Prospect Info: Rasmus Kumpulainen, C, 53rd Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
WTH is going on with Khusnutdinov? He's got to get away from that team, ASAP. You can't tell me that a guy who scored over 40 pts. last year with a good defensive game all of a sudden forgot how to play.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

HobeyBroten

Jul 12, 2012
WTH is going on with Khusnutdinov? He's got to get away from that team, ASAP. You can't tell me that a guy who scored over 40 pts. last year with a good defensive game all of a sudden forgot how to play.
Looks like he got traded to HC Sochi. Hopefully he will get more playing time and not be healthy scratched.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Good article on Kumpulainen on the Athletic.

-Generals got interested in Kumpulainen after his WJC U18
-Already physically strong despite young age
-Good at possessing and protecting the puck

He kind of sounds like a Koivu lite, with less offense and more physicality

Reactions: Minnesota and TaLoN

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Signed his ELC:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Was just coming to post the same...

View attachment 837858
1000000394.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BagHead

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Very nice, may need some time and patience but there is a lot to like with him IMO and high potential. Smart with the puck and great at shielding off defenders, with his size it’s easy to see him making an impact if his skating can catch up, and I have already seen significant progress in that regard this season.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Do you think they’ll bring him up to the big leagues as a black ace? Can they even do that?

I don’t think he’ll get playing time, but exposure to the culture of the NHL would likely do more good than harm.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Do you think they’ll bring him up to the big leagues as a black ace? Can they even do that?

I don’t think he’ll get playing time, but exposure to the culture of the NHL would likely do more good than harm.

AHL is more likely if they get the visa in order. It'll give him a chance to play in a men's league and a better grip of what he needs to do in the offseason training.

It also gives the team a chance to gauge if they want him in Iowa or let him go back to the OHL next year. He's a post draft foreign signing so he falls under a different ruleset than the CHL or NHL transfer rule. He's an August b-day, so he's young for his draft class.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Like his game - if his skating improves, his potential increases quite a bit IMO. Big body, good puck protection, good shot, etc.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I’d say it’s a solid first year. PPG in the CHL isn’t that impressive for an NHL prospect.
Doesn’t it also depends on the league? I seem to recall some are WAY more offensive-minded than others

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Doesn’t it also depends on the league? I seem to recall some are WAY more offensive-minded than others
Probably true. But I don’t think that stat line merits an assessment of “terrific” in any of the 3 leagues

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Probably true. But I don’t think that stat line merits an assessment of “terrific” in any of the 3 leagues
Don’t disagree. I’d say good would be appropriate.

Unless it’s in the league (OHL? WHL?) where everyone has 300 points.

Reactions: MNRube

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I’d say it’s a solid first year. PPG in the CHL isn’t that impressive for an NHL prospect.

First season on NA ice and a ~PPG, the offence is there. So time to move to a harder league and learn the rest of the game.

He's listed at 6'2" 190 lbs, he needs to be in a men's league (AHL, Liiga, etc). The CHL is just too small/young for him to make another big step.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
First season on NA ice and a ~PPG, the offence is there. So time to move to a harder league and learn the rest of the game.

He's listed at 6'2" 190 lbs, he needs to be in a men's league (AHL, Liiga, etc). The CHL is just too small/young for him to make another big step.
Yah. On that note i think that sort of thing (big 19+20 year olds dominating younger chl players) could be a significant part of prince george cougars success & some part of heidts pt totals. Zack Funk, Ondrej Becher, Koehnn Ziemmer and last year Chase Wheatcroft with that group too.

Itd be fun to watch oshawa do something similar with kumpulainen and ritchie but probably not a lot of value in it

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
so some of you think moving to a foreign country is easy & seamless? huh i'd like to see any of you get transferred for your job and see if you have ZERO issues your first year. good luck with that.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

If he was at 1.5 PPG I’d agree. But I like having him stay there another year and to dominate so he can cultivate some offense. He could probably hang in the AHL, but he would be fighting for life and not learning how to score. One more year in the CHL then he makes the jump. No reason he shouldn’t be a top player in the OHL next year

so some of you think moving to a foreign country is easy & seamless? huh i'd like to see any of you get transferred for your job and see if you have ZERO issues your first year. good luck with that.
Nobody once said or inferred that. You said he had a “terrific” year. That is a bit much. He had a solid year given the circumstances you mentioned. But you’d like to see more production in a D+1 season in that league to be throwing around superlatives like terrific

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If he was at 1.5 PPG I’d agree. But I like having him stay there another year and to dominate so he can cultivate some offense. He could probably hang in the AHL, but he would be fighting for life and not learning how to score. One more year in the CHL then he makes the jump. No reason he shouldn’t be a top player in the OHL next year

The CHL is an awful developmental league once a player is at the PPG mark, after that the totals are meaningless to me. All he's going to learn there is bad habits because he can ragdoll half the league.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
The CHL is an awful developmental league once a player is at the PPG mark, after that the totals are meaningless to me. All he's going to learn there is bad habits because he can ragdoll half the league.
If can ragdoll half the league, he would’ve scored more. I’m not a fan of the CHL either but he didn’t exactly light it on fire. One more year there where he scores well above PPG won’t kill his development.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad