Confirmed with Link: Rasmus Kupari 2 years 1 million aav

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Schmidt isn't going anywhere at this point unless Chevy is willing to eat as much shit coming back, or he pays a big price in futures for someone to take on the contract. All teams trying to compete have their backs against the cap. Teams that aren't in win now will want significant futures to take on close to $6 M over each of the next 2 seasons.
Schmidt actually helps the team when he's on the ice. At his contract nobody is going to pay for him. Pionk, on the other hand, a team might actually pay for and he's a net negative when he's on the ice.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think DD is extended (2 years) before TC.

Who's playing the right side?
I’d easily re-sign DeMelo for another 2-3 years with a fair raise. They’re many worse defenders making much more in the NHL. I’d also keep Dillon but I don’t think there is any chance he stays. The guys we need to move are Schmidt and/or Pionk though the cost of moving them in a flat cap is problematic.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
And we traded up to get him no less!
Cant teach size!
Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but a few names drafted AFTER Stanley:
Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou, Alex Debrincat, Samuel Girard, Filip Hronek, Adam Fox...
Brutal.
Wonder how many would sign in wpg. Fix no.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Cant teach size!
Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou, Alex Debrincat, Samuel Girard, Filip Hronek, Adam Fox...
Brutal.
I agree hindsight is 20/20 but I call this one a big swing and miss by our scouts. Reminds me of the Bautin pick from Jets 1.0

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think DD is extended (2 years) before TC.

Who's playing the right side?
I think either could, but I was thinking the Jets develop Ville on the right side. There’s a shortage on the right side of NHL ready dmen in the organization. Ville would have plenty of opportunity and ice on the right side, if Schmidt and/or Pionk were moved.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think either could, but I was thinking the Jets develop Ville on the right side. There’s a shortage on the right side of NHL ready dmen in the organization. Ville would have plenty of opportunity and ice on the right side, if Schmidt and/or Pionk were moved.
He can't make the team on the left side and you want to play him on the right side?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Schmidt isn't going anywhere at this point unless Chevy is willing to eat as much shit coming back, or he pays a big price in futures for someone to take on the contract. All teams trying to compete have their backs against the cap. Teams that aren't in win now will want significant futures to take on close to $6 M over each of the next 2 seasons.
If I was Chevy….. I would agree to take on an over paid forward to move in from Schmidt ( an over paid ) defenceman.

Shuffle the deck a bit and make some room on a defence….

Reactions: GNP and Luc Labelle

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Schmidt actually helps the team when he's on the ice. At his contract nobody is going to pay for him. Pionk, on the other hand, a team might actually pay for and he's a net negative when he's on the ice.

The biggest problem with both Pionk and Schmidt is their contracts, not so much their ability/play. Salary retention should make them moveable. Might even get a bit of a return, rather than paying futures to move them.

I think they are staying because Jets are not confident that the prospects can step in, right or wrong.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It's kind of rough to have all the RFAs sign deals of the exact same length, as it sets up another rough offseason in 2025. But with Kupari, there isn't a body of work that would support a longer deal yet, so I'll allow it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's kind of rough to have all the RFAs sign deals of the exact same length, as it sets up another rough offseason in 2025. But with Kupari, there isn't a body of work that would support a longer deal yet, so I'll allow it.

Big of you. :sarcasm: Thanks. :laugh:

Reactions: Maukkis

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The biggest problem with both Pionk and Schmidt is their contracts, not so much their ability/play. Salary retention should make them moveable. Might even get a bit of a return, rather than paying futures to move them.

I think they are staying because Jets are not confident that the prospects can step in, right or wrong.
marvel-is-it-though.gif

I mean Pionk in particular has been pretty bad at ES with whomever he's been paired with for a couple of seasons now.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Cant teach size!
Brutal.
Interestingly, in a voted "redraft" run by JFresh Stanley ended up at #34 in a redraft. So, there were a handful of top players that were drafted later, but most teams whiffed on them in the 1st. There were several D that dropped much more, such as Clague and Timmins and Cholowski, that many fans liked more than Stanley right around the draft.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He can't make the team on the left side and you want to play him on the right side?
Yup. He’s likely more comfortable on the right side having played significant minutes there in Finland. And the left side has Morrissey and Samberg playing key roles, leaving less opportunity for Ville, imo.

Ville’s greatest opportunity may be on the right side. Other than DeMelo, upgrades are needed on right side.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
marvel-is-it-though.gif

I mean Pionk in particular has been pretty bad at ES with whomever he's been paired with for a couple of seasons now.

Sure - he is the weakest link. But he was good in the PO and he does bring some offense.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Interestingly, in a voted "redraft" run by JFresh Stanley ended up at #34 in a redraft. So, there were a handful of top players that were drafted later, but most teams whiffed on them in the 1st. There were several D that dropped much more, such as Clague and Timmins and Cholowski, that many fans liked more than Stanley right around the draft.
Stanley pick wouldn't be a huge deal if we didn't package two picks for him... just to move up four spots - I'd say it was the first time the Jets moved away from drafting BPA

Reactions: Whileee

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stanley pick wouldn't be a huge deal if we didn't package two picks for him... just to move up four spots - I'd say it was the first time the Jets moved away from drafting BPA

They didn't move away from BPA. They thought he was it. And by such a margin it justified trading up to get him.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

So the same as every other year with the Jets? :)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup. He’s likely more comfortable on the right side having played significant minutes there in Finland. And the left side has Morrissey and Samberg playing key roles, leaving less opportunity for Ville, imo.

Ville’s greatest opportunity may be on the right side. Other than DeMelo, upgrades are needed on right side.
Villie has to be much better in his own zone at the NHL level or nothing else will matter. If he can start showing he can play defense against NHL players I think the organization will bend sideways to give him opportunities.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad