 4 now on the roster. Now that buff is gone Jets ideally need two top 4 D via trade/FA/internal development.

1) Will the Jets sign a FA? Maybe

2) Will one of the three internal prospects make the roster next year? Good chance yes

3) Will the Jets trade for one top 4 D? Maybe

Looking at option 3 above, b/c that's what we're discussing in this thread we need to look at what the Jets have already to determine what they need if they went via trade route. Josh & Pionk are easily good top 4 D, Josh is a two way LHD, Pionk is a offensive RHD that isn't bad but isn't great in the D zone. Ristolainen is a offensive D who excels more in the offensive zone and on the PP and is weak/isn't strong in the defensive zone. Jets biggest need is a defensive D on the right side, which is exactly what Ristolainen isn't. So trading to get Ristolainen is purely a waste of resources and a bad idea. Ristolainen needs to go to a team who can ideally play him in roles where he can excel which is more with O zone starts and 1PP......he won't get that on the Jets we already have Pionk for that role.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Jets have three very good D prospects in their system, not blue chipper D or big household names so I'm not surprised you didn't realize that. More then one can play both sides, albeit all three are left handed. No one is expecting all three to make it to NHL top 4, but even a pessimist would have to say at least one will. Bottom pairing D we have lots no need for that. Jets have two top 4 now on the roster. Now that buff is gone Jets ideally need two top 4 D via trade/FA/internal development.

2) Will one of the three internal prospects make the roster next year? Good chance yes

Looking at option 3 above, b/c that's what we're discussing in this thread we need to look at what the Jets have already to determine what they need if they went via trade route. Josh & Pionk are easily good top 4 D, Josh is a two way LHD, Pionk is a offensive RHD that isn't bad but isn't great in the D zone. Ristolainen is a offensive D who excels more in the offensive zone and on the PP and is weak/isn't strong in the defensive zone. Jets biggest need is a defensive D on the right side, which is exactly what Ristolainen isn't. So trading to get Ristolainen is purely a waste of resources and a bad idea. Ristolainen needs to go to a team who can ideally play him in roles where he can excel which is more with O zone starts and 1PP......he won't get that on the Jets we already have Pionk for that role.
I agree. What they need is a Shea Weber type player.

Reactions: bennylundholm

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
How about something with Montour from Buffalo and one of Copp or Roslovic from Winnipeg? Maybe a small+ from the Jets?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
At least summer Ristolainen will be demanding trade. It has been noted last 2 summer Ristolainen wants out from Buffalo. He wants to compete and win.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

I'm aware of the defensive prospects the Jets have in their system. As you said they are all LHD. If the coach is comfortable playing LHD on the right side then that's a solution. I get that you already have one defenseman on your team that plays a very similar role to that of Risto, but you have very little behind that defenseman. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have another similar player who can man the 2nd PP, and eat up additional OZ starts (Pionk can't play 60 minutes a night). Is getting a more defensive defenseman probably a higher priority? Probably.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm aware of the defensive prospects the Jets have in their system. As you said they are all LHD. If the coach is comfortable playing LHD on the right side then that's a solution. I get that you already have one defenseman on your team that plays a very similar role to that of Risto, but you have very little behind that defenseman. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have another similar player who can man the 2nd PP, and eat up additional OZ starts (Pionk can't play 60 minutes a night). Is getting a more defensive defenseman probably a higher priority? Probably.

If one can get a defensive RHD for a similar cost as Ristolainen would cost, yes it's better to go the defensive route. That's what I've said all along, as other Jets fans have said. If we didn't already have Pionk then maybe Ristolainen might be an option. Cheers

Reactions: is the answer jesus

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think Ristolainen is going to Anaheim or Tampa.

Anaheim had Murray and he doesn’t rely on analytics as much. They need a RHD and PP defenseman.

Tampa showed interest last off season. They have a good track record of bringing in poor analytical players and getting them to play solid hockey.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

You are not that aware...

Jets have Kovacevic and Gawanke at RHD. Not NHL ready but legit prospects, playing in their first pro year with the Moose.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Anaheim had Murray and he doesn’t rely on analytics as much. They need a RHD and PP defenseman.

Tampa showed interest last off season. They have a good track record of bringing in poor analytical players and getting them to play solid hockey.

I have a hard time picturing Risto being traded within the division. I doubt the Sabres want to see him ragdoll their players for the next 2 (or more) years.
And that's even if he's traded. I'd sooner move Montour to clear our logjam of RHD, but it's not clear to me that Botterill intends to move anyone to fix that problem.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
You are not that aware...

Jets have Kovacevic and Gawanke at RHD. Not NHL ready but legit prospects, playing in their first pro year with the Moose.
I won't pretend to know everything about a teams prospects, but neither one of those guys stand out in a meaningful way. Every team in the league has a couple B prospects like that, that may become an NHL player.

Reactions: TS Quint

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Risto to Tampa has never made sense and will never make sense. For starters we currently can’t afford to keep all the key RFAs we already have, and will have an extremely difficult time doing so even after we trade our one high-priced complementary player who doesn’t have a full NTC - we certainly aren’t going to add to the issue by bringing in another high-priced player who would be a lower priority than any of them. Then there’s the fact that even if the cap wasn’t an issue, Risto doesn’t come close to filling a need for us. If there’s one thing we aren’t lacking from our defense it’s offensive firepower, and while it’s not at all a pressing need if we were going to bring in anyone defensively it would be a strong defensive stay-at-home type to play opposite Hedman - you know, the polar opposite of what Risto is.

In short I challenge anybody here to give me a single reason why the Lightning would wreck their cap situation, costing them a better player than Risto, just so we can have a $5.4M defenseman playing on our bottom pairing and at best getting time on our 2nd PP unit (and even then, only as long as we continue to use two defensemen on it.)

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
At least summer Ristolainen will be demanding trade. It has been noted last 2 summer Ristolainen wants out from Buffalo. He wants to compete and win.
Risto lead the Sabres in TOI since 15/16, maybe he needs to look in the mirror.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Risto lead the Sabres in TOI since 15/16, maybe he needs to look in the mirror.
Yes, but my point was he has said in finnish interviews he wants to win. This talk has gone 2 offseason from him. Not gonna suprise him demanding trade and this being his last season in Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad